Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

substitutes why would anyone be a sub?

#1 User is offline   croquetfan 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-November-22, 21:41

I have recently been a sub a few times, felt I should do my bit.
You get nothing in return, not even 5c in a pay tourney. You don't get to exclude random team games - you can't express any preferences.
For this you get to take over a hopeless contract because someone has done something stupid and quit.
surely BBO can do better!

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-November-22, 21:59

View Postcroquetfan, on 2017-November-22, 21:41, said:

I have recently been a sub a few times, felt I should do my bit.
You get nothing in return, not even 5c in a pay tourney. You don't get to exclude random team games - you can't express any preferences.
For this you get to take over a hopeless contract because someone has done something stupid and quit.

Some tournaments you can get BBO/ACBL/other juridisction points if place high enough even as a sub.
You can chose to substitute in only some tournaments. Team games seem to be able to recruit you even if you haven't offered to them.
Some of my better partners I met as a sub. If you can keep a good attitude in possibly a bad situation you may find a useful player.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-November-23, 01:48

View Postcroquetfan, on 2017-November-22, 21:41, said:

This is another personal bugbear with BBO: players who jump ship, leaving in the middle of hands. It's been said before, I know, but why BBO allow players to be at a table and disappear mid game automatically to join a tourney is totally ridiculous? It's even condoning it!

We are all aware of players who join tables, see a hand of 2HCPs and leave, or those who reach a hopeless contract, swear at partner, and then leave, or various other reasons, but why are they then allowed to join another table immediately without some penalty is beyond me. We are playing bridge, not musical chairs!

I actually think persistent offenders, even those who don't choose a choice expletive, should be banned from the site as it constitutes abuse. As for those that leave boards for other than a genuine reason in team games, they should at least be barred from other team games for at least a week, maybe a month. Yes, I know, how do you discern between those with a genuine reason and those without? Well, maybe the three strikes and you're out (barred for a month) rule would be a start.

And yes, I recognise BBO software would have to be changed to facilitate this but it is a persistent problem that won't go away.

#4 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2017-November-23, 01:54

Could anyone help me as to how to register as a substitute in the new mobile format of BBO? I use an apple I-Pad.

#5 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-23, 04:47

View PostThe_Badger, on 2017-November-23, 01:48, said:

I actually think persistent offenders

Unless someone swears before they leaves you can't tell if they have had a connection problem.
I've even seen someone swear and lose connection.
BBO does keep stats of how often people complete games and tourneys so there are consequences to repeatedly do this, which is shown if they invite you.
Some tournaments require certain statistics to enter.
Personally if someone swears or says something rude then leaves you have intent and there should be discipline but you bar someone their signed up as rudeuser55 in 5 minutes and back on.

#6 User is offline   heyrocky 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:mountains, college basketball, math

Posted 2017-November-23, 09:28

View Postmsjennifer, on 2017-November-23, 01:54, said:

Could anyone help me as to how to register as a substitute in the new mobile format of BBO? I use an apple I-Pad.

I have never found that feature on the mobile app, and am fairly certain it does not exist there,

#7 User is offline   trumpfirst 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-November-23, 13:25

The entire Substitution process on BBO is antiquated. It is an easy software rewrite to make it more dynamic, allow for intelligent choices and provide for a more seamless process. However, my guess is lack of funding, BBO continues to operate an analog system in a digital world.

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-23, 14:42

IMO the substitution process works just about as well as one could reasonably expect it to.

Many of my BBO friends I have found through subbing. Especially when you are new to BBO, don't have many friends, and getting tired of all the rude partners and table-hoppers, it's a good idea to sub frequently. Your partner will be grateful that someone is willing to sub and therefore it is much more likely to be a positive experience than if you use "take me to a table".
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#9 User is offline   aawk 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-23, 23:24

If you use the completion record in the table option and put it at 95% most table hoppers can't join you but you have to start your own table to do so.

For players who joined a tournament and got no time to finish a board but still join your table BBO could (or should) set a time buffer so if the tournament starts in lets say 5 minutes it is not possible to take a seat at another table.

And if players leave during a board or even before they bid holding a bad hand BBO could (or should) prevent them of hopping to another table before the board is finished.

