• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Control Precision 1 What is Control Precision

#21 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding Theory

Posted 2017-September-14, 06:33

Now if I may continue this introduction, for those who may be interested. I mentioned before, I cannot work in contradiction, if you find some of the sequences not quite fitting, as would in any system, we will deal with those matters, once we get the full basic outline out of the way.

#22 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-14, 06:34

Who is in Control?

Control Precision’s Golden rule

1) When you open the bidding your partner (the responder) is in Control and you (the opener) is the blind bidder unless,
2) When you open 1 then you, the opener (the strong hand) retains control and the responder is the blind bidder, unless
3) When you open 1 and respond with a NT second bid at any level, you transfer Control back to the responder.

If both partners know and understand this golden rule, then both partners will know who the Control Bidder is, and who is the Blind Bidder. Armed with this information both partners know their respective roles throughout the bidding.

Both partners have no need to have a combined picture of both hands. We only need one partner to receive an accurate description of the other hand. Therefore if opener can accurately describe to his partner the exact point count and distribution of his hand, the responder will gather this information and add it to the 13 cards he already knows. Responder must now place the opener in the right contract. He does so by describing his relative strength in a limited, invitational or game forcing bid, which tells the declarer how safely he can continue bidding on. So responder must respond by informing the opener how far he can safely bid. Opener then makes his second bid, which give more information as to what kind of distribution and point range he is holding. Sometimes if a third bid is necessary this will get done at the appropriate time if responder allows for such a bid. On many slam-going combinations a few relays may be necessary, and responder will show when these sequences must occur. Responder, who is looking at his own cards, will be in the best able to assess the combined holding of the partnership
So if you open the bidding with a limited 11-15 Hcp hand your partner becomes the Control bidder, and you, as the Blind bidder must accurately describe your cards to him, while he gathers the information, and decides the final outcome of the bidding. This applies to all 1, 1, 1, 1NT and 2 openings. This rule also applies to the multi 2 and weak 2, 2, 2NT bids too, as well as your weak 3 and 4 bids. Overcall bidding is very similar, using the take out double for strong overcall hands, and I will deal with all this in the appropriate Chapter.

When the opener has the stronger 16+ Hcp hand he opens 1 and, unless he has a no trump type of hand, takes control of the bidding. This means that the opener, after a 1 opening and hearing either a weak 1 or any other stronger bid will proceed to ask the responder for further information. Should opener choose a NT response, at any level, he then describes a limited balanced hand, and control returns to the responder who will proceed to place the final contract, after any further questions have been answered. This is because these balanced hands are easier to define than responder’s hand and will have the better picture of the combined holding.

For any other openings, the opener immediately defines his hand to a limited type of distribution and point range. The responder, now only has to return to the opener enough feedback as to whether there is enough combined point holding to continue bidding onto the next round, or onto game or slam. Responder may prefer to exit the auction early or concede to the opponent’s overbid. In some cases the responder may require specific information, like finding No Trump stoppers, or slam controls, so he asks.

I believe that it is best to use only, absolute High Card Point Count during the first round of bidding. I do not advise adjusting the point count for distribution, (e.g. adjusting a good 15 Hcp to open 1 or adjusting a poor 16 Hcp to open 1NT) as this will lead to the delivery of misleading information. This way you describe exactly what you hold, without adjusting for distribution or doubleton queens or singleton kings. This can be allowed for in the next round of bidding and can be taken into account before jumping to show strength. So a good hand with 13 or 14 Hcp. and a singleton may be bid as strong, while a similar hand with the king in the singleton suite, or the existence of a queen in a doubleton or singleton suite may be adjusted as weak. While these occurrences do weaken your hand, I believe that by being able to accurately describe you high card points, the controlling partner can access the balance of strength from the total point count of 40, which is the total amount of points in the deck of cards. Remember that any combined holding of 21+ Hcp means that you hold the balance of strength over your opponents.

