Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIBBOs doubles are legendary GIBidding

#1 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-November-11, 06:42

Would you pull to 5H? I suppose this time makes some crazy sense. But am I basing this on results?

vrock

#2 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-November-11, 12:44

After looking at this for 10-15 minutes, I feel at this vulnerability it is safer to lose -100 (possibly -300) than guess whether +200 is on. LOTT usually works well with distributional hands, and North/South have bid their game boldly. Partner having bid 4 straight off isn't going to have a lot of defence. To find him with AKQJxxxx is more than I would expect. It is a difficult decision, mind you, and on another lead it goes down. On another day, with a different distribution, you return +500. C'est la vie.

#3 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-11, 17:06

View PostThe_Badger, on 2017-November-11, 12:44, said:

After looking at this for 10-15 minutes, I feel at this vulnerability it is safer to lose -100 (possibly -300) than guess whether +200 is on. LOTT usually works well with distributional hands, and North/South have bid their game boldly. Partner having bid 4 straight off isn't going to have a lot of defence. To find him with AKQJxxxx is more than I would expect. It is a difficult decision, mind you, and on another lead it goes down. On another day, with a different distribution, you return +500. C'est la vie.

Many issues Badger. GIBBO credibility is very low. Humans are more accustomed to doubles for penalty at high level and GIB with the same double sometimes has defensive HCP.
In this case the more I think about it, GIBs double describes the hand perfectly in context of the original 4H. Holding a stiff spade I might even think 6. Humans would probably bid 5H unless there were specific agreements with partner.
In short GIBBO's bidding, in this VERY RARE case is brilliant.

vrock

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-November-11, 20:54

View Postvirgosrock, on 2017-November-11, 17:06, said:

In short GIBBO's bidding, in this VERY RARE case is brilliant.

Gibs bidding is ridiculous! 6 isn't the worst contract ever and opener doesn't have that much.
Surely Gib should do something forcing rather than what is described as a weak jump of 4.
I don't care how many points Gib has! This a great hand and should look for slam or bid more hearts not make a penalty double with little or no defense!.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#5 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-11, 21:11

View Poststeve2005, on 2017-November-11, 20:54, said:

Gibs bidding is ridiculous! 6 isn't the worst contract ever and opener doesn't have that much.
Surely Gib should do something forcing rather than what is described as a weak jump of 4.
I don't care how many points Gib has! This a great hand and should look for slam or bid more hearts not make a penalty double with little or no defense!.

Seems obvious right Steve! Thus it is not going to happen. LOL
Bidding System is broke and they can't fix it however many patches they do.

Though if chess software can be designed to world class level why not bridge bidding? I mean at every stage you have a choice .. oh! screw it. I don't think I have enough chess knowledge LOL

vrock

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users