BBO Discussion Forums: Your Next Bid - Again - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your Next Bid - Again

Poll: Your Next Bid - Again (23 member(s) have cast votes)

What Bid Would You Make?

1. 3 Hearts (7 votes [30.43%])

Percentage of vote: 30.43%

2. 3 Spades (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 3 No Trumps (5 votes [21.74%])

Percentage of vote: 21.74%

4. 4 Diamonds (1 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

5. 4 Hearts (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Other (10 votes [43.48%])

Percentage of vote: 43.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-October-16, 12:37

It depends what 2NT means.

If 2NT is natural, then it has to show a good hand, because advancer shows only 7+ or so. You can't bid 2NT with a 10-count; you'll be overboard if partner passes with a minimum. I would think 15-16 is about right; maybe a bad 17. In that case, I would not have bid 3C as advancer; I would have bid 3NT. Advancer has a much better hand than a minimum. The As will help stop that suit; the KT9x D ought to be worth more than 3 HCP; the clubs could be a source of tricks; and Tx could solidify partner's 5-card H holding. Having failed to bid 3NT over 2NT, I would do so now.

But I honestly think 2NT here should be extended good-bad. How is overcaller supposed to distinguish

xx AKxxxx QJxx x

from

xx AKxxx AQxx Kxx?

Both of these hands overcall 2H over 1S. If your answer is that the second one cue-bids 3S or bids 4D after the actual continuation of the auction, remember that advancer could have a bad 7-count.

The better way is to have a direct 3m bid show the invite hand, and a 2NT relay to 3C show either a minimum 2H overcall (most common) or else some sort of two-suited moose that wasn't suitable for a double or a Michaels bid (rare).

If 2NT is a relay to 3C, then partner is showing a minimum overcall with a diamond fit. He just wants to play 3D, so you should pass.

Cheers,
Mike

#22 User is offline   marklaf 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-October-16, 20:36

If 2nt is natural and invitational--then bid 3nt or pass as you like. If 2nt is a scramble then bid 3 heats--partner should have 5 good hearts or 6 hearts and 3 diamonds. Without discussion I would take 2nt as natural and pass--bidding 3 clubs is very bad. If partner has clubs no trump will play well.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users