Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just declare format

#1 User is offline   sieong 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-September-03, 17:35

I find this new format a lot of fun, and a great way to introduce new players to bridge without the burden to learn about conventions and treatments.

Kudos to the staff at bbo for innovating on tournament formats.

#2 User is offline   mawj 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-September-04, 03:45

This does sound like fun!! And I'm sooo sorry I missed the announcement. I was here, but simply didn't check the news feed. (Lesson learned)

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-September-04, 09:00

View Postmawj, on 2017-September-04, 03:45, said:

This does sound like fun!! And I'm sooo sorry I missed the announcement. I was here, but simply didn't check the news feed. (Lesson learned)

There will certainly be more opportunities.

#4 User is offline   Joe_Old 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-September-04, 09:36

If BBO wants to add a new level of frustration, try a "Just Defend" format.

#5 User is offline   gopu 

• Pip

Posted 2017-September-04, 10:50

What is this format? I missed the news. Where can I find the details.

#6 User is offline   iplaybridg 

• Pip

Posted 2017-September-04, 13:37

I like the format. I would wish that there was a break i.e. 15seconds between games. Lets you review a little.

#7 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-September-05, 03:14

View Postiplaybridg, on 2017-September-04, 13:37, said:

I like the format. I would wish that there was a break i.e. 15seconds between games. Lets you review a little.

You can take as much time as you want. It's just like the daylong duplicates.

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-September-05, 03:16

View Postgopu, on 2017-September-04, 10:50, said:

What is this format? I missed the news. Where can I find the details.

http://webutil.bridg...tch.php?id=4224

This was the second time we've run this, the first time was 2 weeks ago.

http://webutil.bridg...tch.php?id=4197

#9 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-September-05, 04:30

I like the concept but PLEASE try to avoid stupid contracts (playing in your 33 vs 53 fit) 1s p 1n (forcing) p 2c x pass with Qxx Axxx xxx xxx). This is also a learning tool and having these examples around teaches bad habits to newer players. Yes, we all get to rotten contracts but usually there is some semblance of a reason for such a thing to happen. Review the hands before unleashing the really cruddy ones on the public:)))))))))))))))))))

#10 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-September-05, 08:28

View Postbarmar, on 2017-September-05, 03:14, said:

You can take as much time as you want. It's just like the daylong duplicates.

First things first, I liked it and I am glad to hear there will be more. Some thoughts.

I gather you had the bots deal random hands, bid them however the bots bid them, and then they went up without editing, is that right? I am fine with that, I am just asking.

Bots sometimes do weird things. I was the beneficiary of this on a couple of hands on Day 2 where I made more tricks than I either expected or should have. I'm ok with that also. We are playing with the bots, and bots are bots.

It would be good to have the advanced bots. I rarely play with any of the bots, I prefer humans with all their eccentricities, but it seemed likely to me these were the lesser bots.

Apparently board 8, Day 2, for some, was 4S on a 3-3 fit. On my board 8, I played 4HX. From this I gather that the boards change during the day. I was wondering if they did, I am glad to hear that apparently they do .[Added: Yes, I see that my board 8 hand was played 44 times. I deeply appreciate the bots allowing me to escape for down 1.]

When a player signs up, it would be good to have a link pop up to the bots' methods. As mentioned, I do not much play with/against them. On Day 1 a bot led small against my suit contract from 3 small. That is my preferred method also, but it seems to be out of favor these days so I assumed it showed an honor. I declined to take a working finesse (after small, small, J, Q I had the AT) since I assumed that W surely had the K. My error.

But the brief view is that I liked it and I look forward to seeing it again.
Ken

#11 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-September-06, 08:28

View Postkenberg, on 2017-September-05, 08:28, said:

It would be good to have the advanced bots. I rarely play with any of the bots, I prefer humans with all their eccentricities, but it seemed likely to me these were the lesser bots.

Yes, they were. In general, free tourneys get basic bost, pay tourneys get advanced bots. So if and when we add pay versions of this to the regular schedule, you can expect advanced bots.

When a player signs up, it would be good to have a link pop up to the bots' methods.

I expect we'll put them in Robot World when they become part of the regular schedule, and it has a link to the robot system. But since the bots' methods is mostly about bidding, not defense, it's not really as significant for this type.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users