BBO Discussion Forums: Better Defensive options after opponents start 1X-1Y? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Better Defensive options after opponents start 1X-1Y?

#1 User is offline   perko90 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-October-21, 00:56

There seems to be too much redundancy in the meanings of bids when the opponents start 1X-1Y.
Often 1NT, 2NT, 2X and 2Y all show some form of extra shape in the 2 unbid suits (usually 5-5).
While we retain the natural meaning of 1NT when NV in my current partnership, we don't have much differentiation among the other bids. Maybe 2X should be natural if X is a minor?
I'm curious to hear what others play. Any recommendations?

#2 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-October-21, 01:24

View Postperko90, on 2017-October-21, 00:56, said:

There seems to be too much redundancy in the meanings of bids when the opponents start 1X-1Y.
Often 1NT, 2NT, 2X and 2Y all show some form of extra shape in the 2 unbid suits (usually 5-5).
While we retain the natural meaning of 1NT when NV in my current partnership, we don't have much differentiation among the other bids. Maybe 2X should be natural if X is a minor?
I'm curious to hear what others play. Any recommendations?

I've always played 2X and 2Y as natural. It is common that opener's 1X could be three small and/or responder's 1Y could be four small! And you have other ways to show the unbid suits.

What I prefer to play is:

Double = sound takeout of Y (normally includes support for X)
1NT = takeout of both X and Y, can be light if more than 4-4 in the unbids
2X, 2Y = natural
2NT = lots of shape in the unbids (at least 5-5, often 5-6)
Pass followed by doubling 2X or 1NT if/when it comes back around = takeout of X (but usually converted to penalties).

A lot of people seem to prefer 1NT natural here, but I'm unconvinced for a number of reasons.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#3 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-October-21, 01:37

So the auction goes, for example,

1* - pass - 1 - 2**

(2+*), and you feel that should be natural**

I personally don't like it because you are under the opening bidder and he may have a genuine suit as opposed to a possible two card suit; and, he now has other options available to him if you interfere in the bidding. I'd rather wait and see how he responds to his partner's bid first and then consider carefully balancing later. If your partner can't overcall 1 then he's unlikely to have anything to help you.

The percentage of hands where a 2 bid shows a genuine suit and is strong enough to compete I feel will be low too. I'd rather use the bid for two-suited hands where you can compete.

#4 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-21, 02:46

Given that your opponents are in a forcing auction, it should be rare that you want to step in. Bids will usually be based on shape.

If don't want to bid their suits naturally, you can at least get more definition into your two-suited overcall by playing 2X = 5-6 shape and 2y = 6-5 shape.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users