• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's your line?

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-October-09, 10:11

IMPs Gold Cup

East leads the queen of diamonds against your game and you win in dummy and play a spade to the seven, East discarding a club (the Vugraph record shows a diamond but that seems unlikely). Now you lead the ten of hearts which holds and another heart. East wins the ace, West showing out and discarding a club, and exits with the jack of diamonds which you duck, and another diamond, all following. What now? Gunnar Hallberg seemed to go off in this, but the Vugraph record seems to show him making 10 tricks.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-09, 10:31

Why is W leading when N is declaring ?

#3 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-October-09, 13:24

I'm assuming East leads the Q. From the play and bidding up to declarer winning with K, East is most likely to be 0445. Don't see it's too difficult to make the contract with 4 1 2 and 2 or alternatively 2 4 2 and 1.

After K wins, cash K and play on , it doesn't matter if West holds up or not: either West or East is endplayed after the last is cashed, assuming are 4-4

#4 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-11, 06:03

View PostThe_Badger, on 2017-October-09, 13:24, said:

I'm assuming East leads the Q. From the play and bidding up to declarer winning with K, East is most likely to be 0445. Don't see it's too difficult to make the contract with 4 1 2 and 2 or alternatively 2 4 2 and 1.

After K wins, cash K and play on , it doesn't matter if West holds up or not: either West or East is endplayed after the last is cashed, assuming are 4-4

I expect the Vugraph record was wrong, as Gunnar Hallberg, a top declarer, went one off. I shall see him tonight probably and ask him or his victorious Gold Cup teammates what actually happened.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-October-11, 06:39

View Postlamford, on 2017-October-09, 10:11, said:

IMPs Gold Cup
West leads the queen of diamonds against your game and you win in dummy and play a spade to the seven, East discarding a club (the Vugraph record shows a diamond but that seems unlikely). Now you lead the ten of hearts which holds and another heart. East wins the ace, West showing out and discarding a club, and exits with the jack of diamonds which you duck, and another diamond, all following. What now? Gunnar Hallberg seemed to go off in this, but the Vugraph record seems to show him making 10 tricks.

On layouts like that on the left, Gib says there are several successful lines.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users