• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

IMPs: 72-AJ87-95-AQ972

#1 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-August-13, 21:08

IMPs, all vul:

Do something now? Would you have bid earlier? If so, what?

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-August-13, 21:38

View Postdiana_eva, on 2017-August-13, 21:08, said:

IMPs, all vul:

1-Yes, DBL
2- Yes, 2. This is the overcall you should consider a lot over 1 opening because it screws up their auction a lot.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-15, 03:37

Double now.

Imo bidding initially is insane. Agree with Timo that you should strive to overcall 2C over 1D where possible but doing it with a flat hand and a bad 5 card suit is asking for -1100
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#4 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-August-15, 04:08

Agree with both MrAce and broze. If ever there is an opening auction where poker-style like bidding comes into play this is it. An initial overcall of 2 may occasionally go down heavily, but it sticks a firm spanner in the opponents' bidding. Personally prefer to be 5-4-3-1 than 5-4-2-2 though.

With a passed partner this 2 bid is usually lead directional at best, but there's a simple rule to follow here too.

A passed partner bids up to the appropriate limit of LOTT taking vulnerability into consideration: any further action is at the discretion of the overcaller always.

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-August-15, 19:10

View Postdiana_eva, on 2017-August-13, 21:08, said:

IMPs, all vul:

Over 1, I rank
  • 1N = ART. Raptor by agreement. Over 1m that can be 3 cards or less, this can show either m + either M. Might be unsound but still fun.
  • Pass = NAT. Safe
  • 2 = NAT. Disruptive but too courageous for many, with a poor 5 card suit, vul, at imps.
  • 1 = NAT. Prefer a better suit, even if your style is to overcall 4 card suits.
  • 2N = ART. UNT. Misdescrptive and foolhardy

Over 2, I rank
  • Double = T/O. by agreement (Without agreement, the danger is that partner might treat it as penalty)
  • 2 = NAT. If you overcall freely, at the 1-level, on 5 card suits, partner might be able to read this.
  • Pass = NAT

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-16, 01:37

View Postnige1, on 2017-August-15, 19:10, said:

• 2 = NAT. Disruptive but too courageous for many, with a poor 5 card suit, vul, at imps.

View Postbroze, on 2017-August-15, 03:37, said:

Double now.

.....and a bad 5 card suit is asking for -1100

AQ972 is neither a poor nor a bad 5 card suit. It is not a good suit for sure, but imo "poor" "bad" are overstatements. It is a normal suit with 2 top honors and not disappointing spot cards.
When you guys use both "5 card" and "poor/bad" in same sentence, you are overstating your point imo because you already mentioned that it is a 5 card suit.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-16, 05:08

X marks the spot

There is a VERY strong chance the auction is about to die out and partner may have a flawed hand to back in (think 4 hearts and xx in clubs as an example). The fact that lho is a passed hand increases the chance p has a reasonable holding. 2H is off mark and should be saved for hands that were unable to take action the first time around (K432 876432 Q Kx). Having 2 possible places to play greatly reduces the risk factor.

#8 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-August-20, 11:58

Sorry, but I'm bidding a "disruptive" 2 over 1 initially. It makes it more difficult for the opponents to sort out any major fits, they may have. With LHO being a passed hand, there's less danger of a phone number penalty double of 2 and a pretty good likelihood it will be a part score hand.

If partner finds a raise to 3 over LHO opponent's negative double, the opponents will have to sort it out at the three level.

#9 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2017-August-21, 16:54

View Postrmnka447, on 2017-August-20, 11:58, said:

Sorry, but I'm bidding a "disruptive" 2 over 1 initially. It makes it more difficult for the opponents to sort out any major fits, they may have. With LHO being a passed hand, there's less danger of a phone number penalty double of 2 and a pretty good likelihood it will be a part score hand.

If partner finds a raise to 3 over LHO opponent's negative double, the opponents will have to sort it out at the three level.

Same for me!

#10 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-22, 08:59

View Postnige1, on 2017-August-15, 19:10, said:

Over 2, I rank
  • Double = T/O. by agreement (Without agreement, the danger is that partner might treat it as penalty)

I'm glad someone mentions that possibility. I would go further and say I would expect it to be for penalty unless you have agreed it is for T/O (since you have already had an opportunity to make a T/O double of and you are not in the protective seat).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users