• You cannot reply to this topic

Bergen raises

#21 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-September-09, 21:26

View PostBermy, on 2017-September-09, 21:05, said:

Funny , all this

When we talk "leb" we talk drivel for pages.

When we talk "Bergen" we talk about better robots.

That would be because you show an understanding of what Bergen raises are, so the conversation can move onwards. You never reached that step in the Lebensohl thread.

#22 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding Theory

Posted 2017-September-09, 22:23

View Postjohnu, on 2017-September-09, 17:04, said:

I think so. Lots of things are more useful to have then Bergen raises, one of them is lebensohl.

I so love playing with your politics

#23 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-09, 22:26

View Postsfi, on 2017-September-09, 21:26, said:

That would be because you show an understanding of what Bergen raises are, so the conversation can move onwards. You never reached that step in the Lebensohl thread.

Couldn't be bothered as I have my own agenda

#24 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-September-10, 02:34

View PostBermy, on 2017-September-09, 21:01, said:

"For example, when I want to practice MOSCITO, I don't sit an complain that BBO's GIBs don't play MOSCITO, rather, I fire up Jack.
And a good time is had by all"

That explains how important these robots are, if one wants to improve ones bridge bidding.

No. That explains how important these bridge programs are if one wants to improve one's bidding.
And, these bridge programs exist.

The core problem here would appear to be that you don't want to pay $$$ to use one of these programs.
Which is fine.

Just don't then so blathering on how unfair it is that other people aren't doing a bunch of work to give you something for free.
Alderaan delenda est

#25 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-10, 05:10

View Posthrothgar, on 2017-September-10, 02:34, said:

No. That explains how important these bridge programs are if one wants to improve one's bidding.
And, these bridge programs exist.

The core problem here would appear to be that you don't want to pay $$$ to use one of these programs.
Which is fine.

Just don't then so blathering on how unfair it is that other people aren't doing a bunch of work to give you something for free.

2/1 Bidding

Bidding is matter of convention

Unless competing with intervention

If you loose your way should I mention

Clearly it was not my original intention

#26 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-September-10, 06:24

View PostBermy, on 2017-September-10, 05:10, said:

2/1 Bidding

Bidding is matter of convention

Unless competing with intervention

If you loose your way should I mention

Clearly it was not my original intention

Rose are red
Violets are blue
Your poem isn't responsive
So ***** off you...
Alderaan delenda est

#27 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-10, 06:35

View Posthrothgar, on 2017-September-10, 06:24, said:

Rose are red
Violets are blue
Your poem isn't responsive
So ***** off you...

http://www.bridgebas...__fromsearch__1

#28 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-September-10, 07:32

View PostBermy, on 2017-September-10, 06:35, said:

Have you ever considered that the problem isn't with the entire rest of the world but rather that you're an asshole?

It took less than six months for folks on the forums to write you off completely as both belligerent and an idiot...
That takes some doing.

I mean, seriously, two days ago I didn't know that you existed and I already despise you...
Alderaan delenda est

#29 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-10, 17:05

View Posthrothgar, on 2017-September-10, 07:32, said:

Have you ever considered that the problem isn't with the entire rest of the world but rather that you're an asshole?

It took less than six months for folks on the forums to write you off completely as both belligerent and an idiot...
That takes some doing.

I mean, seriously, two days ago I didn't know that you existed and I already despise you...

So glad you are reading this, it is meant for jerks like you.

"That would be because you show an understanding of what Bergen raises are" SFI

This post has been edited by Bermy: 2017-September-10, 17:08

#30 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-10, 17:49

It is remarkable how much resistance I am getting to these feeds. It is not because I have a beef with BBO or Gib, I worship BBO and its free service, God bless you and thank you. Of course I wish Gib all the best if it can help fund such a service. My mind is on bridge, bidding in particular.
No bidding language can be completely universal, or bridge would not be bridge. A great deal depends on its popularity for any system or convention to work. Popularity comes from trends, and these trends are set by players who have their own agenda too. That’s how it works I guess.
So we move Goren point count to Culbertson to acol to Reese to SAYC and 2/1 etc. Yes and other systems too, they too have their problems with popularity. Which is best? That is a matter opinion of course, but we resolve these issues by sitting at a tournament and playing bridge. (With some sort of decent social behaviour first please)
Today nobody is setting standards anymore. I say that BBO now has this role. Perhaps it was because of this free service that it now rules in popularity. I wish for BBO to set higher standards, more choice and be more open minded to old and new standards. Also to keep to these standards, wiki has plenty of information as to what these standards are.
It is amazing how much criticism I am getting with this campaign. It is confusing me, and if I am not to be demotivated, I need more support. People say something, I am tired of answering to insults, as bridge players would have it. However I know I am right, so as long as I continue writing, I will continue answering to your insults. Nice comments would be appreciated though however.

#31 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2017-September-10, 18:13

Personally I'd rather have GIB playing fewer conventions than it already does. But above all, I'd like the GIB developers to devote their resources to bug fixing rather than to optimizing the bidding system.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#32 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-10, 19:51

View Posthelene_t, on 2017-September-10, 18:13, said:

Personally I'd rather have GIB playing fewer conventions than it already does. But above all, I'd like the GIB developers to devote their resources to bug fixing rather than to optimizing the bidding system.

Fewer conventions if it means more choice, I love the idea

#33 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2017-September-10, 21:07

View PostBermy, on 2017-September-10, 19:51, said:

Fewer conventions if it means more choice, I love the idea

I think "choice" is a bit of a hot potatoe. GIB assumes that his opponents play his own system. That's why you can game it when playing against two GIB by playing stuff like a 1 fert opening or 2 as natural weak which will confuse GIB. What should he assume you play if there are multiple ways of configuring GIB?

Also, in Express tourneys you play the GIB system since GIB will have to take over if you lose connection mid-auction. Which version of GIBerish should you assume your partner plays?

The Jack software has umpteen bidding systems to chose between, from Moscito to English Acol. Within each system you can add conventions and soundness of overcalls etc. We would obviously all love to see this on BBO but it would require a lot of work.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#34 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-10, 21:23

View Posthelene_t, on 2017-September-10, 21:07, said:

I think "choice" is a bit of a hot potatoe. GIB assumes that his opponents play his own system. That's why you can game it when playing against two GIB by playing stuff like a 1 fert opening or 2 as natural weak which will confuse GIB. What should he assume you play if there are multiple ways of configuring GIB?

Also, in Express tourneys you play the GIB system since GIB will have to take over if you lose connection mid-auction. Which version of GIBerish should you assume your partner plays?

The Jack software has umpteen bidding systems to chose between, from Moscito to English Acol. Within each system you can add conventions and soundness of overcalls etc. We would obviously all love to see this on BBO but it would require a lot of work.

Robots are there to simulate humans in a match. I dont care for my opponents too much, as long as I know what their bids mean. I am concerned for my partner robot. It must play with me, my way, or as close to it as one can simulate and still be general, standards are set.

So program a "Partner" robot for me please. I am renting it for a quarter so give me my moneys worth please,

These guys have been trying to figure this out for 20 years now and are totally missing the point in my view.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users