BBO Discussion Forums: Is this bid for takeout. - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Is this bid for takeout.

#1 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Gardening, DIY, Travel

Posted 2017-September-07, 17:36

LHO opened a weak 2. Partner bid 3 and RHO raised opener to 3.
I had 11 HCP, five good clubs, five good hearts one spade and two diamonds. Was I unwise to double for takeout, seeing as how we have not come across this situation nor discussed it? (Partner passed thinking it was for penalties. Opps made 3 doubled.)

#2 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-September-07, 19:15

The "expert" treatment is that this double is take-out (more precisely: responsive). A responsive double is the following:
(opening)-simple_overcall_or_double-(raise)-double

You may indicate on your convention card to what level responsive doubles apply. Probably it should be at least 4 although it is a reasonable view that this double is never pure penalty regardless of the level (maybe a double of 7 should be penalty, though).

But of course it is a matter of agreement whether you play responsive doubles or not.

Note that responsive doubles do not apply if partner has made a conventional two-suited overcall or a jump overcall. And maybe not if he has made a natural notrump overcall.

Your shape is good for a responsive double. It may be a bit scary to double with a singleton in opps' suit and no aces, but you can't be blamed for not always being given the perfect hand.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-September-08, 00:26

View PostLiversidge, on 2017-September-07, 17:36, said:

LHO opened a weak 2. Partner bid 3 and RHO raised opener to 3.
I had 11 HCP, five good clubs, five good hearts one spade and two diamonds. Was I unwise to double for takeout, seeing as how we have not come across this situation nor discussed it? (Partner passed thinking it was for penalties. Opps made 3 doubled.)

This is the one situation - an opening weak two raised pre-emptively to three (raising to three is not a game try amongst the vast majority of players, but a barrage action) that you need the double as responsive as Helene says. What you did was right, but partner didn't understand it.

Technically, a responsive double is in the auction 2 - X - 3 - X* asking partner to choose a suit but it also applies if partner has bid a suit as in your auction.

A different way of looking at responsive and takeout doubles is all doubles on the first round of bidding up to 4 are takeout because the worse thing you can do is double the opponents in a part-score into game as happened here. Easy to remember.

#4 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Gardening, DIY, Travel

Posted 2017-September-08, 01:27

View PostThe_Badger, on 2017-September-08, 00:26, said:

Technically, a responsive double is in the auction 2 - X - 3 - X* asking partner to choose a suit but it also applies if partner has bid a suit as in your auction.

Thanks both. I checked my references afterwards, but could only find examples of responsive doubles like the one you have given, and none that dealt with my specific case.

BBO is a fantastic resource!!

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users