BBO Discussion Forums: Using alternate call to keep it comparable - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Using alternate call to keep it comparable

#1 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2017-August-05, 19:33

Under the new laws, assume I pass out of turn when my partner is the dealer and has yet to call. My pass is not accepted. Director reminds my partner of the obligation to not use UI from my pass. Partner opens 1 and RHO passes. I hold the following hand:

KJxx
Q9xx
xx
AJx

Knowing if I bid the "normal" 1, it will not be a comparable call to my withdrawn pass (so my partner will be required to pass once), I jump to 2NT (invitational) instead as a comparable call. Partner, holding a 2=4=4=3 14 HCP hand raises to 3NT which makes 9 tricks. Nearly all other tables reach 4 in a 4-4 fit which fails on a 4-1 or 5-0 split.

Do I get to keep my great score in 3NT? Or should the Director use Law 23C "without the assistance gained through the infraction the outcome of the board could well have been different, and in consequence the non-offending side is damaged, he shall award an adjusted score."

Notice it says "outcome ... different" AND "non-offending side is damaged". Both must be true.

Is the non-offending side really "damaged" by this "rub of the green"?

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-August-05, 20:22

How is 2N comparable to pass and 1H not?Neither shows opening values.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   hirowla 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-05, 22:06

View Poststeve2005, on 2017-August-05, 20:22, said:

How is 2N comparable to pass and 1H not?Neither shows opening values.

1H is an unlimited number of points, 2 NT shows less than an opening hand. Therefore 1 H is not comparable to an opening pass but 2NT is.

#4 User is offline   hirowla 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-05, 22:11

View PostBudH, on 2017-August-05, 19:33, said:

Under the new laws, assume I pass out of turn when my partner is the dealer and has yet to call. My pass is not accepted. Director reminds my partner of the obligation to not use UI from my pass. Partner opens 1 and RHO passes. I hold the following hand:

KJxx
Q9xx
xx
AJx

Knowing if I bid the "normal" 1, it will not be a comparable call to my withdrawn pass (so my partner will be required to pass once), I jump to 2NT (invitational) instead as a comparable call. Partner, holding a 2=4=4=3 14 HCP hand raises to 3NT which makes 9 tricks. Nearly all other tables reach 4 in a 4-4 fit which fails on a 4-1 or 5-0 split.

Do I get to keep my great score in 3NT? Or should the Director use Law 23C "without the assistance gained through the infraction the outcome of the board could well have been different, and in consequence the non-offending side is damaged, he shall award an adjusted score."

Notice it says "outcome ... different" AND "non-offending side is damaged". Both must be true.

Is the non-offending side really "damaged" by this "rub of the green"?

I'd say that 2NT is a reasonable bid rather an 1H (not my style but could be for others). Hence I would allow the result. Nobody would complain if 4H makes and you get a bad score. Based on the hands you always end up in game - you got lucky.

#5 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-06, 03:37

View Posthirowla, on 2017-August-05, 22:06, said:

1H is an unlimited number of points, 2 NT shows less than an opening hand. Therefore 1 H is not comparable to an opening pass but 2NT is.

true but 2N is like 11 points. Many people will do 2N on 12 which is opening points. Many people open on 11 especially with 5H like you have.
1H only guarantees 6 pts. That you don't have 12 points will be revealed on your next bid.
If you cant bid 1H on a hand with 6-10 similar to this are you saying you would have to bid 1N because 1N can't be an opening hand? I'd rather be barred than have 1N as my only choice.

#6 User is offline   hirowla 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-06, 05:53

View Poststeve2005, on 2017-August-06, 03:37, said:

true but 2N is like 11 points. Many people will do 2N on 12 which is opening points. Many people open on 11 especially with 5H like you have.
1H only guarantees 6 pts. That you don't have 12 points will be revealed on your next bid.
If you cant bid 1H on a hand with 6-10 similar to this are you saying you would have to bid 1N because 1N can't be an opening hand? I'd rather be barred than have 1N as my only choice.

Well, if you don't like the options given don't pass out of turn! Or just pass again. Those are the rules and those are your choices.

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-06, 07:09

Please show how 2NT meets the definition of "comparable call" in Law 23A.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-06, 07:46

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-August-06, 07:09, said:

Please show how 2NT meets the definition of "comparable call" in Law 23A.

