Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Errant Robot Explanations

#1 User is offline   wcneumann 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-November-21, 19:31

It seems to me that the BBO Robot's bidding and explanation are frequently inconsistent in their HCP announcements; maybe 20% of the times where one cares. I've seen many hands where the robot has many fewer HCP's than what's announced in the explanation. I've seen fewer lies about total points, but there seem to be some.

I believe this is happening often enough to warrant a review of the bidding algorithms against the explanations to uncover and correct as many of these problems as possible.

On a related note, the robots are making some really strange bids...

All nonvul, I just had an auction proceed; P by Robot Partner, 4D, 5C by me, 5D, DBL, where the Robot's explanation was that he had 7-11 HCP, but all he had was QJxxx xxxx x xxx. Where do these crazy calls come from? I had another one where only we were vul where it went 3C, Dbl by me, 4C and the robot bid a gentle 4S on AQJ109xxxx Ax x x. Yes, we made it--with two overtricks. Sigh...

Does anyone care about these anomalies?

#2 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-November-22, 06:31

View Postwcneumann, on 2017-November-21, 19:31, said:

It seems to me that the BBO Robot's bidding and explanation are frequently inconsistent in their HCP announcements; maybe 20% of the times where one cares. I've seen many hands where the robot has many fewer HCP's than what's announced in the explanation. I've seen fewer lies about total points, but there seem to be some.

I believe this is happening often enough to warrant a review of the bidding algorithms against the explanations to uncover and correct as many of these problems as possible.

On a related note, the robots are making some really strange bids...

All nonvul, I just had an auction proceed; P by Robot Partner, 4D, 5C by me, 5D, DBL, where the Robot's explanation was that he had 7-11 HCP, but all he had was QJxxx xxxx x xxx. Where do these crazy calls come from? I had another one where only we were vul where it went 3C, Dbl by me, 4C and the robot bid a gentle 4S on AQJ109xxxx Ax x x. Yes, we made it--with two overtricks. Sigh...

Does anyone care about these anomalies?

we ALL care. BBO couldn't care less. They must have figured out there is sufficient legalese that they cannot be sued plus they have backing of Bill Gates and Warren Buffet whose bank of lawyers could have this tied up till long after we all are dead. Sad, but that's how I see it.

vrock

#3 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-November-22, 10:41

It's notoriously difficult to teach GIB what to do on freak hands, such as 9 card suits.

On the point count thing, I think it's a combination of 2 issues. GIB is allowed to round/sim/adjust by a little bit. And it can't really distinguish between offensive strong and defensive strength to make these doubles - after all, in support of clubs you could argue this hand is close to 7 points.

Can we manage to discuss GIB's issues without threatening lawsuits?
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#4 User is offline   wcneumann 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-November-23, 13:23

I ran into another absurdity today. The auction goes 1C, DBL, 2C, and my Robot North partner bids two spades. The explanation says he has 4+ Spades and 6 - 12 total points. He has Axx xxx xxx xxxx. How does three spades and a 4-count match the explanation or come close to a 2S bid? Only a mad programmer could dream this nonsense up.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users