BBO Discussion Forums: Your Lead - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your Lead

Poll: Your Lead (37 member(s) have cast votes)

What suit would you lead against this bidding?

1. Spades (6 votes [16.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.22%

2. Hearts (4 votes [10.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.81%

3. Diamonds (3 votes [8.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.11%

4. Clubs (24 votes [64.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-November-26, 12:49

This whole episode is quite confusing to me - and I admit I would have led a club and felt totally fixed by the result. Why?
First, what is the purpose of responding to show the club suit in a balanced 6322 8-point hand after an 18-19 point NT opening?
Second, how can a world class opponent use an ace asking bid with Qxx of diamonds with no guarantee of partner's control of that suit?

I have read that the Italians with the Blue Team thought there were worse bridge sins that reaching slam missing 2 aces, but I would not place this auction in that category. To me, it looks like a misunderstanding or the bidding of a team that thought themselves nearly hopelessly behind in a match.

If I have to guess that one of the (arguably) two or three best players ever has made a mistake, the game is too tough!
"For happily the Government of the United States, which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance, requires only that they who live under its protection, should demean themselves as good citizens.” - George Washington, 1790

#22 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-December-02, 02:14

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-November-26, 12:49, said:

This whole episode is quite confusing to me - and I admit I would have led a club and felt totally fixed by the result. Why?
First, what is the purpose of responding to show the club suit in a balanced 6322 8-point hand after an 18-19 point NT opening?
Second, how can a world class opponent use an ace asking bid with Qxx of diamonds with no guarantee of partner's control of that suit?

I have read that the Italians with the Blue Team thought there were worse bridge sins that reaching slam missing 2 aces, but I would not place this auction in that category. To me, it looks like a misunderstanding or the bidding of a team that thought themselves nearly hopelessly behind in a match.

If I have to guess that one of the (arguably) two or three best players ever has made a mistake, the game is too tough!

6322 suit is not balanced. is off balance. but i am with what you saying. i would have led a;so

#23 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-December-04, 15:19

View PostLBengtsson, on 2017-December-02, 02:14, said:

6322 suit is not balanced. is off balance. but i am with what you saying. i would have led a;so

Many consider the suit-length situation when speaking of balanced or unbalanced: 6322 and 7222 can be considered balanced compared to other 6-card and 7-card suit hands. :)
"For happily the Government of the United States, which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance, requires only that they who live under its protection, should demean themselves as good citizens.” - George Washington, 1790

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users