Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

After 2C

#1 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2017-August-24, 13:54

http://bit.ly/2w8nWXJ

Two main beefs here:
1) When GIB bids 4H, he promises 3 but only has 2. I get that you have to fudge sometimes but we have suit agreement already in diamonds.
2) Seems terrible that we can't play diamonds after 4N, but this mostly goes back to the idea that GIB decided to fabricate a double fit and eschew the fit we've established.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-24, 14:34

I'm pretty sure that once you have used RKC in one suit, you can't play in another suit. To play a slam in diamonds, I think (but not sure) that you have to jump to 6

Given the state of GIB bidding, this is probably better than playing in a cue bid but GIB has been know to pass cue bids so nothing is sure.

I would have rebid 2NT instead of 2 with a ratty 5 card suit.

#3 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-25, 13:00

I get it. But not being able to play in a suit we've agreed is just bad. GIB should not bid 4H in the first place with this hand, which drove the rest of the problem.

View Postjohnu, on 2017-August-24, 14:34, said:

I would have rebid 2NT instead of 2 with a ratty 5 card suit.

Appreciate it. However, dissecting my bids is missing the point of this forum entirely.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#4 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-25, 13:16

View Postwyman, on 2017-August-25, 13:00, said:

Appreciate it. However, dissecting my bids is missing the point of this forum entirely.

After X number of years, GIB doesn't seem to have made any major advances in bidding "judgement". There are a number of auctions you want to avoid because there is a good probability that GIB will cause a disaster (e.g. making a takeout double with a 1 suited hand too strong for a simple overcall). GIB does a lot better with NT openings (or NT rebids like I suggested) so playing to GIB's strengths is the best way to get good results.

#5 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-25, 14:17

View Postjohnu, on 2017-August-25, 13:16, said:

After X number of years, GIB doesn't seem to have made any major advances in bidding "judgement". There are a number of auctions you want to avoid because there is a good probability that GIB will cause a disaster (e.g. making a takeout double with a 1 suited hand too strong for a simple overcall). GIB does a lot better with NT openings (or NT rebids like I suggested) so playing to GIB's strengths is the best way to get good results.

Indeed. As I understood it, this forum is about illustrating places where GIB's judgment has gone awry, so that we aren't stuck with it forever :)

#6 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-25, 17:41

View Postwyman, on 2017-August-25, 13:00, said:

I get it. But not being able to play in a suit we've agreed is just bad. GIB should not bid 4H in the first place with this hand, which drove the rest of the problem.

The point of the forum is the help you overcome GIB's faults since BBO has no serious intention of working through even the most grievous of GIB's problems- only put a weak bandage on some small faults.

#7 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding Theory

Posted 2017-August-26, 02:21

View Postcloa513, on 2017-August-25, 17:41, said:

The point of the forum is the help you overcome GIB's faults since BBO has no serious intention of working through even the most grievous of GIB's problems- only put a weak bandage on some small faults.

Like moving deck chairs on the Titanic

#8 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-26, 11:37

sometimes the changes come slowly but they do come.
there was a time after
eg
2 pass 44NT
gib would take as to play, at least now it is finally for take out

#9 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-01, 16:33

Yes GIB needs to work on 2 auctions. It's known and will be worked on.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users