BBO Discussion Forums: Future Challenge Events - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Future Challenge Events Any thought?

Poll: Future Challenge Events (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you be interested in playing future challenge events?

1. Yes regardless of the type of robots (12 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. Yes only if everyone is using advance robot (0.25BB$/match)(each match 16 bds) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Yes only if everyone is using basic robot (free) (7 votes [35.00%])

Percentage of vote: 35.00%

4. No (1 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

How about the format?

1. I probably will play anyway (if the robot condition is OK). (10 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. I prefer as little KO as possible (e.g. swiss, RR, etc. for the whole tournament). (3 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

3. I prefer mixture of RR and KO (5 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. I prefer KO (like the most recent one). (1 votes [5.00%])

5. I won't play anyway. (1 votes [5.00%])

IMP/MP best/nonbest preference (choose all you're willing to play)

1. IMP, best hand (16 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. IMP, non best hand (10 votes [20.83%])

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

3. MP, best hand (11 votes [22.92%])

Percentage of vote: 22.92%

4. MP, non best hand (9 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

5. None (2 votes [4.17%])

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   frank0 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-August-10, 12:29

I think I'll temporarily suspend the future challenge event because of the new BBO policy (add 0.25$ for adv. bot). If we run it in the usual way, we cannot control what kind of robot people use and who should pay it.

If you have any thought, or is interested in taking charge of the challenge event, reply it here.

#2 User is offline   phoenix214 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge; Chess; Boardgames; Physics; Math; Problem solving; and anything that makes my brain thinking.

Posted 2017-August-10, 13:25

Did not the bbf challange series have adv bot anyway? How does this affect anything?

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-August-10, 16:15

The person who makes the challenge decides if advance robot used and (edit thanks to Diana_eva ) gets the charge.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-August-10, 16:26

View Poststeve2005, on 2017-August-10, 16:15, said:

The person who makes the challenge decides if advance robot used and I believe gets the charge.
If the challenger isn't the one who pays, don't accept challenge if you don't want to pay .25.

Only the person who creates the challenge is charged. The person who accepts it is never charged.

#5 User is offline   mlbridge 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-10, 21:50

View Postdiana_eva, on 2017-August-10, 16:26, said:

Only the person who creates the challenge is charged. The person who accepts it is never charged.

If this is correct and there is a two 16 board match, each person can issue a challenge and be charge a quarter. Sounds quite reasonable, 25 cents for 32 boards.

#6 User is offline   frank0 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-10, 23:07

View Postmlbridge, on 2017-August-10, 21:50, said:

If this is correct and there is a two 16 board match, each person can issue a challenge and be charge a quarter. Sounds quite reasonable, 25 cents for 32 boards.

In theory that could work but
1. This is a detail people tend to forget, I'm sure there will be people forgetting this.
2. I'm not sure how many people are willing to pay 0.5$ (0.25$*2 if take turn paying) per round(64 bds) for the event that does not pay any BBO/ACBL master points.

#7 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-10, 23:48

While it may frustrate some people, I have no issues playing a basic-bot challenge event, which is probably the simplest solution (and how the first few events worked.)

#8 User is offline   frank0 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-11, 01:36

View Postsmerriman, on 2017-August-10, 23:48, said:

While it may frustrate some people, I have no issues playing a basic-bot challenge event, which is probably the simplest solution (and how the first few events worked.)

Alright add some polls.

#9 User is offline   mlbridge 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-11, 08:07

View Postfrank0, on 2017-August-10, 23:07, said:

In theory that could work but
1. This is a detail people tend to forget, I'm sure there will be people forgetting this.
2. I'm not sure how many people are willing to pay 0.5$ (0.25$*2 if take turn paying) per round(64 bds) for the event that does not pay any BBO/ACBL master points.

I had purchased some $BBO to play in events with robots for 25 cents a tourney. I assume I was getting the basic robots. It was not too bad and despite all the flaws, it was okay since one can tell after time where the flaws are. So it is like playing with a partner where it consistently makes the same mistake.

Problem I find is that I am locked out of most tourneys because they have a member list or do not allow robots. I sued to play in the BSC_Host knockout tourney on Fri and Sat. But they recently also stopped allowing robots. It is harder and harder to play tourneys in BBO. Especially since BBO reduced the free daily robot tourneys to only 3 entries a week.

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-11, 10:10

View Postmlbridge, on 2017-August-11, 08:07, said:

I had purchased some $BBO to play in events with robots for 25 cents a tourney. I assume I was getting the basic robots. It was not too bad and despite all the flaws, it was okay since one can tell after time where the flaws are. So it is like playing with a partner where it consistently makes the same mistake.

I'm pretty sure those robots are advanced.

Problem I find is that I am locked out of most tourneys because they have a member list or do not allow robots. I sued to play in the BSC_Host knockout tourney on Fri and Sat. But they recently also stopped allowing robots. It is harder and harder to play tourneys in BBO. Especially since BBO reduced the free daily robot tourneys to only 3 entries a week.

You sued them? That seems extreme. :) (Yes, I know it was a typo for "used".)

#11 User is offline   ToriaVic 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-August-11, 18:51

1. If the person blocking an individual is being unreasonable, move on. Either forgiveness or currency gets a past any gatekeeper, regardless of shape, gender, race, culture, religion, or in this case, self-proclaimed bridge acumen.

2. What is a quarter worth anyway, people?

3. This is a card game, which normally is on printed on ~5 cm by ~3.5 cm protected layers of heavy card paper. Are we all going to let 52 heavy stock paper get in our way of enjoying a strategic game? I believe that would defeat game of life. Ask yourselves.

#12 User is offline   mlbridge 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-11, 22:06

View Postbarmar, on 2017-August-11, 10:10, said:

I'm pretty sure those robots are advanced.

You sued them? That seems extreme. :) (Yes, I know it was a typo for "used".)

What about the robots for just a regular challenge event with strangers? Are those advance also? If those are basic, then I am not sure how much difference between the robots. Maybe better on defense?

What drives me nuts is how the robots loves to cue bid or apply the law of total tricks.

#13 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-12, 22:03

View Postmlbridge, on 2017-August-11, 22:06, said:

What about the robots for just a regular challenge event with strangers? Are those advance also? If those are basic, then I am not sure how much difference between the robots. Maybe better on defense?

Stranger challenges are basic robots. Once we see how popular the advanced friend challenges are, we may enable advanced stranger challenges.

Almost any time you're playing with robots for free, they're basic. I think the exceptions are Free Automated Fun tourneys and free robot duplicates.

#14 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-13, 00:06

View PostToriaVic, on 2017-August-11, 18:51, said:

2. What is a quarter worth anyway, people?

For the ignorant consumer, not much :rolleyes: That theme is very common in commercials trying to get people to pay for things that aren't really inexpensive. ie. it's only pennies a day... For only a dollar a day... etc. A quarter a day every day is $91.25 a year. Sure you probably won't play every day, but it would be easy to play almost every day.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users