BBO Discussion Forums: 3 NT response - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

3 NT response

#1 User is offline   CDWasten 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-August-24, 16:11

What does 3 no trump mean in response to your partner's opening 1 in a major. There are no intervening bids. I have 12 HC points KJx in spades

Thank you.

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-August-24, 16:58

A popular treatment in England is the "pudding raise", a minimum-GF flat hand with enough trumps to add up to eight with whatever you promise.

I play it as a raise with a void over 1, and a spade splinter over 1 with 3 being the raise with void to save space.

Then of course, there is "to play".
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-24, 17:14

No std meaning, avoid using it without prior discussion. There are a ton of different options, some natural and an offer to play, others raises of various types.

I've seen played at least:
16-17 balanced

4333 raise 3cd support choice of games

4 cd balanced raise, forcing, various ranges

Splinter raise to distinguish either range or singleton vs void

Preemptive weak raise to 4M, but with say a side ace, giving partner with a moose a better estimate of slam chances.

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2017-August-24, 17:15

We play it as a 4333 with a 4 card minor 13-15 so that opener can try to make a sensible choice with 5 cards in his major. If you play a forcing NT and have other ways to bid that hand, you may not need it for that.

#5 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-24, 19:46

Should be 4333 (4 in opener's suit if playing 4-card majors, 3 (with the 4 not in the other major) if playing 5-card majors), scattered values to make 3NT from your side attractive, and about 13-16 HCP or so.

ahydra

#6 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-August-25, 00:59

If you have not discussed earlier with partner the specifics then it is a gamble & Primarily to play. If you are playing 5c majors then 3nt bidder is expected to hold at most 3c in bid suit preferably with a top honours(hoping to run 5 tricks & score 4 tricks elsewhere) with 12/13 points with no biddable suits & scattered values with at least 3cs in unbid suits.

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-August-25, 01:22

You should also be thinking about a 3NT response to 1m. If your agreement is "to play", I can practically guarantee that you will miss a slam every time it comes up.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-25, 05:57

Absent discussion, I would think it is "to play", but as others have said, it has various possible meanings. Sufficiently many and sufficiently often used that I wouldn't put my partner in a quandary absent that discussion.
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users