Now that the responder is armed with accurate information, he will be in the best position to know exactly what is going on when the opponents make an overcall, or jump shift. Its also allows you to hold back and let him make the best decisions, while you watch results start falling in your favour. Many players can’t resist to over or under value their hands, only to brag on when the final outcome has been successful, that it was this decision that lead to the final outcome. This may happen from time to time, but it will also be the biggest cause of bad results, and gambling bids at the bridge table are so unnecessary, while accurate information is usually the best policy. Note, that had you bid properly you probably, more likely to come to the best outcome anyway. Also note, if you occasionally get bad scores due to bad breaks or unusual defence, don’t be discouraged. No bridge system can tell what the opponents cards and distribution may be, and forms part of the mystery of this great game. But there is no law against listening to their bids and watching their play to gather information about bad breaks and missing key cards, and most experts will do that anyway. Very few tournaments are decided on 1 or 2 bad breaks and that players who get accurate scores most of the time find themselves at the top or near the top of the result sheet usually.
I also believe that the sooner you enter the auction the better. Control Precision gives you maximum opportunity to do so. If either partner has 11+ points or more (1/4 of the total count) you are into the bidding. Added to that you have a huge arsenal of weak openings for any type of distributional hands, when holding a 5-5 or 6-card suite. These bids help you to enter the bidding early with as little as 5 or 6 Hcp’s.

#23 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-September-14, 08:32

View PostBermy, on 2017-September-14, 05:41, said:

Would 2/1 handle that fit much better

Of course it would as there would be no need to jump with a 13 count. It is not unusual for systems to have good hands and bad hands so it is not automatically the case that hands like this make a system bad. But a system designer has to understand where their system is weak and be on the look-out for possibilities to mitigate these weaknesses without losing the strengths. My concern with your attitude to comment here is that you seem not really to understand this and are presenting your system in an unbalanced way.

Unfortunately for you, the BBF regulars do understand this quite well and noone here will buy the concept without first understanding these strengths and weaknesses. Thus presenting your ideas in a clearer format will be to your advantage if you genuinely wish to convince readers of the merits of your system. If instead you want to follow the course suspected by straude and smerriman, well that is your own concern. If I make the effort to keep reading (as I wrote before, I do like system stuff) and see something stupid, I will probably post it though. If you do not like this, you are probably promoting your ideas in the wrong place.

View PostBermy, on 2017-September-14, 05:41, said:

You have been warned twice, a third time will result in a complaint to BBO

Again, you seem to be blissfully unaware that BBF is a bridge forum, a format designed to promote discussion. This is not "your feed" in the way that a bridge blog would be but a place for ideas to be shared. By all means report me to the forum administrators though - I will look forward to sharing a laugh with them about it. :lol:
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#24 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-14, 20:22

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-September-14, 08:32, said:

Of course it would as there would be no need to jump with a 13 count. It is not unusual for systems to have good hands and bad hands so it is not automatically the case that hands like this make a system bad. But a system designer has to understand where their system is weak and be on the look-out for possibilities to mitigate these weaknesses without losing the strengths. My concern with your attitude to comment here is that you seem not really to understand this and are presenting your system in an unbalanced way.

Unfortunately for you, the BBF regulars do understand this quite well and noone here will buy the concept without first understanding these strengths and weaknesses. Thus presenting your ideas in a clearer format will be to your advantage if you genuinely wish to convince readers of the merits of your system. If instead you want to follow the course suspected by straude and smerriman, well that is your own concern. If I make the effort to keep reading (as I wrote before, I do like system stuff) and see something stupid, I will probably post it though. If you do not like this, you are probably promoting your ideas in the wrong place.

