• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Monster hand with opps suit

#1 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-August-13, 21:11

MPs, all vul:

Is X the right way to start here? Now what?

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-August-13, 21:33

View Postdiana_eva, on 2017-August-13, 21:11, said:

MPs, all vul:

Is X the right way to start here?

Yes, what else? You are planning to bid NT.

MPs, all vul:

Now what?

DBL,, E obviously joking in spades or on hcps in 3rd seat.

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-August-14, 01:24

What else is there other than Dbl on 1st round, Dbl on 2nd round? The obvious danger is partner is very weak with no s and will takeout. The only way you can look at this auction is in the same way as a Dbl of a direct 4 pre-empt.

If you wanted partner to bid you have the option of a second bid of 4NT bid suggesting two possible places to play.

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-14, 19:14

The problem with this hand is that partner is very likely to pull with a yarb. Both opps bidding, I've got way too much in spades, isn't it safer to just pass? Are we making anything at the 5th level?

#5 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-14, 19:32

I think dbl has more to gain than to lose, certainly at IMPs. If E psyched, partner might pass on a good day. If he pulls, he might make it.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-14, 21:35

It's MPs, not IMPs. Partner's hand is posted here: http://www.bridgebas...ith-two-suiter/

Nothing makes and the consensus seems to be that pd must pull.

At the table I doubled twice and we went down in 5H for a cold bottom. Nobody else was bidding against 4S, our opps were just nuts.

Trouble with all this is that the only person at the table who can figure out who's fooling around is me, with the monster hand, and I gave pass a strong consideration.

#7 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-15, 06:22

Haha I suspected it when I saw it after answering the weak 5-5 hand and refrained from posting "X and pass 4NT"🤣
Good problem anyway! Thanks Diana

#8 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-15, 06:24

View Postapollo1201, on 2017-August-15, 06:22, said:

Haha I suspected it when I saw it after answering the weak 5-5 hand and refrained saying X and pass 4NT🤣
Good problem anyway! Thanks Diana

I was going to pas 4NT if pd bid that, but he didn't, he bid 5H. I don't think we make 4NT either, this was doomed from the start unless I have the vision to leave them in 4S undoubled which would have been a top coz noone else had bid that high.

#9 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-15, 08:49

View Postdiana_eva, on 2017-August-15, 06:24, said:

I was going to pas 4NT if pd bid that, but he didn't, he bid 5H. I don't think we make 4NT either, this was doomed from the start unless I have the vision to leave them in 4S undoubled which would have been a top coz noone else had bid that high.

Sure. Tbh, with opponents who would have at least half of their bids, the likelihood that pard would pull would be so high (figuring a 5440, 6430, 5530 or more extreme...with low HCPs) that I'd also consider passing (they are red after all and we are likely to collect 300, while I'm not sure we'll manage 600-620 at the 5 level).

#10 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2017-August-15, 13:59

View Postdiana_eva, on 2017-August-15, 06:24, said:

Many years ago I played with a friend in the New Year's Even speedball pairs at the Reno Regional. I haven't been back and I suspect that the atmosphere is far different, but my partner displayed the appropriate bidding technique for your hand (albeit his action didn't work). To set the stage, the game began with every table having 2 bottles of California bubbly and glasses for all. We began against two other friends, who were tee-totallers. We weren't, and we had finished one bottle almost before the round was called. When we ran out of wine, we found extra bottles nearby. And I don't think we were the most inebriated.

Anyway, at one juncture mid-session my partner stood on his chair and yelled 'Double', which by implicit partnership agreement I took as penalty.

The opps were amused when he did this and even more amused when they made the contract.

There are many ways in which tournament bridge is better now than it was then, but the fun quotient has definitely declined.

One other snippet from the same tournament: my partner and I agreed to play 'Stone Age': all of our calls were natural and we didn't even use stayman. We sat down against Meckstroth, who was going to go on to form his partnership with Rodwell the following year. He was very pleasant and spoke about playing because while he was in the top 5 mp winners for the year, his partner was just short of that, and they were hoping to win enough in the very last event of the year to have him crack the top 5.

Meckstroth opened 1. My partner doubled, which I innocently but mistakenly assumed was takeout. I bid, and Meckstroth bid 2 and was promptly, loudly doubled, without my partner standing on his chair, presumably having learned his lesson. This I passed.

Dummy hit with a doubleton spade and a ruffing value. Meckstroth was clearly worried (despite his hopes, he was very engaging and relaxed) about the contract...but eventually took his ruff in dummy. I under-ruffed with my stiff deuce and Meckstroth said: 'Things are looking up'. He then called for dummy's last spade. I showed out, and he laughed, folded his cards and returned them to the board, saying '800'. I never did find out what he held but his good humour on the hand has stayed with me for all of the past 39 years or so.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#11 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-15, 14:14

View Postdiana_eva, on 2017-August-14, 19:14, said:

The problem with this hand is that partner is very likely to pull with a yarb. Both opps bidding, I've got way too much in spades, isn't it safer to just pass? Are we making anything at the 5th level?

If partner has nothing, why should he pull? The 2nd x is power, and he should ask himself, what is more likely: to make a contract at the 5level, or going only -2, (9 - 11 tricks) or to hope for 4 tricks in the power hand? The only reason would be shape.
Both oppoents are bidding, and one is a passed hand, leaving aside
the 3rd seat opening.
Just saw the companion thread, I dont think it is obvious to pull, but
4NT is certainly valid, it is a judgement call, and it is close.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#12 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-August-15, 19:30

MPs, all vul:
Is X the right way to start here? Now what?

Over 1any,Charles and Vi Outred, a Scottish international partnership have agreed that a 2N overcall is Natural. But most of us have to start with a double. What you do over 4 is a matter of agreement. On Saturday, at an Eastbourne.seminar, David Gold suggested that you should double 4 pre-empts, on power. Then, to remove the double, partner should have reasonable prospects of making. Even with that agreement, I sympathise with DIana_Eva's action.

#13 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-August-20, 11:33

Pass.

Do you think partner is going to sit for a double of 4 with a void? You have presumably advertised shortness with your previous double, so partner will virtually never be able to figure out that you have the extra strong NT type hand and will not pass. With a void, partner could well be 5-4-4, so you can't really guarantee anything better than an 8 card fit. You know they have at best a 9 card fit. LOTT tells you it isn't likely to turn out well if partner bids. 4-3-3-3 hands are not good to compete further. Sit and take your positive.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users