• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Legalities of timewasting EBU

#1 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-July-31, 09:07

I was playing a swiss pairs event at the weekend where round time limits were strictly enforced with no starting a board inside the last 2 or 3 minutes of the round, 50/50 given for boards taken away.

Our opps have just had 2 tops and we start the penultimate board of the round with 12 mins left, and they are declaring a non hopeless 1Nx vul. Declarer hesitates for 6 minutes at trick 1, and then having got to trick 8 where he's seen every face card one of the two hands can possibly possess and can basically play double dummy, thinks for another 3 minutes to ensure the last board is removed.

Is there anything we can do about this ?

#2 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-31, 09:40

View PostCyberyeti, on 2017-July-31, 09:07, said:

I was playing a swiss pairs event at the weekend where round time limits were strictly enforced with no starting a board inside the last 2 or 3 minutes of the round, 50/50 given for boards taken away.

Our opps have just had 2 tops and we start the penultimate board of the round with 12 mins left, and they are declaring a non hopeless 1Nx vul. Declarer hesitates for 6 minutes at trick 1, and then having got to trick 8 where he's seen every face card one of the two hands can possibly possess and can basically play double dummy, thinks for another 3 minutes to ensure the last board is removed.

Is there anything we can do about this ?

You can call the director and point out that it was entirely their fault, so you are entitled to AV+. Do you have any basis for saying "to ensure the last board is removed"? That seems to have been the effect, but you assert a motive.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2017-July-31, 09:46

View Postgordontd, on 2017-July-31, 09:40, said:

You can call the director and point out that it was entirely their fault, so you are entitled to AV+. Do you have any basis for saying "to ensure the last board is removed"? That seems to have been the effect, but you assert a motive.

Only in that he has a pretty much complete double dummy blueprint of the hand by then, and I can't misdefend so the second 3 minute hesitation seems utterly unnecessary (although might be one of those "I've butchered this so better pretend to partner it's actually difficult" type things.

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-July-31, 09:48

Automatically assigning 50/50 for unplayed boards isn't legal, is it?

And I think that you get more than +3 if your teammates have had an unusually good result on the board; perhaps Gordon can explain how that works.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2017-July-31, 09:51

View PostVampyr, on 2017-July-31, 09:48, said:

Automatically assigning 50/50 for unplayed boards isn't legal, is it?

And I think that you get more than +3 if your teammates have had an unusually good result on the board; perhaps Gordon can explain how that works.

I was playing a swiss pairs event

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2017-July-31, 09:53

I mentioned it to the director immediately afterwards, he wasn't interested.

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-July-31, 09:56

oops.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-July-31, 10:32

View PostCyberyeti, on 2017-July-31, 09:07, said:

Declarer hesitates for 6 minutes at trick 1

That's not a hesitation, Cyberyeti, that's a breath hold for a freediver! I don't see why declarers can get away with this: if the shoe was on the other foot and you were two tops up and defending for an extraordinary amount of time on one board, I'm sure any declarer would be screaming for the director.

Is there still an Ethics Committee at the EBU? File a complaint against the player. Why let it go? It's probably not the first time this tactic has been employed by this player and his partner.

#9 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-July-31, 11:31

Would be hard to prove motive but does it matter if opps responsible for slow play isn't a penalty possible.
It does seem slow play isn't uniformly enforced.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-July-31, 13:53

I remember noticing a similar thing many years ago on OKbridge.

I don't know if it's still the case, but OKbridge tourneys in those days used Swiss pairing. But this was only done for pairs that finished the round on time. If you weren't done with a hand when the round changed, it let you finish that board, and then paired the late pairs as they finished. My theory was that some players adopted the strategy of playing the last board slowly, so that instead of being paired with players who were doing as well as they were (and hence would be tougher to play against) they would be paired against slow players (on the theory that many of them are poor players and likely to give gifts). I never did a rigorous analysis, but I did a few spot checks and noticed a correlation between late players and either coming in near the top or bottom of the leaderboard (the top ones are the presumed users of this strategy, the bottom ones are the fish that they're depending on). But it's hard to prove that this was an actual strategy -- many good players are slow because they spend a good amount of time analyzing the hand to come up with the best line (one of the better players in my club is like this).

#11 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2017-July-31, 15:04

View PostCyberyeti, on 2017-July-31, 09:46, said:

Only in that he has a pretty much complete double dummy blueprint of the hand by then, and I can't misdefend so the second 3 minute hesitation seems utterly unnecessary (although might be one of those "I've butchered this so better pretend to partner it's actually difficult" type things.

That doesn't seem sufficient reason to assert that he was cheating. Serious accusations need serious evidence.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#12 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-July-31, 15:54

View Postgnasher, on 2017-July-31, 15:04, said:

That doesn't seem sufficient reason to assert that he was cheating. Serious accusations need serious evidence.

Short of confession, you're unlikely to establish motive but unusually slow tempo is an infraction that declarer could have known would work to his benefit. Hence, law 23 might afford redress.

#13 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2017-July-31, 19:19

View Postnige1, on 2017-July-31, 15:54, said:

Short of confession, you're unlikely to establish motive but unusually slow tempo is an infraction that declarer could have known would work to his benefit. Hence, law 23 might afford redress.

Or you could assign Ave- for the side that is at fault for the delay...seems a bit simpler, doesn't it?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#14 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2017-August-01, 02:42

I admit I once thought about a trick for 3 minutes and then realized that the hand was actually an open book, and the indicated line clear.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#15 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-01, 03:51

View Postcherdano, on 2017-August-01, 02:42, said:

I admit I once thought about a trick for 3 minutes and then realized that the hand was actually an open book, and the indicated line clear.

I've seen good players do this on a number of occasions.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#16 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2017-August-01, 04:08

View Postgordontd, on 2017-August-01, 03:51, said:

I've seen good players do this on a number of occasions.

This particular hand, one player has penalty doubled a weak NT, opps have 21 points between them, and you know after trick 2 about 6 points in the other hand and that the doubler doesn't have a huge suit, you're missing 2 jacks, you know the small hand doesn't have one of them and the other is irrelevant, so even to a poor player this is pretty obvious.

#17 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2017-August-01, 06:21

If you explain the situation as you have here, and present it to the TD, and the TD is not willing to do anything about it, then the situation is hopeless.

The facts speak for themselves.

#18 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-August-01, 10:26

View Postcherdano, on 2017-August-01, 02:42, said:

Stuff happens occasionally. But if this is a habit for a particular player/pair (and they're not just poor players who often go into the tank for no good reason), it's not unreasonable to be suspicious.

#19 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-August-01, 17:09

View Postcherdano, on 2017-July-31, 19:19, said:

Or you could assign Ave- for the side that is at fault for the delay...seems a bit simpler, doesn't it?

Although gordontd agrees with cherdano, I still have doubts:
Simple slow play is one thing.
IMO, quite another thing is slow play by a player who would benefit if boards were cancelled -- And who might be aware of that state of affairs.

#20 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-01, 20:38

View Postbarmar, on 2017-August-01, 10:26, said:

Stuff happens occasionally. But if this is a habit for a particular player/pair (and they're not just poor players who often go into the tank for no good reason), it's not unreasonable to be suspicious.

One could argue that a poor player always has a good reason for going into the tank, since most of them have little clue what they're doing, and presumably are trying to figure out what they should be doing.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users