Seriously?? It seems self-evident that it falls under point 2.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-August-06, 15:59

Law 23C could come into play here. If the only reason you avoided the ill-fated 4 contract is because you were forced to substitute a comparable call instead of making the normal call, the TD can adjust the score.

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2017-August-06, 18:55

"Forced"?
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#11 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-06, 19:24

View Posthirowla, on 2017-August-06, 05:53, said:

Well, if you don't like the options given don't pass out of turn! Or just pass again. Those are the rules and those are your choices.

2N is a ridiculous bid. 1 is comparable.
Is a free world so you want to bid 2N go ahead, but I see no reason that you are compelled to.
Budh despite being a director is wrong, 1 is as comparable a bid to pass as 2N.
Comparable does not mean exact. No bid including 2N would be exact.

#12 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2017-August-06, 19:39

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-August-06, 18:55, said:

"Forced"?

I was being mildly sarcastic when I said I was "forced" to bid 2NT. Since I know the law and know the only reasonable comparable call I can make is 2NT with the given hand, I choose that call. Nothing in the laws says I have to make the bid I would usually make (1) when I know it is not a comparable call but I know 2NT is a comparable call (to my withdrawn pass thinking I was dealer).

1. 1 not comparable because strength is unlimited
2. 2NT is comparable because it is a subset of all hands that would pass the bidding. (Said another way, the combination of my withdrawn pass and my 2NT bid gives no more information to my partner than the 2NT bid itself.)

The laws say my great score can be taken away if the result might well have been different AND ADDITIONALLY the opponents were damaged. I think it can be easily argued the opponents were not damaged. They were just very unlucky. The words "damaged" and "unlucky" are not the same. We've all seen an insufficient bidder take a wild guess with his partner required to pass and bid 3NT and then get a very lucky lie of the cards to allow the contract to make for a top and a bottom for the opponents. The "unlucky" opponents. Not "damaged" opponents.

#13 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-06, 19:56

View Poststeve2005, on 2017-August-06, 19:24, said:

Is a free world so you want to bid 2N go ahead, but I see no reason that you are compelled to.

I'm sorry, but you don't seem to understand how the new Comparable Call Law 23 works. You have to describe your hand with ONE SINGLE CALL as much as your withdrawn illegal call. I agree there are many auctions where if you were able to make TWO calls, they together would describe your hand as much as your withdrawn call. And perhaps that will be in the 2027 laws. But the 2017 law says simply your next call (singular) needs to describe your hand as much the withdrawn call so your partner knows no more about your hand from the two calls (one illegal and the other legal) than he does from the legal call by itself.

In the example I have given, my pass (thinking I was opening the auction) was withdrawn. When partner opens, to be a comparable call, I need to make a call that only would be made by a hand that would not open the bidding as dealer. If 1 is the opening bid by partner and RHO passes, then here are some comparable calls:

1. 1NT (6-10 HCP)
2. 2D (only if it shows a limited hand, traditionaly 6-10 HCP)
3. 2NT (11-12 HCP, invitational and non-forcing)
4. 3D (if non-forcing - it could be be weak or invitational)
5. Jump shifts if weak and you play them so weak you wouldn't open them a weak 2-bid

New suits, because they don't limit the strength of the hand and can be made by game forcing hands, are not comparable calls. (Partner now has improper information because he knows one of my suits and he should not know the upper limit of my hand, but in this case he would know, improperly, I hold less than opening bid values.)

#14 User is offline   hirowla 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-06, 23:57

View Poststeve2005, on 2017-August-06, 19:24, said:

I'm afraid Budh is actually correct and his explanation of it is quite correct.

The reason 1H is not comparable can be shown as follows:

* A normal 1H bid shows a minimum of 6 points and 4 hearts. It could have 20+ points.
* An illegal opening pass shows approximately less than 13 points
* A 1H bid after an illegal pass now shows a range of 6-11 points and 4+ hearts
* Because of the illegal pass, partner of the passer now has information he is not entitled to have (i.e that his partner does not have a point range of 12-20 points).
* From this, the bid cannot be comparable.

However 2NT shows a within the boundaries of a passed hand and doesn't reveal any additional information to their partner - they knew from the illegal pass that they have less than 13 points, and 2NT indicates that too (it's actually more specific).

The other bids mentioned 1NT, 2D, 3D, a weak jump shift also would be bid by a hand that wouldn't open the bidding. I'd probably allow a weak jump shift even if strong enough to open a weak 2, as it may be a judgement call not to open a weak 2 without partner having anything.

Regards,

Ian

#15 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2017-August-07, 00:46

As I understand it, a side can NOW vary its understandings after its own irregularity: Law 40 tells us what an RA can do:

(iv) may disallow prior agreement by a partnership to vary its understandings during the auction or play following an irregularity committed by the opponents.

Compared to

3. The Regulating Authority may disallow prior agreement by a partnership to vary its understandings during the auction or play following a question asked, a response to a question, or any irregularity.

Thus if you have an agreement that any call made after a pass out of turn also denies opening values then this would seem to be a way of getting around the problem. (I believe the law is intended to allow players to make a call knowing partner will have to pass it.) I don't think Law 16C covers this.

2. For an offending side, information arising from its own withdrawn action and from withdrawn actions of the non-offending side is unauthorized. A player of an offending side may not choose a call or play that is demonstrably suggested over another by unauthorized information if the other call or play is a logical alternative.

This means only that your partner may not USE the fact that your call shows less than opening valuse

I hope this is not going to be the case.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#16 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-07, 07:10

View Posthirowla, on 2017-August-06, 23:57, said:

However 2NT shows a within the boundaries of a passed hand and doesn't reveal any additional information to their partner - they knew from the illegal pass that they have less than 13 points, and 2NT indicates that too (it's actually more specific).

I guess that it would depend on partnership agreements, but suppose:
(i) 2NT shows 11-12 points as suggested above;
(ii) The partnership would open with all (or almost all) 12-counts - this is surely the case for most pairs?

Surely a 2NT bid in these circumstances must be specifically 11 points? In this case it isn't a subset?

#17 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-August-07, 09:29

View PostTramticket, on 2017-August-07, 07:10, said:

I guess that it would depend on partnership agreements, but suppose:
(i) 2NT shows 11-12 points as suggested above;
(ii) The partnership would open with all (or almost all) 12-counts - this is surely the case for most pairs?

Surely a 2NT bid in these circumstances must be specifically 11 points? In this case it isn't a subset?

The definition of Compable Call says "same or similar meaning". I think a 1-point difference like this is close enough to be "similar", so it's allowed.

#18 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-07, 13:18

View Postbarmar, on 2017-August-07, 09:29, said:

The definition of Compable Call says "same or similar meaning". I think a 1-point difference like this is close enough to be "similar", so it's allowed.

I'm not a director - just a punter - so I might be missing it. My reading is that 23.A.1 uses the wording "same or similar meaning" - but 2NT clearly doesn't have a similar meaning to "pass". 23.A.2 doesn't say "same or similar" - it says "defines a subset of the possible meanings attributable to the withdrawn call".

This definition is a bit fuzzy - it is "possible" (but unlikely in the year 2017) to define a pass as any hand with fewer than 13 points. Come to that, it is a "possible" meaning of pass to define it as 0-15 HCP. Any takers?

#19 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2017-August-07, 20:04

Partner passes out of turn. Now you open 1m. it gets around to partner and he bids 2NT. What's the difference?

When partner passes, he's showing any distribution, and fewer than whatever your agreed minimum point count is for an opening bid (the point count may vary based on distribution). Let's say minimum 12, or 10 maybe with distribution.

When partner bids 2NT, he's showing a balanced hand and say 11 to a bad 12 points, and denying (for most people) a four card major. So what he's showing is a subset of the hands he showed when he passed. This meets the criterion of new Law 23A2, so it's a comparable call. The fact that he has two four card majors, so that his hand doesn't quite fit the partnership agreement for the bid, is not relevant. Nor is the fact that if they have a major suit fit, they're likely to miss it.
--------------------

#20 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-07, 20:48

View Postweejonnie, on 2017-August-07, 00:46, said:

As I understand it, a side can NOW vary its understandings after its own irregularity: Law 40 tells us what an RA can do:

(iv) may disallow prior agreement by a partnership to vary its understandings during the auction or play following an irregularity committed by the opponents.

Apparently a Regulatory Authority does not now even have the option to disallow prior agreements after a side's own irregularities. So as long as you have worked out good agreements, you are losing out if you don't commit irregularities frequently. This is going to be fun.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users