BBO Discussion Forums: Is this bid for takeout. - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Is this bid for takeout.

#1 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Gardening, DIY, Travel

Posted 2017-September-07, 17:36

LHO opened a weak 2. Partner bid 3 and RHO raised opener to 3.
I had 11 HCP, five good clubs, five good hearts one spade and two diamonds. Was I unwise to double for takeout, seeing as how we have not come across this situation nor discussed it? (Partner passed thinking it was for penalties. Opps made 3 doubled.)

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-September-07, 19:15

The "expert" treatment is that this double is take-out (more precisely: responsive). A responsive double is the following:
(opening)-simple_overcall_or_double-(raise)-double

You may indicate on your convention card to what level responsive doubles apply. Probably it should be at least 4 although it is a reasonable view that this double is never pure penalty regardless of the level (maybe a double of 7 should be penalty, though).

But of course it is a matter of agreement whether you play responsive doubles or not.

Note that responsive doubles do not apply if partner has made a conventional two-suited overcall or a jump overcall. And maybe not if he has made a natural notrump overcall.

Your shape is good for a responsive double. It may be a bit scary to double with a singleton in opps' suit and no aces, but you can't be blamed for not always being given the perfect hand.
You might speculate on the psychopathology of some posters but hating them seems excessive --- Nige1

#3 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-September-08, 00:26

View PostLiversidge, on 2017-September-07, 17:36, said:

LHO opened a weak 2. Partner bid 3 and RHO raised opener to 3.
I had 11 HCP, five good clubs, five good hearts one spade and two diamonds. Was I unwise to double for takeout, seeing as how we have not come across this situation nor discussed it? (Partner passed thinking it was for penalties. Opps made 3 doubled.)

This is the one situation - an opening weak two raised pre-emptively to three (raising to three is not a game try amongst the vast majority of players, but a barrage action) that you need the double as responsive as Helene says. What you did was right, but partner didn't understand it.

Technically, a responsive double is in the auction 2 - X - 3 - X* asking partner to choose a suit but it also applies if partner has bid a suit as in your auction.

A different way of looking at responsive and takeout doubles is all doubles on the first round of bidding up to 4 are takeout because the worse thing you can do is double the opponents in a part-score into game as happened here. Easy to remember.

#4 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Gardening, DIY, Travel

Posted 2017-September-08, 01:27

View PostThe_Badger, on 2017-September-08, 00:26, said:

Technically, a responsive double is in the auction 2 - X - 3 - X* asking partner to choose a suit but it also applies if partner has bid a suit as in your auction.

Thanks both. I checked my references afterwards, but could only find examples of responsive doubles like the one you have given, and none that dealt with my specific case.

BBO is a fantastic resource!!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users