Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you lead?

#1 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-November-12, 06:19

Sorry should really not post this here but so interesting and I am starting to recognize names of frequent responders/post-ers.

you hand is 5521 spades headed by ten (no 9), hearts headed by jack (no ten), rags in d and c.

righty deals and opens 1d-p-1d-p-2NT-p-3c(nmf)-4NT(rkc in c)-5h-6nt.

i'll post the full hand once i get responses.

Your lead?

vrock

#2 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-November-12, 06:23

Well, I'm not leading a diamond since they both bid the suit at the one-level. I'm not leading a club since RHO has randomly asked for keycards after limiting their hand. And partner didn't double 5H for the lead, so I guess it's a spade.

Or do we get more sensible bidding to guide us?

#3 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-12, 06:33

View Postvirgosrock, on 2017-November-12, 06:19, said:

Sorry should really not post this here but so interesting and I am starting to recognize names of frequent responders/post-ers.

you hand is 5521 spades headed by ten (no 9), hearts headed by jack (no ten), rags in d and c.

righty deals and opens 1d-p-1d-p-2NT-p-3c(nmf)-4NT(rkc in c)-5h-6nt.

i'll post the full hand once i get responses.

Your lead?

vrock

You’ll get responses once you post the auction properly.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-November-12, 10:19

View Postgordontd, on 2017-November-12, 06:33, said:

You'll get responses once you post the auction properly.

1-1 second bid should be 1M which major? makes big difference.

Was the response to 3 NMF really to ask KC? This is bizarre.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#5 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-13, 04:39

View Poststeve2005, on 2017-November-12, 10:19, said:

1-1 second bid should be 1M which major? makes big difference.

Was the response to 3 NMF really to ask KC? This is bizarre.

not sure what is not clear in the posted auction. Let's try again. We pass throughout.
1d-1s-2nt-3c(nmf)-4nt(rkc clubs per blurb)-5H-6NT

does this help?

vrock

#6 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-November-13, 05:35

A bit of a wham-bam auction in which I agree with steve2005 is a little bizarre, though we have to analyse it with the information given.

Your hand is poor, so if there is a setting trick it's likely to come from partner. He had an opportunity to dbl. 6NT which I would have seen as asking for a lead. That's my interpretation. A looks wrong and I fully expect declarer to have a solid(ish) suit to bid like this. A could compromise partner's holding, so I'm going to lead a small , the unbid suit.

However, I have a gut feeling that a lead might work best as it takes away an entry from dummy if declarer has a singleton and needs that as an entry later on. When declarer runs that (assumed) suit, partner is the one who's likely to be squeezed.

#7 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-13, 06:27

View PostThe_Badger, on 2017-November-13, 05:35, said:

A bit of a wham-bam auction in which I agree with steve2005 is a little bizarre, though we have to analyse it with the information given.

Your hand is poor, so if there is a setting trick it's likely to come from partner. He had an opportunity to dbl. 6NT which I would have seen as asking for a lead. That's my interpretation. A looks wrong and I fully expect declarer to have a solid(ish) suit to bid like this. A could compromise partner's holding, so I'm going to lead a small , the unbid suit.

However, I have a gut feeling that a lead might work best as it takes away an entry from dummy if declarer has a singleton and needs that as an entry later on. When declarer runs that (assumed) suit, partner is the one who's likely to be squeezed.

Kudos to http://www.bridgebas.../user/8688-sfi/ for leading a spade. Brilliant and after-the-fact "obvious". Badger's gut feel perfect. Perhaps gut feel is because it was posted as a problem. btw, other than a low-level NT by them, specifically 1NT actually, there is NO concept of leading dummy's first bid suit in GIBBO's abysmal Bidding World.

here is the hand in all its glory. I tend to suspect declarer is a lunatic. Another clue from the bidding is it looks like declarer was merely waiting to hear spade from dummy.

Kicking myself in rump. This is why we play bridge. To punish ourselves.

vrock

#8 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-13, 06:59

View Postvirgosrock, on 2017-November-13, 04:39, said:

not sure what is not clear in the posted auction. Let's try again. We pass throughout.
1d-1s-2nt-3c(nmf)-4nt(rkc clubs per blurb)-5H-6NT

does this help?

It certainly helps in that it avoids the insufficient bid in the original post and lets us know which suits the opponents had bid.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#9 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-13, 08:00

View Postgordontd, on 2017-November-13, 06:59, said:

It certainly helps in that it avoids the insufficient bid in the original post and lets us know which suits the opponents had bid.

oh! I see it now. 1d-p-1d instead of 1d-p-1s. You could have said that LOL. Us aging 2-finger typists may occasionally make these mistakes PLUS s and d are right next each other on the keyboard.

vrock

#10 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bridge, running, spectator sports, excel, keeping track of all kinds of stuff

Posted 2017-November-14, 17:09

View Postvirgosrock, on 2017-November-13, 08:00, said:

oh! I see it now. 1d-p-1d instead of 1d-p-1s. You could have said that LOL. Us aging 2-finger typists may occasionally make these mistakes PLUS s and d are right next each other on the keyboard.

vrock

These one-line auction descriptions have always confused me. I like em just the way they are in bidding box, with all the passes and S-W-N-E heading. Even though it can take a few more lines it is well worth the trouble.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users