BBO Discussion Forums: Why bid Blackwood if you were going to do this? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why bid Blackwood if you were going to do this?

#1 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-October-26, 23:43

Cost me 8 IMPs which would have placed me 3rd in the daylong instead of 11th :( (Well of course, probably less since the same thing happened at a number of other tables.)

#2 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-October-27, 01:18

Genuine sympathy. That must have been annoying. You were going to end up in a 4-4 minor suit slam (that's always awkward to find) and GIB ducked out. GIB probably feared the suit was open for 2 quick defensive tricks, and without a 4 'ace' RKCB response it chickened.

GIB should have just raised you to 4 and let the strong hand Blackwood and decide the final contract, as invariably it's usually better for the strong hand to take control.

Yes, really annoying.

#3 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-October-27, 04:00

View Postsmerriman, on 2017-October-26, 23:43, said:

Cost me 8 IMPs which would have placed me 3rd in the daylong instead of 11th :( (Well of course, probably less since the same thing happened at a number of other tables.)

Some fuzzy logic. you know gib has aq of h. DK is protected. if ready to give up on 7 6C is clear over 4NT. great spades. great clubs. h may break 3-3 or gib may have 6. GIB has too many holes. Could have just bid 4c. But in a simulation based stupid bidding system all bets are off.

Bottom line if willing to give up on 7, 4NT-6C. Also GIB does not know of 24 hcp. Could be 19 HCP.

vrock

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-October-27, 09:06

Blackwood/KC is one of the most abused conventions out there. Gib is a repeat offender!
Why is Gib ever bidding KC when it's partner has opened 2? This should never happen.
Gib does not have a control. How is it going to decide on slam unless they pocess all KC's.
Gib should raise to 4 and let the 2 opener take control.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#5 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-27, 10:27

View Poststeve2005, on 2017-October-27, 09:06, said:

Blackwood/KC is one of the most abused conventions out there. Gib is a repeat offender!
Why is Gib ever bidding KC when it's partner has opened 2? This should never happen.
Gib does not have a control. How is it going to decide on slam unless they process all KC's.
Gib should raise to 4 and let the 2 opener take control.

GIBBO probably simulated based on 0.000000000000000000000000000000001 % of possibilities and came up with its bid. Pshaw Simulation-based bidding!

vrock

#6 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-27, 12:22

Great bidding by GIB. Partner showed 0 or 3 keycards so maybe partner, who opened a strong 2 bid, didn't have any keycards. Passing allowed partner to bid on with 3 keycards instead of 0 keycards. Hmmm, there may be a slight flaw in that logic B-)

#7 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-27, 13:28

View Postvirgosrock, on 2017-October-27, 04:00, said:

Some fuzzy logic. you know gib has aq of h. DK is protected. if ready to give up on 7 6C is clear over 4NT. great spades. great clubs. h may break 3-3 or gib may have 6. GIB has too many holes. Could have just bid 4c. But in a simulation based stupid bidding system all bets are off.

View Postvirgosrock, on 2017-October-27, 10:27, said:

GIBBO probably simulated based on 0.000000000000000000000000000000001 % of possibilities and came up with its bid. Pshaw Simulation-based bidding!

I appreciate you getting involved with this forum, but please get to learn a bit more about how GIB works before making these sorts of assertions. This has absolutely nothing at all to do with simulations - this is basic GIB who runs no simulations during the bidding.

And 6 clubs is ludicrous over 4NT, because it shows an odd number of keycards and a void in either diamonds or hearts.

#8 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-27, 15:38

View Postsmerriman, on 2017-October-27, 13:28, said:

I appreciate you getting involved with this forum, but please get to learn a bit more about how GIB works before making these sorts of assertions. This has absolutely nothing at all to do with simulations - this is basic GIB who runs no simulations during the bidding.

And 6 clubs is ludicrous over 4NT, because it shows an odd number of keycards and a void in either diamonds or hearts.

fair enough will keep in mind that no simulations are involved vis-a-vis bidding. Does this mean it is following "rules" or "methods" ?
Re "ludicrous because 6C is a void in h/d" I have no means of knowing apriori. I would know only if I was in the auction and I happened to mouse-over 6C.
Hence I disagree with the ludicrousness about the meaning of 4nt-6c

vrock

#9 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-27, 16:04

It follows a gigantic set of rules. You can see what it used to look like many many years ago here: http://orig.gibware.com/bidding/

It's not a good idea playing with GIB if you don't know its system! How it plays Blackwood is clearly outlined here: https://www.bridgeba...ystem_notes.php

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users