BBO Discussion Forums: strong club and one spade interference - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

strong club and one spade interference

#21 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-September-20, 00:17

We don't generally play invites opposite our invites; responder has shown 5+ ("invitational" opposite the usual 17-19 bal) so openers jump to 3h is forcing. We do occasionally bid light games when opener has 17 and 4-card support opposite 5-6 points. These games usually make. :P

Anyway the question of "how does opener force with a fit" does not really exist to us.

If anything I'd say the obsrvation that opener "usually has 3+ support" is an argument for 2D transfer rather than bidding 1nt (which seems to mostly help in case of a min/misfit).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#22 User is online   awm 

Posted 2017-September-20, 00:24

We have not had detailed discussion of stopperless GF balanced hands, but my personal tendency is to show a strong four card minor as five (so here transfer to diamonds) rather than double. It is not disimilar to the standard auction 1D-(1S) and I hold xxxx KQ Jxx AKxx where 2C is a standout and I would not consider notrump or a negative double.
Adam W. Meyerson

#23 User is online   awm 

Posted 2017-September-20, 01:34

Another observation we seem to have both missed:

If you have 5+ good spades in responder's seat, aren't you going to pass expected a balancing double? Sure, 1 might have been a psych, but then partner might raise, or opener might balance with an off-shape double anyway, etc. It seems weird to just show the spades after RHO showed spades.

The situation where you really want a "psych-revealing" bid is for opener, after an auction like 1-(1)-Pass-(Pass) where passing it out could pay off to the psych (esp. if they are NV).
Adam W. Meyerson

#24 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-20, 09:01

View Postawm, on 2017-September-20, 00:17, said:

We don't generally play invites opposite our invites; responder has shown 5+ ("invitational" opposite the usual 17-19 bal) so openers jump to 3h is forcing. We do occasionally bid light games when opener has 17 and 4-card support opposite 5-6 points. These games usually make. :P

Anyway the question of "how does opener force with a fit" does not really exist to us.

If anything I'd say the obsrvation that opener "usually has 3+ support" is an argument for 2D transfer rather than bidding 1nt (which seems to mostly help in case of a min/misfit).

So 1C (1S) dbl P 3H is forcing, but does it set hearts? I mean, does it promise 5 hearts for responder's 3? How do you go about locating your 4-4s? There is room to do it for sure but you have to have some agreements here.

Sometimes you play invites opposite invites. For example you play 1C-1N*, 3H is invitational, right? (*1N is GI or light GF hearts) It's important to be able to show fit, even with many minimums as partner can sometimes reevaluate. I can do that after 1C (1S) 1N and I can do it after 1C (1S) 2H (6-7 spade takeout) but you can't if 1C (1S) 2D is GI+ hearts and 1C (1S) dbl is takeout spades.

1C (1S) 2D as GI+ hearts is bad for the GF hands. If 1C (1S) 2S is GF hearts and opener rebids 2N, responder can show a second suit. This isn't possible after 1C (1S) 2D P 2N which is a marionette to 3C (so 3C by responder would be "as requested" and 3D by responder would be "artificial GF"?

View Postawm, on 2017-September-20, 00:24, said:

We have not had detailed discussion of stopperless GF balanced hands, but my personal tendency is to show a strong four card minor as five (so here transfer to diamonds) rather than double. It is not disimilar to the standard auction 1D-(1S) and I hold xxxx KQ Jxx AKxx where 2C is a standout and I would not consider notrump or a negative double.

In this particular example, I think then you would bid 1C (1S) 2S and opener might agree clubs with 3C and you're possibly in a 4-3 fit? So responder bids 3S perhaps and opener bids 4C? So responder has extra values and suspects that the partnership has a 4-4 fit but may not be entirely sure.

You wrote a very good thread once on organizing openings and responses into the "expected hand type" and dbl as GF balanced lets opener know right away what sort of hand to expect. He can start bidding naturally (including often the 1N rebid) or you could include a little artificiality in it (2C as stayman or whatever)

View Postawm, on 2017-September-20, 01:34, said:

Another observation we seem to have both missed:

If you have 5+ good spades in responder's seat, aren't you going to pass expected a balancing double? Sure, 1 might have been a psych, but then partner might raise, or opener might balance with an off-shape double anyway, etc. It seems weird to just show the spades after RHO showed spades.

The situation where you really want a "psych-revealing" bid is for opener, after an auction like 1-(1)-Pass-(Pass) where passing it out could pay off to the psych (esp. if they are NV).

Interesting and I think that's what most folks do (pass with spades). One argument for showing the GF spades right away is to separate that from the GI spades. Say it goes 1C (1S) P P dbl P P 2C is opener's pass now forcing? If we want a GF spade response I think 2N is the place to do it since it accomplishes getting the lead for NT at the same time. Interested in your thoughts. Do we both need to remove the GF spades?

