BBO Discussion Forums: Dealng with 'awkward' squad at club. - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dealng with 'awkward' squad at club.

#21 User is offline   maartenxq 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-September-26, 07:56

View Post661_Pete, on 2017-September-25, 01:49, said:

Actually, I'm sorely tempted, if I get her as partner, to 'psyche'. It may not be very ethical, but it would certainly discompose her (especially if I made sure she ended up having to play the silly contract). And, more to the point, it would amuse the oppos....

I presume you are not playing for money, so if it amuses you go ahead. Nothing wrong with a psyche, ethically btw. It will however not change things. I get the impression your friend belongs to the human subspecies which never makes mistakes, sees failure all around and is totally immune for what feedback whatsoever.
If teasing or other tong in cheek tactics amuse you go ahead but it will be your pleasure only. If playing for money, which I did with such a character, suffering in silence is the cheapest, if not the most agreeable method.

Maarten Baltussen

#22 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-September-26, 08:27

Best thing to do is remain calm and polite at all times. It's never a good idea to fuel the conflict or retaliate. Like Vampyr said, she will get bored eventually, the only fun part in all this is if people react.

#23 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-September-26, 09:36

View Post661_Pete, on 2017-September-26, 06:01, said:

*I haven't a clue why....

You haven't a clue why the Stop card is used? After a jump in bid, and in some countries after all competitive bids at the three level, it is assumed that LHO may need some extra time to; is usually often interpreted as 10 extra seconds of thinking time.

If you hold the stop card out for approximately 10 seconds, left-hand opponent can use this time to think without also trying to keep track of how much time he is taking. If you control the time, nobody has to worry about a possible break in tempo, unless it exceeds the 10 seconds by a fair amount.

I am of the opinion that if the Stop card is removed prematurely you can bid when you like, up to about 10 or so seconds. I don't think that this is supported in English regulations, but I think that that is a mistake. I would also like to see a small PP when a call is made before the Stop card is taken away, but this happens often, so it would be inconvenient to call the director every time it happens. But the players who bid before the Stop card is removed are generally too weak to make any inferences from a break in tempo.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#24 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-26, 09:59

View Postfourdad, on 2017-September-25, 15:45, said:

OR..."Excuse me, if I valued your opinion I would pay you for lessons. Since I have not I would appreciate your not giving me any."

Sarcasm and snarkiness is not likely to make things any more pleasant.

Be the better person.

#25 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-01, 13:57

Some people here may remember this line from the end of a Bill Cosby routine: "... and then you walk away, passively." B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#26 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-01, 14:35

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-October-01, 13:57, said:

Some people here may remember this line from the end of a Bill Cosby routine: "... and then you walk away, passively." B-)

These days I have a hard time taking advice on interpersonal issues from Cosby.

#27 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-04, 04:41

normally in these situations there's some truth and a lot of culpability on both sides.

#28 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-04, 16:34

View Postbarmar, on 2017-October-01, 14:35, said:

These days I have a hard time taking advice on interpersonal issues from Cosby.

Let's not make this about his personal problems. Whether he's guilty or innocent of the accusations leveled against him doesn't change the fact that his comedy albums were and are funny.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#29 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-December-02, 14:40

Quick update.

A few days ago, playing our regular chicago, I found myself partnering the lady in question - for the first time since I started this thread.

She couldn't have been sweeter!
She started off with a chuckle: "don't expect anything from me, I haven't had anything more than 9 points all morning...." As it turned out, some of this karma seems to have transferred to me, because in all the four hands I played with her, I couldn't muster a single bid (and I didn't psyche). But it was all very agreeable and light-hearted. Clearly any past 'differences' were forgotten...

I think therefore, the moral is, don't rush into judgement on fellow-players based on one or two bad encounters. As far as I'm concerned this little matter is closed. :D

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users