Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reviewing possibilities

#1 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-September-21, 14:44

I have only recently been trying the robot tourneys, the 25 cent ones where you get the good bots. A recent auction:

RHO opened 1H and then the opponents stayed silent.
Our auction, after teh 1H, went
X 1S
2C 2H
3NT

Ok, I made it. On a somewhat lucky lie. Later realized I had misbid. I have three spades so surely I should have bid 2S over 2H. Bot could then bid 3C, he held only four spades, after which I could have bid 3H and hopefully then Bot bids 3NT. Bot held Qxx of hearts, I held Ax so clearly there is good reason to have Bot declare.

I got to wondering. If I had, correctly, bid 2S would the auction have continued 3C-3H-3NT?

Can I put the hands into some gadget and see what Bot would have done? If the answer is no then you can take this as a suggestion for the software.
Ken

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-21, 15:15

View Postkenberg, on 2017-September-21, 14:44, said:

I have only recently been trying the robot tourneys, the 25 cent ones where you get the good bots.

Good bots? When did BBO add "Jack" robots? Oh, I guess you meant "advanced" GIB robots.

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-September-21, 17:12

View Postkenberg, on 2017-September-21, 14:44, said:

I have only recently been trying the robot tourneys, the 25 cent ones where you get the good bots. A recent auction:
RHO opened 1H and then the opponents stayed silent.
Our auction, after teh 1H, went
X 1S
2C 2H
3NT
Ok, I made it. On a somewhat lucky lie. Later realized I had misbid. I have three spades so surely I should have bid 2S over 2H. Bot could then bid 3C, he held only four spades, after which I could have bid 3H and hopefully then Bot bids 3NT. Bot held Qxx of hearts, I held Ax so clearly there is good reason to have Bot declare.
I got to wondering. If I had, correctly, bid 2S would the auction have continued 3C-3H-3NT?
Can I put the hands into some gadget and see what Bot would have done? If the answer is no then you can take this as a suggestion for the software

Some half-baked ideas:

You could ask a friend to log-in, to enter the tournament and to try your alternative calls. There might be a problem if he is placed in a different sub-field, without the hand in question.

If the deal occurs in a Challenge against a friend, then you could ask your friend to try your alternative calls when he encounters the hand.

A simpler solution might be to open a practice-table with a dealer-script, using predeal to re-create the deals that you want to explore

#4 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-21, 18:11

View Postnige1, on 2017-September-21, 17:12, said:

A simpler solution might be to open a practice-table with a dealer-script, using predeal to re-create the deals that you want to explore

This is what I do. Expanding on it for those unfamiliar:

Practice - Start a bidding table - choose 'Controlled by host' if you want opposition bidding, click Start

Deal Source - choose a dealer under General, then go to Advanced and check the Dealer input

Enter something like:

predeal north SQ62, HT, DKJ973, CAQJ3
predeal south SAKT9873, HQ97, DAQT

Hit close, sit at one seat, add a free robot at the other, and hit redeal if necessary. It's a little messy if you want to analyse options at both seats, since you need to keep unseating yourself and the robot, switching seats, and undoing - but it works.

This works for basic bots; if you have access to paid bots I think you can get the same thing working at a teaching table instead.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users