Partner leads the 5. Plan the defense if:

a) Dummy plays the 6.
b) Dummy plays the Q.

#2 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-September-17, 01:34

Partner can't have the AK as he would led s, so what has he got? 8 card suit due to vulnerability. lead is probably a singleton or doubleton at most. Why hasn't he led one of the other suits? Mmmm....

Both you and dummy are both 5-4-2-2 so what does that leave partner and declarer with? If partner has led a singleton or doubleton, he will be 8-2-(3 or 2-1). What's that leave declarer with? 8 or 7 card suit headed by an honour. 3 or 4 s.

The lead is important as partner can't have a higher , so looks like declarer has at least good intermediates. I think I've seen this defensive scenario before in one of Kelsey's books.

No entry to dummy, except on the opening lead, but declarer can't get back to hand to draw trumps and is locked in his hand thereafter, and that means he has to lose two s if partner has led a singleton.

So covering the lead won't help you one jot, whether it's a singleton or doubleton. So you have to duck with the East hand whatever declarer plays.

That's taken me a good 15 minutes to work out. Phew!

#3 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-September-17, 04:41

slow badger. timed out but youre right about . lead 53 or 5 with 953 or T53 I lead 3

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-17, 04:52

View PostLBengtsson, on 2017-September-17, 04:41, said:

slow badger. timed out but youre right about . lead 53 or 5 with 953 or T53 I lead 3

Depends on methods, many lead 5 from 953 but 53 or 5 is much more likely.

#5 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-17, 07:14

I am going to play South for AKTxxxx K AT93 K and will duck whichever card declarer plays from dummy and now declarer cannot succeed. If declarer has KTxxxxx K AT9 AK this will let through the contract, but partner would have led a singleton club rather than a doubleton diamond.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#6 User is offline   kjpod 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-September-19, 15:47

View PostThe_Badger, on 2017-September-17, 01:34, said:

Partner can't have the AK as he would led s, so what has he got? 8 card suit due to vulnerability. lead is probably a singleton or doubleton at most. Why hasn't he led one of the other suits? Mmmm....

Both you and dummy are both 5-4-2-2 so what does that leave partner and declarer with? If partner has led a singleton or doubleton, he will be 8-2-(3 or 2-1). What's that leave declarer with? 8 or 7 card suit headed by an honour. 3 or 4 s.

The lead is important as partner can't have a higher , so looks like declarer has at least good intermediates. I think I've seen this defensive scenario before in one of Kelsey's books.

No entry to dummy, except on the opening lead, but declarer can't get back to hand to draw trumps and is locked in his hand thereafter, and that means he has to lose two s if partner has led a singleton.

So covering the lead won't help you one jot, whether it's a singleton or doubleton. So you have to duck with the East hand whatever declarer plays.

That's taken me a good 15 minutes to work out. Phew!

Nicely done. Maybe this was too hard to work out in the time constraints of BBO. For the record, the S-W hands:

Not the ideal 4H opener maybe but far from the craziest thing ever.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users