BBO Discussion Forums: The Ads are grinding BBO to a halt - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Ads are grinding BBO to a halt

#1 User is offline   Gazumper 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-November-08, 16:23

There seems to be a problem with some of the Ads in the ad bar. My CPU gets maxxed out and the game UI behaves strangely especially when the Ads switch for which the only workaround I've found is to resize the window when it happens. Sometimes you don't even know it's your turn until you come back and find you've been kicked.

Today for the first time a series of mispositioned videos started playing with full sound in the Ad bar, the UI froze up and I was forced to logout and back in midhand to get it working again. There was no "Report this Ad" button in the Ad.

The browser I am using is the latest version of Firefox Quantum 57 (32-bit) Windows 7 and I have whitelisted BBO Ads. When blacklisted the UI also behaves strange not matching the mouseclicks with where the pointer is.

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-November-08, 17:44

There are some highly annoying ads out there these days that do "interesting" things like using your processor to mine bitcoins, participate in DDOS attacks, and the like.

You really want to be using a good quality adblocker
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-November-08, 23:44

I'd let BBO support give you a definitive answer on this one, but Windows 7 was issued about 10 years ago and free Microsoft support ceased about 3 years ago. I think you probably need to upgrade.

#4 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-09, 01:18

View PostThe_Badger, on 2017-November-08, 23:44, said:

I'd let BBO support give you a definitive answer on this one, but Windows 7 was issued about 10 years ago and free Microsoft support ceased about 3 years ago. I think you probably need to upgrade.

Microsoft's site shows extended support for Windows ending on 14 January 2020. So they are still providing fixes and security updates. They're just not adding features to Windows 7 anymore.

#5 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-November-09, 13:37

Video ads and ads with sound shouldn't appear at all on BBO. However there are some ads that slip through the filters, and we have to hunt them by hand to block them. This is complicated with how many ads google style networks have, but we're doing our best to keep ads as clean and as non-intrusive as possible.

One simple and fast way to get rid of ads is to play something pay. Ads are hidden for a week as soon as you spend money on the site.

That said, I'll remind the company that provides ads for BBO to check the ads and make sure those video / sound ads are blocked properly.

There is a completely unrelated problem with Firefox and BBO, where mouse pointer clicks in places it shouldn't, windows resize in strange ways and other weirdness. That's not related to ads, and you should be able to fix it by either deleting and reinstalling Firefox or by switching to a different browser.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users