• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Mobile app 5.0 feedback thread

#41 User is offline   diap16 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-November-10, 14:30

I like the new version of the app but I too am disappointed that it does not support landscape mode on an iPad. Please can this be sorted?

#42 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-November-10, 16:26

The new ipad version is explained here. It explains why you can't.
http://www.bridgebas...on-50-released/
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#43 User is offline   ercm 

• Pip

Posted 2017-November-10, 18:08

Dragging your feet too long isn't an acceptable reason to launch an update without due consideration to the end user.Clearly BBO doesn't need to satisfy its users as the market isn't competitive enough.Its a case of like it or @&!?,.
Who ever uses an Ipad in portrait for the period of time required to play an evenings bridge.

#44 User is offline   julyjulie 

• Pip

Posted 2017-November-10, 18:32

View Postbarmar, on 2017-November-10, 09:37, said:

That's not it at all.

The old version was used Flash (the mobile app uses Adobe AIR, which is simply Flash outside the browser). As many users have reminded us, Flash is going away soon, we had to rewrite using more modern software (HTML5, Javascript, Phonegap). The urgency of this meant we couldn't wait until we implemented everything in the old app.

We'd been dragging our feet on this for too long.

Again saying this is it live with it. Defensive and not customer focus response! I understand about obsolete software, what i don’t understand is that you had to come up with such a horrible version. New software DOES allows you to create great things. Why not take a little longer to polish the new version?

#45 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-10, 18:37

Did the older version support landscape mode? The release notes just say landscape is not supported, no why there isn't landscape support.

#46 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-November-10, 18:42

My phone switched to landscape sometimes. I don't even know how I did it. found it annoying
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#47 User is offline   amrk 

• Pip

Posted 2017-November-10, 20:14

The lack of landscape mode is a huge downside. The rest of the app is improved, but this 'portrait only' approach is very inconvenient.

#48 User is offline   cjingram 

• Pip

Posted 2017-November-10, 20:32

And this is an 'Upgrade'. I loved the old version. This new one is TERRIBLE. Not to be able to use in landscape a huge problem. Nothing good ever lasts.....SAD.

#49 User is offline   stacy 

• PipPip

Posted 2017-November-10, 20:35

This new interface is quite horrible on my iPad. Previous “updates” have taken some time to feel familiar, but this one is a real problem. Portrait mode on iPad is awful; I hate that the robots’ bids are alerted and explained for no apparent reason; I don’t like how much of the table space the bidding box takes up and I really don’t like the multiple pull down menus taking up space at the top of the screen with the main menu at the bottom. You’ve gobbled up inches of screen space with stuff I don’t really need. BBO is much more usable in landscape mode, with or without a stand/keyboard.

#50 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-November-11, 02:41

Once I worked out that the results are in history tab, I was happy with the upgrade

#51 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-11, 02:51

I would guess the majority of apps these days can switch to landscape mode. You can change your device settings to turn off auto rotate if you don't like landscape although that usually applies to all apps. There are apps which can control which specific apps can be rotated.

#52 User is offline   bridgetlux 

• Pip

Posted 2017-November-11, 05:51

I Fully join the remarks already posted. PLease give us landscape mode Back for iPad, impossible to place Ipad on table.
Thanks🤓

#53 User is offline   heyrocky 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:mountains, college basketball, math

Posted 2017-November-11, 05:58

The good: I am startled how much faster the game is with the new version (iOS 11 on a few year old iPad); the new code is much more responsive. The display errors I used to see with the old version are not there so far.

The bad: To elaborate on the scoring history, I played in an individual tournament this morning, so I bounced around in both directions. Unfortunately, the scores as the tournament went on were listed as N/S and E/W, so I had to recall which direction I was sitting to interpret the score for each board. I can do that, but should I have to?

The odd: on a couple of hands this morning, the dealer was not indicated in the board number display until the dealer bid. I used to know who dealt based on the board number, when I played more live bridge, but I guess BBO has spoiled me into not remembering that any more.

More good: convention cards. I like how you decided to display them given the limitations of the mobile device screen.

If coding issues forced the takeaway of landscape mode, I can get that, but maybe it would have been better to say that up front; I think I saw that in this comment thread. It did seem odd that I had to flip my screen when I clicked on the comment thread in the app to read and add to this thread.

#54 User is offline   titoki 

• Pip

Posted 2017-November-11, 06:54

No fun! Ugly. Hard to negotiate. Can't find things at a glance. Can't review bidding. BRING BACK THE OLD. WHY CHANGE SOMETHING THAT WAS OK

#55 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-November-11, 07:28

To review bidding click on the box with the contract in it.

#56 User is offline   kronolith 

• Pip

Posted 2017-November-11, 12:00

Looking forward to the new desktop version: the only reason I had left to keep the dreaded Adobe Flash installed!

#57 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2017-November-11, 14:06

Players tend to be older. To skip accessibility issues such as landscape mode is not acceptable.
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#58 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-11, 19:56

The trend continues. Ever version BBO has foisted on us gets worse and worse. The original Windows client is easier, better, and faster than anything else and it hasn't been updated in 10 years.

#59 User is offline   ellenmcc 

• Pip

Posted 2017-November-12, 02:00

Testing internally is not the same as asking users to beta test new apps. Designers often miss things--like the lack of landscape mode here--that impact users immensely.

#60 User is offline   benrye 

• Pip

Posted 2017-November-12, 16:42

I agree more BBO is upgraded and more is worse....I already submit my opinion to "support bridge"....really fed up with these so "called" improvements

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users