Again, you seem to be blissfully unaware that BBF is a bridge forum, a format designed to promote discussion. This is not "your feed" in the way that a bridge blog would be but a place for ideas to be shared. By all means report me to the forum administrators though - I will look forward to sharing a laugh with them about it. :lol:

I see nothing wrong with explaining my system on a public forum. Many have asked me to publish notes, and now I am doing it. It is a complete language, and as such must have its strong weak spots, as all do. How may times do 2/1 bidders miss a simple 1NT contract, because their system does not allow such a pass. The weak spots need to be observed, noted and explained how to manage when the situation arises, it is only the end result that matters.
Taking wise guy comments, as this is an open forum, simply complicates matters and get us bogged down in unnecessary detail. If I mention I don't like Lebensohl, we will be discussing this feed for pages, without getting anyware. I have said before I cannot work in contradiction, as that is counter productive. I will however answer question and discuss weakness over time. We actually need clever questions (not wise guy comments), with answers from observations in order to discuss matters further, and develop our language to its full potential. While you are thinking to find weaknesses you can help us find solutions with 3-5 major fits after opening 1 Have some ammunition if you like do you not know that I have played before, and may be aware of these weaknesses. xxxxxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxxx :( .

#25 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-September-15, 03:55

View PostBermy, on 2017-September-14, 20:22, said:

I have said before I cannot work in contradiction, as that is counter productive.

Marshall McLuhan famusly observed that "The medium is the message".

Forums - like this one - are designed for interactive exchanges. And, given human nature, it is ridiculous to expect that no one will disagree with your theories.

If you want a format where you get to have a one-sided conversation then you need to chose some other way to communicate. (for example, a blog)
If you want a two way conversation where everyone agrees with you then you either need to change human nature or buy some "followers"
Alderaan delenda est

#26 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-15, 04:47

View Posthrothgar, on 2017-September-15, 03:55, said:

Marshall McLuhan famusly observed that "The medium is the message".

Forums - like this one - are designed for interactive exchanges. And, given human nature, it is ridiculous to expect that no one will disagree with your theories.

If you want a format where you get to have a one-sided conversation then you need to chose some other way to communicate. (for example, a blog)
If you want a two way conversation where everyone agrees with you then you either need to change human nature or buy some "followers"

“If men would consider not so much wherein they differ, as wherein they agree, there would be far less of uncharitableness and angry feeling.” ~ Joseph Addison

“A lot of arguments can be avoided if we simply stop and think about our response before we say it.” ~ Charles Harper

“The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.” ~ George Bernard Shaw

I wish to continue on Open Forum thank you, as I believe I am contributing to a Universal Language. I therefore need to be open to scrutiny and need to answer key questions.

I am simply asking for politeness, manners, and to stay with the subject. :rolleyes:

Thank You

#27 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2017-September-15, 05:15

View PostBermy, on 2017-September-15, 04:47, said:

I am simply asking for politeness, manners, and to stay with the subject. :rolleyes:

What exactly do you consider "the subject" here? Most people would consider polite comments on "Control Precision" in a thread entitled "Control Precision 1" to be on topic. Your responses to such comments on the other hand have been downright rude, speaking of posters "playing with themselves" and twice referring to their "creaming their pants", not to mention issuing threats. I realise that English is not your native language and I have put some of this rudeness down to that but when you start making comments like this it is really necessary to say something. Trust me, if hrothgar wants to be impolite you will notice; up to now everyone has been extremely civil given the tone you have struck.

Happy New Year everyone!

#28 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-15, 06:28

http://www.urbandict...%20your%20pants

#29 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-15, 08:01

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-September-15, 05:15, said:

What exactly do you consider "the subject" here? Most people would consider polite comments on "Control Precision" in a thread entitled "Control Precision 1" to be on topic. Your responses to such comments on the other hand have been downright rude, speaking of posters "playing with themselves" and twice referring to their "creaming their pants", not to mention issuing threats. I realise that English is not your native language and I have put some of this rudeness down to that but when you start making comments like this it is really necessary to say something. Trust me, if hrothgar wants to be impolite you will notice; up to now everyone has been extremely civil given the tone you have struck.