Another suggestion I would make is that in a profile of any player you could block them as your partner and or block them from your table (official tournaments excluded of course).

And if players get angry just remember they are often the ones who made the mistake.

#10 User is offline   croquetfan 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-24, 03:13

View Posttrumpfirst, on 2017-November-23, 13:25, said:

The entire Substitution process on BBO is antiquated. It is an easy software rewrite to make it more dynamic, allow for intelligent choices and provide for a more seamless process. However, my guess is lack of funding, BBO continues to operate an analog system in a digital world.

Lack of funding might be a problem, but clubs like Sky would surely appreciate an easier system for their subs in a pay game.
If there was a button that said "I am willing to be a sub in this tournament" everyone should be happy. Then those money clubs could reward say a $BB for each 20 or 30 times a player volunteered to sub.
Even $1 per 100 times, fine!

#11 User is offline   msmaple 

• Pip

Posted 2017-November-24, 10:02

It seems to be the price we pay for being able to play bridge on a free site. I suspect the number of runners in paid tourneys is far less than those in free tourneys. I TD for the Beginners Intermediate Lounge twice a week and occasionally it seems there are more subs than the players who registered.
Part of the problem stems from players with multiple identities, blacklist someone from abandoning a game in the middle of a hand or towards the end of the tourney and they just register with another name. I try to keep track of runners but when you are scrambling to find subs to fill several abandoned seats there just isn't time, otherwise it holds up the game and causes much frustration. There is no TCR restriction for players in the BIL tourneys because these tourneys are intended for beginner and intermediate players and a TCR restriction would prevent newbies from joining. There are some players in the BIL tourneys who sub nearly every morning, they are my superstars.

On the plus side I have met many really great players who have become friends and even met some of them, I have also learned to recognize idiot in about 20 languages.

#12 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-24, 11:47

View Postmsmaple, on 2017-November-24, 10:02, said:

I suspect the number of runners in paid tourneys is far less than those in free tourneys.

Runners problem in paid tourneys. If less because more often playing with known partner.
$1.25 isn't stopping anyone from running.

#13 User is offline   t0by 

• Pip

Posted 2017-November-24, 15:31

Hi, kia ora, great opportunity for me to say thanks for all the FREE games. Its wonderful. I enjoy subbing for fun games and sometimes need to to bring my percentage up.

#14 User is offline   dave1hall 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-April-16, 12:50

as a relative newcomer to BBO, I like substituting. My tournament completion rate is unknown which keeps me out of some games. I have been a sub about 7-8 times. I have enjoyed playing with people from other countries. It seems I am welcome primarily because of the problems discussed above. It is free, I sometimes get to see great play and have had some excellent partners. The other times, just go along for the ride. Played a cue bid in a 1-2 fit the other day. Starting to learn the basics of Acol just to keep up. As a sub, I alert frequently, use chat to complement partners and opponents, enjoy the game. I do not care about points or winning anything.
The sub invitation comes up quickly. Yes, I have been sitting as a sub and have seen one of my opponents get mad and leave in the middle of the hand. Frustrating for all, particularly the regular players.
BTW: I am a virus bridge player, so I have time to burn. :):P

#15 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-07, 07:46

OP,

If you don’t like subbing, don’t do it. I have never done it myself, but I suppose it would be a good option for those who want to play, but none of their friends are online. Next time, ring someone up and join the tournament together.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#16 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-September-08, 15:21

View PostVampyr, on 2020-September-07, 07:46, said:

OP,

If you don’t like subbing, don’t do it.

The OP was 3 years ago.

#17 User is offline   dave1hall 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-September-08, 16:12

View Poststeve2005, on 2017-November-22, 21:59, said:

Some tournaments you can get BBO/ACBL/other juridisction points if place high enough even as a sub.
You can chose to substitute in only some tournaments. Team games seem to be able to recruit you even if you haven't offered to them.
Some of my better partners I met as a sub. If you can keep a good attitude in possibly a bad situation you may find a useful player.

when I first started my completion rates were low or unknown. A yellow advised playing substitute to get my rate up and now entering as a sub is easy. It was free also.
BTW - even if you just complete 1 hand as a sub, you get credit for completing the tournament.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users