• You cannot reply to this topic

Another IB and a coommon one

#1 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-October-06, 03:42

Here is another insufficient bid. The auction:
2NT-(p)-2/3-(p)-4-a.p.
My 2NT is 20-22 HCP, my partner bids 2, not accepted. The TD asks my partner away from the table about her bid, which was a transfer to hearts but she just pulled the card for after a 1NT opening. It's a not uncommon mistake, at least over here. The TD decided that 3 was a comparable call, which I alerted as having no agreement after an IB, and with a maximum hand with four hearts I raised to 4.
Do you agree with the TD that 3 is a comparable call, according to Law 27B1b? Would you have allowed 3 under 27B1a? Would both calls been acceptable? And what about my 4?

The hands (more or less):

Joost

#2 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-October-06, 03:53

View Postsanst, on 2017-October-06, 03:42, said:

2NT-(p)-2/3-(p)-4-a.p.
My 2NT is 20-22 HCP, my partner bids 2, not accepted. The TD asks my partner away from the table about her bid, which was a transfer to hearts but she just pulled the card for after a 1NT opening. It's a not uncommon mistake, at least over here. The TD decided that 3 was a comparable call, which I alerted as having no agreement after an IB, and with a maximum hand with four hearts I raised to 4.
Do you agree with the TD that 3 is a comparable call, according to Law 27B1b? Would you have allowed 3 under 27B1a? Would both calls been acceptable? And what about my 4?

Key question:
What is the agreement on 3 in the auction
2NT-(p)-3 ?

I see no problem if it (too) is transfer to hearts.

#3 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-06, 05:58

It seems a good example of the law working as intended. You got to have the auction you would have had without the insufficient bid. No, you couldn't replace it with 3H unless you weren't playing transfer bids.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#4 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-06, 06:14

View Postpran, on 2017-October-06, 03:53, said:

Key question:
2NT-(p)-3 ?

It is.
Joost

#5 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2017-October-06, 07:38

View Postpran, on 2017-October-06, 03:53, said:

Key question:
2NT-(p)-3 ?

View Postsanst, on 2017-October-06, 06:14, said:

It is.

Then there should be absolutely no doubt about 3 being a comparable call in this situation.

#6 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-09, 04:22

I alerted as having no agreement after an IB,

The ruling seems fine, but is this correct? I don't think you can vary your agreements after your own IB, so it seems that you do have an agreement about what 3 shows here...

#7 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2017-October-16, 13:16

2NT-(p)-2/3-(p)-4-a.p.

3 is allowed because it is the cheapest call that shows hearts. It happens to also be a comparable call, but in this case, it does not need to be comparable.

#8 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-16, 14:31

Substitution of 3 for the insufficient 2, assuming that in 2NT-3 (no IB) 3 would be a transfer to hearts and that in 1NT-2, 2 would be a transfer to hearts, is permitted under Law 27B1{a). That 3 is a comparable call under Law 23 really makes no difference. Also, OP's 4 bid is fine.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-16, 17:38

View PostBudH, on 2017-October-16, 13:16, said:

3 is allowed because it is the cheapest call that shows hearts. It happens to also be a comparable call, but in this case, it does not need to be comparable.

A call never "needs" to be comparable, but if it isn't partner is barred.

Saying that there is o agreement about 3 is incorrect. The replacement call has the meaning it would always have had. The auction can continue us as normal, subject to being adjusted later.in this case it does not seem as though that will be necessary.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-16, 19:58

View PostVampyr, on 2017-October-16, 17:38, said:

Correction of an IB may be allowed under Law 27B1{a}. If so, the correction is presumably comparable, in the sense of Law 23A, to the IB, but as director I wouldn't waste time or energy thinking about that. If 27B1{a} applies, I'm not concerned about 27B1{b} or 23A.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#11 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-October-16, 22:48

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-October-16, 19:58, said:

Correction of an IB may be allowed under Law 27B1{a}. If so, the correction is presumably comparable, in the sense of Law 23A, to the IB, but as director I wouldn't waste time or energy thinking about that. If 27B1{a} applies, I'm not concerned about 27B1{b} or 23A.

Oh, I see now. A "comparable call" is one that doesn't specify the same denomination(s). So it doesn't really exist. That's fine then.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#12 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-17, 01:26

View PostVampyr, on 2017-October-16, 22:48, said:

Oh, I see now. A "comparable call" is one that doesn't specify the same denomination(s). So it doesn't really exist. That's fine then.

Strange how much time and effort you put into complaining about something you say doesn't exist.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#13 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2017-October-17, 02:17

A call that specifies the same denomination at the lowest level is now automatically allowed. 27B1. it doesn't have to be a 'comparable call' e.g. if you bid 1NT - intending it to be 6-9 balanced, no denomination, and you have to replace it with 2NT (notionally 11-12 balanced, no denominaton) then that is not a comparable call, but it is allowed (NOS are protected against damage if the outcome of the hand could have been different without the IB)

I assume an example would be if the OS stay in 2NT for +120 whereas otherwise the opponents would have played in 2 for -110.

PS - what would you regard the second double as showing in this auction.

1NT - P - 2 (announced Spades) - 3
X (3-card support, not alerted) - P - 2 (accepted) - 3
X - AP

Presumably the second double has to be alerted as 'no partnership agreement' - I haven't discussed this auction with partner for some unknown reason.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#14 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-October-17, 08:28

You're making a common logical mistake. A call that specifies the same denomination might not be a comparable call (e.g. making the bid sufficient might show a different strength range). That doesn't imply that a comparable call doesn't specifies the same denomination.

#15 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-17, 10:27

View Postweejonnie, on 2017-October-17, 02:17, said:

A call that specifies the same denomination at the lowest level is now automatically allowed. 27B1. it doesn't have to be a 'comparable call' e.g. if you bid 1NT - intending it to be 6-9 balanced, no denomination, and you have to replace it with 2NT (notionally 11-12 balanced, no denominaton) then that is not a comparable call, but it is allowed (NOS are protected against damage if the outcome of the hand could have been different without the IB)

This all seems fairly straightforward, but the latest discussion has got me all confused again when I thought I had things sorted out! If we always allow the lowest bid that specifies the same denomination as the IB, then surely we are back with the impossibility of deciding what the IB shows? In our discussion of comparable bids, I thought we had managed to avoid this, because it was OK if the meaning was comparable to one of the potential meanings of the IB.

So does 2N - 2 specify diamonds or hearts? Is it the case that we don't need to answer this question for the purposes of Law 23A, but we still need to answer it for the purposes of Law 27B1a?

#16 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-October-17, 17:18

View Postgordontd, on 2017-October-17, 01:26, said:

Strange how much time and effort you put into complaining about something you say doesn't exist.

I didn't realise than that a "comparable call" could not possibly exist. These discussions have helped me to realise it.

View PostWellSpyder, on 2017-October-17, 10:27, said:

This all seems fairly straightforward, but the latest discussion has got me all confused again when I thought I had things sorted out! If we always allow the lowest bid that specifies the same denomination as the IB, then surely we are back with the impossibility of deciding what the IB shows? In our discussion of comparable bids, I thought we had managed to avoid this, because it was OK if the meaning was comparable to one of the potential meanings of the IB.

So does 2N - 2 specify diamonds or hearts? Is it the case that we don't need to answer this question for the purposes of Law 23A, but we still need to answer it for the purposes of Law 27B1a?

I think you are supposed to say that if you meant to bid diamonds you make your lowest call, if any, that shows diamonds. If you meant to specify hearts you may make your lowest call, if any, that specifies hearts. Maybe in some cases it wouldn't have to be the lowest, but that would be at the discretion of the (possibly untrained and inexperienced club) director.

Otherwise partner is barred.

As to the comment above about different strengths, obviously this may be the case, but the partner must assume that the replacement call is what it means according to their system.

#17 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2017-October-17, 18:42

View PostVampyr, on 2017-October-16, 17:38, said:

Saying that there is o agreement about 3 is incorrect. The replacement call has the meaning it would always have had. The auction can continue us as normal, subject to being adjusted later.in this case it does not seem as though that will be necessary.

No, to avoid partner from being required to pass for the rest of the auction (and to avoid any later lead penalties if becoming a defender later), the offender must either

1. make the cheapest bid which specifies the same denomination(s). (Note it doesn't say "call", so presumably a negative double cannot be used to meet this criteria)

OR

2. make a comparable call.

If the substituted call is not comparable, but meets the criteria #1, offender's partner is not barred and no lead penalties apply.

Yes, it will often be the case that the substituted call is a bid which meets both criteria. But it is possible for only criteria #1 to be satisfied.

#18 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-October-17, 18:44

OK, well what on earth is a "comparable call" then?

I can think of a few examples, like a negative double which might, in rare cases, be comparable, and maybe when they come in over your Blackwood bid and partner changes the IB to DOPI, but it would be nice to know if this is what is meant.

I do not see how a bid that fits criterion #1 can be not comparable.what aspects of the bid are being compared?

#19 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-18, 00:22

View PostVampyr, on 2017-October-17, 18:44, said:

I do not see how a bid that fits criterion #1 can be not comparable.what aspects of the bid are being compared?

1H-(2C)-1NT replaced with 2NT
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#20 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2017-October-18, 05:55

View Postgordontd, on 2017-October-18, 00:22, said:

1H-(2C)-1NT replaced with 2NT

I completely agree that this is not a comparable call, but it does comply with 27B1(a). However, whenever the call chosen is not a comparable call, the TD can, nay should, invariably award an adjusted score. In the example you quote above the opening bidder knows that the responder seems to have 5-10 points, and has elected not to replace 1NT with Pass silencing his partner. What else can he have but a balanced 9-10 count with a club stop? If the opener bids 3NT and makes it, then "without assistance gained through the infraction the outcome of the board could well have been different" and the same applies if opener elects to pass and 2NT is a good result. For all practical purposes the replacement call has to be a comparable call, and that is how it should be.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google