Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another misdescription

#1 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-September-19, 15:08

I've mostly given up reporting on GIB's errors (sorry devs - I know you put in hard work but it is just not worth the effort any more. I think if people report errors and follow the reporting deadlines they should get a response).

But this one really tilted me.

http://tinyurl.com/ybth3v6e

I passed 5N because GIB's description said it promised exactly two diamonds - maybe a bad call I don't know. My QJxxx doesn't look so great any more. In fact GIB had AKx!!

I can understand when GIB struggles with its set of rules and ends up with some bad descriptions. What I can't understand is why its bidding sometimes does not match its own descriptions.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-September-19, 16:22

Gib and humans are often short some pts or length when they bid. Gib especially. I am sure you have encountered worse!
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-September-19, 20:41

miamijd (who I have a lot of respect for whenever he posts) said this on a thread a few days ago:-

You can open 1nt with 5422 hands but only with

5c. 4d 15-16
5c 4h 15-16
5d 4h 15-16

With any other 5422 you have an easy rebid so there is no need to be a hand hog.

I'm not apportioning blame here as GIB did not do 'what it says on the can'. But we've all been guilty of opening 1NT with 5422 without giving it a second thought. Now I am giving it a 'second thought'.

#4 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-20, 00:08

View PostThe_Badger, on 2017-September-19, 20:41, said:

But we've all been guilty of opening 1NT with 5422 without giving it a second thought. Now I am giving it a 'second thought'.

Playing with GIB, I open 1NT on all days of the week ending in "y". GIB bidding after 1NT openings is least likely to end in a disaster (present hand excepted) so that's what I open.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users