BBO Discussion Forums: North Korea: What Next? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

North Korea: What Next?

#81 User is online   barmar 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 17,367
  • Joined: 2004-August-21
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2017-October-05, 08:50

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-October-05, 06:47, said:

And thinking of 1983, whatever happened to the SDI?

Detente and the breakup of the Soviet Union?

Even if NK has atomic bombs, it seems like it will be quite some time, if ever, before they'd have an arsenal comparable to Russia's, which is what Star Wars was intended to protect against. I'd also like to think that our defensive monitoring has improved significantly in the 3 decades since then.

#82 User is offline   The_Badger 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 831
  • Joined: 2013-January-25
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-October-05, 09:28

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-October-05, 06:47, said:

And thinking of 1983, whatever happened to the SDI? A "star wars" style defence system would be rather useful right now.


It's quite incredible really that the world was made a safer place from nuclear attack in the 1980s by relying on the computer graphics of an appropriately-named Hollywood blockbuster and a bit of Reagan bluff.

And the latest about the current North Korean crisis is that Russian and North Korean diplomats have met in the last few days, and Vladimir Putin is urging the USA to 'back down' from a pre-emptive strike. Which prompts the question, why Russia and not China?
0

#83 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 5,880
  • Joined: 2005-May-16
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2017-October-05, 13:51

JFK, for all his peccadillos, was a genuine peace-maker during a time of hawkish belligerence. He is the main reason, on this side of the Atlantic, why we are not glowing piles of rubble.

http://www.dailymoti...m/video/x5ugn2p
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!
0

#84 User is offline   Zelandakh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,743
  • Joined: 2006-May-18
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 2017-October-05, 14:57

View Postjjbrr, on 2017-October-05, 07:30, said:

Zel, THAAD?

The problem with this, as well as the arguably better Aegis system, is that it is designed to destroy missiles in their terminal phase rather than in boost, post-boost or midcourse. One of the key ideas of SDI was the ability to intercept ICBMs earlier than land-based systems can with a corresponding increase in safety and protection, particularly against the popular MIRV design.
(-: Zel :-)
0

#85 User is offline   RedSpawn 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 889
  • Joined: 2017-March-11

Posted 2017-November-12, 16:11

View PostThe_Badger, on 2017-October-05, 09:28, said:

It's quite incredible really that the world was made a safer place from nuclear attack in the 1980s by relying on the computer graphics of an appropriately-named Hollywood blockbuster and a bit of Reagan bluff.

And the latest about the current North Korean crisis is that Russian and North Korean diplomats have met in the last few days, and Vladimir Putin is urging the USA to 'back down' from a pre-emptive strike. Which prompts the question, why Russia and not China?

http://nationalinter...e-defense-12503

Good article.
0

#86 User is offline   RedSpawn 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 889
  • Joined: 2017-March-11

Posted 2017-December-17, 03:24

https://www.washingt...pacific/?page=3

It's important to see our military capabilities with all the overtures for war that have been made.
0

#87 User is offline   Zelandakh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,743
  • Joined: 2006-May-18
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 2017-December-17, 05:35

View PostRedSpawn, on 2017-December-17, 03:24, said:

It's important to see our military capabilities

Why? Can't we take it as read that the US has pretty decent military hardware?
(-: Zel :-)
0

#88 User is offline   jjbrr 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,438
  • Joined: 2009-March-30
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2017-December-17, 09:00

I, for one, hope we never have to see the US military capabilities.
OK
bed
1

#89 User is online   barmar 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 17,367
  • Joined: 2004-August-21
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2017-December-17, 10:34

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-December-17, 05:35, said:

Why? Can't we take it as read that the US has pretty decent military hardware?

Indeed, everyone knows the US has the most powerful military in the world. I think the point of that slide show is just to emphasize how much of it is deployed in the Pacific, sitting ready for NK to do something stupid.

The problem may be that Kim has so much hate and hubris that it's not really a deterrent.

#90 User is online   Winstonm 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,963
  • Joined: 2005-January-08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tulsa, Oklahoma
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-December-17, 13:09

View Postbarmar, on 2017-December-17, 10:34, said:

Indeed, everyone knows the US has the most powerful military in the world. I think the point of that slide show is just to emphasize how much of it is deployed in the Pacific, sitting ready for NK to do something stupid.