Btw, I still appreciate any ideas you might have on 1C (1S) 1N continuations.

#25 User is online   awm 

Posted 2017-September-21, 10:03

It seems like if 1nt shows hearts:

2c relay seems good. It helps you on some doubleton heart GF hands, singleton heart GF hand, slam try hand, etc.
2h should definitely be to play, probably two hearts, maybe three in a bad hand.
You can use 3h as "very min nice fit" both to preempt LHO and find some games if partner has shape.
The main hand type left (since you are passing min three suits short hearts) are shapely hands with minors or spades. I'd do something like:

2D = asking; partner bids 2h with six or 2s with no spade stop or 2nt with spade stop or 3m 5-5. The 2D bid will be a hand with a long minor (but maybe interested to play hearts opposite six) or some hand worried about spade stops; usually opener next bid is NF here
2s = spades not GF; presumably 6+
2nt = 2155 or more shapely, looking for a minor, not GF but obv could be game with the right hand opposite
3m = long suit with spade stop (else 2D) but need some help to make 3nt (either an honor for suit or 2nd spade stop); normally 0-1 heart (else 2h or 2d); NF but partner can try 3nt or raise if suitable
Adam W. Meyerson

#26 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-21, 11:04

That's perfect. Thanks a lot :)

#27 User is online   awm 

Posted 2017-September-21, 15:27

So what do you bid with:

x
AQxx
Kxxx
Jxxx

It seems like this hand has no call? I suspect that 0454. 1453, etc may also be better served by some sort of takeout bid rather than transferring into the five card minor (although perhaps this is less clear).

I guess you can treat this as balanced GF, but it really has a lot of potential for suit contract play...
Adam W. Meyerson

#28 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-21, 16:05

View Postawm, on 2017-September-21, 15:27, said:

So what do you bid with:

x
AQxx
Kxxx
Jxxx

It seems like this hand has no call? I suspect that 0454. 1453, etc may also be better served by some sort of takeout bid rather than transferring into the five card minor (although perhaps this is less clear).

I guess you can treat this as balanced GF, but it really has a lot of potential for suit contract play...

3S is available though it would be a nightmare for setting trump. The 4441s are a bit difficult, especially 4144 I think.

#29 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-23, 04:03

Your previous thread on this subject can be found here if that is helpful. Rather than repeat it here, my idea for this auction comes at the bottom of that thread.
(-: Zel :-)

#30 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-23, 07:47

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-September-23, 04:03, said:

Your previous thread on this subject can be found here if that is helpful. Rather than repeat it here, my idea for this auction comes at the bottom of that thread.

Here it is...

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-March-12, 10:58, said:

Something like:

P = 4 spades
X = no 4M, <GF
1NT = 4 hearts, negative
2 = diamonds or bal, GF
2 = 4-5 hearts, INV
2 = 6 hearts, INV
2 = clubs, GF
2NT = 4 hearts, longer minor, GF
3 = 5 hearts + diamonds, GF
3 = 6 hearts, GF
3+ = 5 hearts + clubs, GF
?

#31 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-23, 08:32

Updated...

P-other

dbl-GF, balanced

1N-6-7, 5+H, nf
.....P-0-1H, minimum
.....2c-GF relay (presume responder has 2+ QPs)
.....2D-asking, a hand with a long minor (but possibly interested to play hearts opposite six) or some hand worried about spade stops; usually opener's next
..........bid is nf
..........2H-6H
..........2S-no spade stop
..........2N-spade stop
..........3m-5m
.....2H-to play, probably two hearts, maybe three in a bad hand
.....2S-to play, 6S
.....2nt = 2155 or more shapely, looking for a minor, not GF but obv could be game with the right hand opposite
.....3m = long suit with spade stop (else 2D) but need some help to make 3nt (either an honor for suit or 2nd spade stop); normally 0-1 heart (else 2h or 2D); NF but partner can try 3nt or raise if suitable

2C-6+, 5+D, usually unbalanced,
.....2D-artificial GF
.....2H-nf
..........2S-artificial GF
..........2N-misfit, nf
..........3C-GF
..........3D-GF
..........3H-nf
.....2S-nf
..........2N-misfit
..........other=GF
.....2N-nf
..........any=GF
.....3C-nf, usually 6
..........3D-GF
.....3D-nf
.....3H-GF, 6H

2D-GF, 5+ clubs, usually unbalanced

2H-6-7, takeout of spades (0-2S, 3-4H, 3-5D, 3-5C)
.....2S-artificial GF
.....2N-to play
.....3m-to play
.....3H-invitational

2S-GF, 5+H

2N-GF, 5+S

3C/3D/3H-invitational with suit

3S-GF, 1-4-4-4 or 0(544)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic