• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Screen frezes on chrome

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-September-07, 05:21

It has happened to me several times, the problem arises when I switch between tabs of the browser, the program keeps running, but then I Switch back to the tab, and although I can hear sounds (like it is my turn, or osmeone played a card, or I get a private message), the screen is completelly stuck, nothing moves and I Can't click on anything, nor change focus of the cursos. Only solution is to reconnect on another tab, which causes several problems when I am host on a teaching table.

EDIT: there is a persistent bug from years ago when you undo a bidding to play a different contract, whoever was dummy can't see his/her cards anymore.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-September-07, 08:34

I've moved this to the Support forum, Suggestions is for requests for new features, not reporting problems.

I'm not sure what we could be doing that would cause this problem. Tab switching should generally be totally transparent to apps. It sounds like a bug in Chrome's implementation of Flash.

#3 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-September-07, 09:20

chrome has its own flash adobe version. if drivers out of date then that is a problem as not able to update. install latest chrome. latest adobe. if you still have a problem then maybe drivers. need to upgrade computer or internet access.

#4 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-08, 01:58

I feel it has nothing to do with Chrome version.

I have had similar problems to fluffy when I use my Chromebook to access BBO. I occasionally freeze exactly the way fluffy described --- i.e. it happens after I have switched to another tab and come back. My short-term fix was not to switch tabs -- not very practical but something I can live with.

And there is a worse issue that I had occasionally encountered with Chromebook. It can sometimes freeze when I switch tabs on the scoring module (i.e. I see "other table" scores, and move back to my table scores -- that's enough to make BBO on Chromebook freeze. However, I have not seen this happen for a few weeks now (fingers crossed).

#5 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-08, 10:00

The fix seems obvious : use one browser just for BBO and have another with tabs for other uses.

#6 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-September-09, 22:50

View PostfromageGB, on 2017-September-08, 10:00, said:

The fix seems obvious : use one browser just for BBO and have another with tabs for other uses.

Indeed. When I first started playing regularly on BBO, Safari was my normal browser. At some point there was a Safari update that had a Flash bug that impacted BBO, so I started using Chrome for BBO, but continued using Safari for everything else.

Eventually I got tired of switching and made Chrome my default browser for everything.

BTW, do you have this problem if you open BBO in a separate window rather than a tab? I don't use tabbed browsing myself (I actually have a Chrome extension that forces it to turn new tabs into new windows).

#7 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-10, 03:23

Except that to switch tabs costs some action like a keyboard click. Instead of clicking a different tab it is any more difficult to click an icon on a launcher or task bar? Or if your fingers are on the keyboard, alt tab is quicker and an automatic reflex, probably more so than any keyboard action you have set up to switch tabs.

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-September-11, 08:55

There are keyboard shortcuts that can be used to switch between windows of the browser:

https://superuser.co...indows-like-cmd

#9 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-12, 04:34

Sure, but my point was that I find alt tab happening without much thought or any finger direction, so a separate browser is easier for me than other methods.

#10 User is offline   AugustaDan 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-January-03, 18:08

What solved this really annoying problem for me was clicking on the circled i in the address bar to the left of the www.bridgebase and making sure I set everything to allow. This works on Windows 10 systems Chrome browser.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users