The problem may be that Kim has so much hate and hubris that it's not really a deterrent.


Or it may be that he is being painted as having so much hate and hubris that we really don't know the truth about him.

It was only about 10 years ago or so the hawks were also up in arms about the "madman" Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad being quoted as wanting to wipe Israel from the map - a quote that has since been questioned for its accuracy.
"For happily the Government of the United States, which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance, requires only that they who live under its protection, should demean themselves as good citizens.” - George Washington, 1790
0

#91 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 5,880
  • Joined: 2005-May-16
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2017-December-17, 19:43

Indoctrination works both sides of the street. From the US attempts on Kim's father and grandfather, plus sanctions plus all the rest, they don't need much in the way of propaganda to fear the US.
Axis of evil, terror-states and madmen in power, the climate of fear in the US is easy to direct towards whatever target-du-jour pokes its head up in the global whack-a-mole game that is current and recent US foreign policy.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!
0

#92 User is offline   Zelandakh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,743
  • Joined: 2006-May-18
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 2017-December-18, 04:54

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2017-December-17, 19:43, said:

Axis of evil, terror-states and madmen in power

Are you writing about NK or USA here? :unsure: :blink: :ph34r:
(-: Zel :-)
0

#93 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 5,880
  • Joined: 2005-May-16
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2017-December-18, 06:50

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-December-18, 04:54, said:

Are you writing about NK or USA here? :unsure: :blink: :ph34r:

Hmmmnnn, let's see, do Iran and NK have central banks? Might be related...
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!
0

#94 User is online   barmar 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 17,367
  • Joined: 2004-August-21
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2017-December-18, 09:36

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2017-December-17, 19:43, said:

Indoctrination works both sides of the street. From the US attempts on Kim's father and grandfather, plus sanctions plus all the rest, they don't need much in the way of propaganda to fear the US.
Axis of evil, terror-states and madmen in power, the climate of fear in the US is easy to direct towards whatever target-du-jour pokes its head up in the global whack-a-mole game that is current and recent US foreign policy.

Not just very recent. Was it much different a generation ago when it was the Soviet Union we were afraid of?

I think the difference between Iran and both NK now and USSR then is that the latter have nuclear capabilities. And NK has been doing some real sabre-rattling with all its missile tests.

#95 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 5,880
  • Joined: 2005-May-16
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2017-December-18, 16:05

View Postbarmar, on 2017-December-18, 09:36, said:

Not just very recent. Was it much different a generation ago when it was the Soviet Union we were afraid of?

I think the difference between Iran and both NK now and USSR then is that the latter have nuclear capabilities. And NK has been doing some real sabre-rattling with all its missile tests.

Israel got their nuclear program and warheads back in the 60's. The USSR was like a bear compared to Iran (hawk) and NK (wasp) in relative terms. There is so much polarization and disinformation circulating that even though we "thought" the USSR was a big threat, it might only have been to the ideology of imperialistic profit-making demonstrated by all (super) powers.
We have always lived in perilous times, some more global than others.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!
0

#96 User is online   barmar 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 17,367
  • Joined: 2004-August-21
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2017-December-19, 10:53

I was only a year old during the Cuban missile crisis, so I don't have firsthand knowledge of what it was like (time for Ken to chime in, I guess), but I think that the fear of the Soviets during that time was as reasonable as current fear of NK. Maybe even more justified -- NK is still doing lots of testing, Russia had a mature nuclear arsenal comparable to our own, and a launching point right on our doorstep.

#97 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 5,880
  • Joined: 2005-May-16
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2017-December-19, 19:59

View Postbarmar, on 2017-December-19, 10:53, said:

I was only a year old during the Cuban missile crisis, so I don't have firsthand knowledge of what it was like (time for Ken to chime in, I guess), but I think that the fear of the Soviets during that time was as reasonable as current fear of NK. Maybe even more justified -- NK is still doing lots of testing, Russia had a mature nuclear arsenal comparable to our own, and a launching point right on our doorstep.

