BBO Discussion Forums: What would you bid after intervening X - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What would you bid after intervening X

#1 User is offline   vladesch 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-July-26, 09:50

My partner and I seem to have a different philosophy about a free bid after a X
My thinking is with a weak hand and a misfit you should just pass and let the opponents play the hand.
He thinks it's good to get in and bid early.

So here is an example hand which we can't agree on.

North's 1h shows 5+ hearts and 11-16 points

I think south should just pass on those cards.
My partner thinks 2C is the go.
What would you bid?

#2 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-July-26, 10:17

My understanding is a 2 level bid after a takeout double is non-forcing so 2 (although not a great bid in my opinion) is an option.

I'm never keen leaving partner in a suit contract - 1X might turn out to be the final contract - with a void (except if he has indicated length and/or strength in his bid suit) so even though you have raised the level of the bidding by one level, there's more chance that you will find partner with some support (but that's not guaranteed).

The vulnerability has to be taken into consideration as well. The last thing you want after passing is partner to rebid and be doubled at a higher level.

So fingers crossed, from me, a grudgingly horrible bid of 2 most of the time.

#3 User is online   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-26, 12:39

You might want to read a recent thread on this subject.

The idea that all strong hands start with a redouble and new suits are non-forcing is out of favour. Most would play changes of suit as forcing and similar to your usual response if there were no double. The other thread discussed a hand at the margins of bidding and revealed some differences of opinion. .

I'm no expert on Precision, but in my opinion, this is nowhere near a 2 bid. You might dredge up a 1 bid, but with a misfit for partner and partner limited to 16 HCP I think that this is a pass.

#4 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-26, 12:49

Hi,

# if you cant decide between change of suit NF or F you could go for transfer responses,
starting with XX / 1 NT / ...
# bidding a suit in a NF should still have purpose, this involves reasonable suits, the
purpose may include the option investigating game ( the precision context makes this
not really relevant), fight for the part score contract (this should imply a min. strength),
lead
# for whats it worth, for us, the hand would be to weak to go in, but I can imagine players,
that would go in, the spade length is a minus

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users