• You cannot reply to this topic

Gib and takout doubles Part 1

#1 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-September-06, 10:28

1C-X-1S
Ok auction went (1C)-X-(1S)-2C bid 2C with 4S3H4D2C with 10 pts including 2 Aces.
So really cant have a much better balanced hand considering it has passed.
In a recent Bridgewinner pool it was suggested that X should show 4S. Now I am not complaing Gib didn't do that. I don't know what the bids mean at that point, so I am assuming Gib couldn't show 4S that way.

What I am complaining about is my choices after 2C. No bid shows any extra values but 3N. So if there is a slam there is no way it could be bid. No bid for sure shows a 4-card suit. It is all 3-4 card.
2H is the only different bid and it does show 4H but only 9-12 pts.

How can anyone sensible bid after this. The only thing that makes sense is the cue-bid is showing 4S most of the time, but I have no bid that shows 4S so it doesn't help me especially if there is a slam.
Even Pass is silly has 12+ pts with no upper limit and I am going to pass?

Here are the meaning of the bids:
Pass = 12+ pts no suitable call 3-4H
2D = 12+ pts 5+biddable D
2H = 9+ pts 4+H
2S = 13+ hcp 3-4H 3-4S
2N = 15-16 hcp 2-C, 3-4H, 3-4S
3C = 2C 12+ pts partial C stop
3D = 5-D 13+hcp rebidable D
3H = 4-H 13+HCP
3N = 16-23 2-C likely stop in C, likely stop in S, what kinda stop do I have with only 2C
4 bids are 12+
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-September-06, 11:12

Advancer really should double not cue. I think what is preventing it is that it requires 11+hcp 4-h;4-s which is too many. I would lower it to 8 hcp maybe, and either 3-h;4+s or 4-h;4+s. I'm not sure if I would bother doubling spades holding hearts. But I suppose it's not totally unreasonable to double planning on bidding 2h next.

As for rebids by doubler after the cue, seems poor definitions. 2d/2h should be 4+ suits, 12+ pts, and forcing one round (cue should promise rebid). I don't think you need a bid to show extras with only 4 cd suits, jumps to 3 level should show 5+ suits and 18+ pts. I don't know if GIB thinks 2h is 9-12, the explanation just says 9+. But 9+ is weird since double, double would usually promise 12+ pts including shape pts? But I would change the 2 level bids to be 4+ in the suit, 12+ pts, and label them as forcing.

2s in response to cue, with LHO having bid spades, should maybe show the strong one suited spade hand and 5+ spades.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users