My first experience in an airplane was a trip to Jamaica that had to be "detoured" around Cuba because of the crisis.
The so-called missel-gap was a fiction used to energize the arms build-up and only JFK stood between the Joint Chiefs and a nuclear holocaust. (Curtis Lemay wanted to take out the Russians before they gained parity and he was willing to sacrifice 40 million US citizens to say nothing of the Russian losses forecast.
Kruschev warmed to Kennedy through their back-channel communications and detente in all areas was in the cards until JFK went to Dallas.
Civil rights was a bigger issue in the news (except for the Bay of Pigs and The Missle crisis). NK is a distraction and an incentive.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!
0

#98 User is offline   Zelandakh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,743
  • Joined: 2006-May-18
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 2017-December-19, 20:48

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2017-December-19, 19:59, said:

(Curtis Lemay wanted to take out the Russians before they gained parity and he was willing to sacrifice 40 million US citizens to say nothing of the Russian losses forecast.

Your evidence for LeMay being aware of the delegation of Russian nuclear launch control to field commanders?

It is certainly true that LeMay wanted to bomb Cuban missile sites. It is also true that Harold Brown reported that he and LeMay both estimated that there would be approximately 30-40 million casualties if the Soviets made a preemptive nuclear strike. But this is the first time I have heard these two pieces of information linked somehow to being a specific number of accpetable casualties.

In truth it was the navy, not the air force, that got closest to starting WWIII through their attempts to intercept Soviet subs. The point being that the US was not aware of the change of authorities on the Soviet side and was therefore unable to anticipate at the time just how close they had come to a nuclear strike from the subs (2 of the 3 commanders wanted to launch but the third voted to wait).

As your are slandering a famous USAF general, it should also be pointed out that LeMay was partly responsible for the strategic decision for the USAF to maintain its conventional bomber fleet as he recognised that implementation of nuclear forces would be too indiscriminate, to unncontrollable and generally a complete over-reaction. It might seem amazing for us that not everyone could see this clearly but the records show that this was specifically his strategic vision in the mid-60s and the army and navy both underwent dramatic reconstructions based around nuclear forces and proposed nuclear war scenarios.

So, over to you. Do you have evidence to back your claims this time or is it the same old thing as in the GW thread?
(-: Zel :-)
0

#99 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 5,880
  • Joined: 2005-May-16
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2017-December-20, 07:27

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-December-19, 20:48, said:

Your evidence for LeMay being aware of the delegation of Russian nuclear launch control to field commanders?

It is certainly true that LeMay wanted to bomb Cuban missile sites. It is also true that Harold Brown reported that he and LeMay both estimated that there would be approximately 30-40 million casualties if the Soviets made a preemptive nuclear strike. But this is the first time I have heard these two pieces of information linked somehow to being a specific number of accpetable casualties.

In truth it was the navy, not the air force, that got closest to starting WWIII through their attempts to intercept Soviet subs. The point being that the US was not aware of the change of authorities on the Soviet side and was therefore unable to anticipate at the time just how close they had come to a nuclear strike from the subs (2 of the 3 commanders wanted to launch but the third voted to wait).

As your are slandering a famous USAF general, it should also be pointed out that LeMay was partly responsible for the strategic decision for the USAF to maintain its conventional bomber fleet as he recognised that implementation of nuclear forces would be too indiscriminate, to unncontrollable and generally a complete over-reaction. It might seem amazing for us that not everyone could see this clearly but the records show that this was specifically his strategic vision in the mid-60s and the army and navy both underwent dramatic reconstructions based around nuclear forces and proposed nuclear war scenarios.

So, over to you. Do you have evidence to back your claims this time or is it the same old thing as in the GW thread?

Slander refers to the spoken word while libel refers to print. Being famous makes him somehow better? His actions prior to the assassination and his presence at the JFK autopsy are more intriguing. He was, indeed, very involved in all kinds of bombing activity as most are aware. Reading more about the CMC will answer your questions better than I ever could.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!
0

#100 User is offline   Zelandakh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,743
  • Joined: 2006-May-18
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 2017-December-20, 07:37

So you have zero evidence...again? *sigh*
(-: Zel :-)
1

Share this topic:


  • 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users