raise or show shape

#21 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-November-22, 16:11

View Poststraube, on 2017-November-21, 09:35, said:

Let's say partner has shown 4 or more hearts and could hold a longer minor, you hold 1-3-4-5 and you know that together you have at least 21 hcps. You haven't shown a minor yet and in fact partner doesn't know anything about your shape. Your rebid will limit you to 2 or sometimes 3 hcps.

1) Would you rather...
A) raise to 2H, staying low
B) bid 3C to show exactly 1-3-4-5, getting to the best strain

2) Would you rather
A) raise to 2H
B) bid 2N to show exactly 1-3-4-5

The difference of course with this last one is that you have the chance to play 2N on a misfit.

I have a third question but it's better to lock in your answers for the first two as it's prejudicial.
Let's say you prefer a 2H raise for one or both situations, would it be enough to change your mind
about not bidding 2H if your 2H raise would then always guarantee 4 hearts?
Btw, I'm not interested in rebids of 2m or other solutions to show this pattern. That's not really the question.
Thanks for any opinions

Agree with the foobar consensus:
  • Given the binary choice, I would raise to 2. Especially at MPs, where the 2-level seems safer than the 2-level; and majors score more than minors. With a wider choice, I would rather do something else, e.g. rebid 1N or another suit.
  • Ditto.
  • If 2 is a 4-card raise, however, I would definitely opt for 3, 2N, or whatever; although I might also argue for the system to be changed in future.

#22 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-November-23, 10:41

A A Yes
If I have an agreement that 2 is always 4 then of course it changes my bid. But we have an explicit agreement that a 3-suiter raises on a 3 card suit as if it was 4, because of the value of immediate ruffing in the short trump hand.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users