Simply ask the right questions at the right time, in the right feed, if you don't have a point to prove. But if you would rather open discussion to other matters do so on another feed please, I have provided you with one. Sometimes, my answers will refer to later notes, as CP+ already exists, however it is far more complicated, and I would rather focus on new interested parties for Precision, and those currently understanding Wei as well. If you want to indulge in unnecessary criticism in the wrong feed, you will get the replies you deserve.
I would prefer to end this argument right now, and get on with it. Others are waiting. :angry:

#30 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-15, 08:02

View Poststraube, on 2017-September-15, 06:28, said:

:lol:

#31 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2017-September-15, 08:29

View PostBermy, on 2017-September-15, 08:01, said:

CP+

Is the 'CP' part what my now destroyed brain thinks it is?

#32 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-16, 01:31

Bidding at Four and Five Levels

Control Bidding in Competition

When competing at the higher levels, all the major decisions should go to the Control Bidder, since he is the one in Control. Blind Bidder should avoid bidding, unless he has a Blind Mad Void Licence.
Control Bidder should naturally look at the state of vulnerability and the game situation before coming to a decision.
The Control Bidder can then decide if the contract can be made, or whether to sacrifice a bid to reduce the score damage.
Double by Control Bidder over 2NT is always Penalties and must be respected by the Blind Bidder. Double by the Blind Bidder over 2NTis also a Penalty Double showing good values in the opponents suit. However, a Blind Double is NOT forcing on the Control Bidder, who may pull the double at any time should he deem it necessary.
Control Bidder must retain control at all times.

<_<

#33 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-September-16, 02:45

View PostBermy, on 2017-September-16, 01:31, said:

Bidding at Four and Five Levels

Control Bidding in Competition

When competing at the higher levels, all the major decisions should go to the Control Bidder, since he is the one in Control. Blind Bidder should avoid bidding, unless he has a Blind Mad Void Licence.
Control Bidder should naturally look at the state of vulnerability and the game situation before coming to a decision.
The Control Bidder can then decide if the contract can be made, or whether to sacrifice a bid to reduce the score damage.
Double by Control Bidder over 2NT is always Penalties and must be respected by the Blind Bidder. Double by the Blind Bidder over 2NTis also a Penalty Double showing good values in the opponents suit. However, a Blind Double is NOT forcing on the Control Bidder, who may pull the double at any time should he deem it necessary.
Control Bidder must retain control at all times.

<_<

Assuming away your problems by asserting that the Control Bidder should do the right thing is an expression of hope not a prescription for success
Alderaan delenda est

#34 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-16, 02:53

Control bidder = Captain
Blind bidder = Crew

#35 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-16, 02:56

View Postjohnu, on 2017-September-16, 02:53, said:

Control bidder = Captain
Blind bidder = Crew

System = Titanic?

#36 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-16, 05:38

View Postsmerriman, on 2017-September-16, 02:56, said:

System = Titanic?

errrrr, but does not every floating ship have a Captain and a Crew? You can play against our battleship anytime you like :lol: :lol:

#37 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2017-September-16, 06:37

View Postsmerriman, on 2017-September-16, 02:56, said:

System = Titanic?

System = Precisionified LIO. Captain and Crew were the terms adopted by Gerard back in the day.

On the last entry, not having a takeout double available at the 3+ level looks to be completely unworkable. Again, an example of what to do with a classical takeout hand would be beneficial.

Happy New Year everyone!

#38 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-16, 10:06

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-September-16, 06:37, said:

System = Precisionified LIO. Captain and Crew were the terms adopted by Gerard back in the day.

On the last entry, not having a takeout double available at the 3+ level looks to be completely unworkable. Again, an example of what to do with a classical takeout hand would be beneficial.

You do have a 3 level take out double after a pre-emtive overcall, if that's what you are on about, bidding after overcall has its own detail.

As for Control/Blind I became sick of always having to take control from my partner, simply because I was the more experienced player. So I devised a method she could understand.

#39 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-September-16, 10:18

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-September-16, 06:37, said:

What is LIO?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#40 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2017-September-16, 12:00

View PostVampyr, on 2017-September-16, 10:18, said:

What is LIO?

Light Intermediate Openings.

Happy New Year everyone!

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic