BBO Discussion Forums: competitive auction need tighter ranges - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

competitive auction need tighter ranges

#1 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-October-04, 04:05

A lot of ranges need tweaking here to try and get to the more reasonable 5 (though still failing as cards lie) instead of the rather hopeless 6.
1- Should 3D really show 16-22?? To me, with the 2c free bid and the spade raise, I don't think it should really be that strong. Strong hands should double/bid 3S IMO. 3D should just show long diamonds IMO and min.
3d should only be 16+ if GIB wanted to play Good/Bad 2nt, which is probably too fancy for the general BBO pop.
2- 4C should have some upper limit especially if 3d is adjusted to be NF. If 3d is really supposed to be 16+ then maybe 4c should be F.
3- 4d surely should have some lower upper limit, 16-18 at this point if not less.
4- 4nt surely is too much, 5d should be plenty?

#2 User is offline   spotlight7 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-October-04, 09:24

Try out Good/Bad 2NT* in competition.

After they bid to your right, 3D suggests 'jump rebid' values.

2NT* first and 3D next suggests minimum opening with long Ds.

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-October-04, 09:59

View PostStephen Tu, on 2017-October-04, 04:05, said:

A lot of ranges need tweaking here to try and get to the more reasonable 5 (though still failing as cards lie) instead of the rather hopeless 6.
1- Should 3D really show 16-22?? To me, with the 2c free bid and the spade raise, I don't think it should really be that strong. Strong hands should double/bid 3S IMO. 3D should just show long diamonds IMO and min.
3d should only be 16+ if GIB wanted to play Good/Bad 2nt, which is probably too fancy for the general BBO pop.
2- 4C should have some upper limit especially if 3d is adjusted to be NF. If 3d is really supposed to be 16+ then maybe 4c should be F.
3- 4d surely should have some lower upper limit, 16-18 at this point if not less.
4- 4nt surely is too much, 5d should be plenty?

• For non-robot competition, a thread detailing contexts in which good-bad 2N applies and the nuances thereof would help me.
  • Anyway, I agree that neither 3 nor 4 should be forcing.
  • And 4 shouldn't promise the earth.
  • Gib seems reluctant to raise with a singleton; and seems to think that 4N (RKC) is a sensible alternative.

#4 User is offline   spotlight7 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-October-04, 12:14

Good Bad Two No Trump - Larry Cohen - Bridge Guys

Try this site for Good/Bad 2NT* auctions

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users