BBO Discussion Forums: Bizarre descriptions after takeout double when cuebid is doubled - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bizarre descriptions after takeout double when cuebid is doubled

#1 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-July-28, 16:14

I've had this sequence occur a few times, and can't understand the descriptions at all. Are these all completely wrong, or I am missing something fundamental about how you're meant to bid in this bidding sequence? (I'm not sure what 'standard' meanings are.)

2 shows 2- , 5- , 3-4 , 3-4 , biddable , 12+ total points.
2 shows 2- , 4-5 , 4- , 4 , biddable , 12+ total points.
2 shows 2- , 4-5 , 4 , 4- , biddable , 12+ total points.
2nt shows 2- , 3-5 , 3-4 , 3-4 , 12+ total points
Rdbl shows 2- , 3-5 , 3-4 , 3-4 , 16+ total points, forcing
Pass shows No suitable call, 2- , 3-5 , 3-4 , 3-4 , 12+ total points, forcing

So bidding a major promises 4 cards in the *other* major and a 4th diamond, without promising 4 cards in the one you bid (albeit described as 'biddable'); bidding diamonds doesn't promise any number of diamonds (albeit biddable) or deny majors; redoubling shows extra strength despite none of the other bids denying it, and no trump and passing don't show any information at all.

Higher level bids are equally bizarre (eg 3 is the same as redouble, except described as 16+ HCP, not total points; while any jump rebid shows 2 stops in that suit, without promising any length).

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-July-28, 17:25

Bidding here should be a great side suit.
Biddable does have a definition for Gib, but biddable isn't good enough here. partner passed and opp has showed other suits. need reason to bid not just practically any 4 card suit.
also the points is silly. Why would you take a bid here with 12 points? should show good hand for same reason.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-28, 23:09

Why should it be a great suit??
Partner shows either both majors inv, or some game force. You have to start bidding your 4cd majors, even when inv, so that partner knows what to do next depending on what he has. So I would bid any 4 cd major regardless of suit quality or overall strength as the takeout doubler, other bids should deny major.

Now in theory it could be right to play transfer rebid by the doubler here , it's good to put the original opener on lead. But I think that's too fancy for Gib to be playing.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users