Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1NT-2D as Stayman for hearts

#1 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-July-20, 17:52

Not sure if this is a new idea or not, but I do not think I've heard of it before. Here's a summary of the idea:

- What?: The 2D response to 1NT is "Stayman for hearts" and asks if opener has four+ hearts or not.

- For who?: Mainly for people playing that the transfer to hearts can be a four card suit if invitational.

- Hand types?: Responder can have a normal Jacoby transfer hand (5+ hearts, any strength), or invitational values with 4 hearts, or an invitational hand without a major.

- Why?: Balanced invites without a major can be excluded from 2S/2NT.

1NT-2D;
2H = Not four hearts.
...2S = INV with 5 hearts (additional meanings possible, if desired).
...2NT = INV with less than 5 hearts.
...3C+ = 5+ hearts.
2S = Four+ hearts, accepts an invite with four hearts.
...2NT = Re-invite, less than four hearts.
...3D = Re-transfer. Could be weak.
...3NT = To play.
...Others = GF, sets hearts.
2NT = Four+ hearts, not accepting an invite with four hearts.
...Pass = Had the balanced invite.
...3D = Re-transfer.
...Others = GF sets hearts.

Unfortunately there are several cons to the method:

- If opponents interfere opener can not know if responder has hearts or not :(
- Gets us the the three level as soon as there is a 5-4 heart fit. Some people always super-accept with four though. A solution could be to deny four hearts if holding 3-4-3-3 (but then risks missing 4-4 heart fit).
- Reveals if opener has four+ hearts or not, even if responder isn't interested. Better than playing four way transfers though, where 2C Stayman has to be bid with invitational hands and no major.

Again, the upside would be to not have the "invitational, no major" elsewhere, which can be useful.

#2 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2017-July-20, 18:35

View PostKungsgeten, on 2017-July-20, 17:52, said:

Not sure if this is a new idea or not, but I do not think I've heard of it before.

That the standard Jacoby 2 transfer, with super-accepts promising 4+ H, can also be thought of as a Stayman for hearts, is the basis for glen's Jacoby Stayman and what I called Jacoman in this thread.

#3 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-20, 19:02

View Postnullve, on 2017-July-20, 18:35, said:

That the standard Jacoby 2 transfer, with super-accepts promising 4+ H, can also be thought of as a Stayman for hearts, is the basis for glen's Jacoby Stayman and what I called Jacoman in this thread.

Forgot about that thread, will definitely check it out (again). Thanks!

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-21, 01:42

I read once about how 2 could be a transfer to hearts or a balanced invite. I don't remember the details though.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-21, 05:15

View PostVampyr, on 2017-July-21, 01:42, said:

I read once about how 2 could be a transfer to hearts or a balanced invite. I don't remember the details though.

You can play that 1NT, 2; 2, 2 is a balanced game (or slam) invite. Opener bids 2NT with a minimum, otherwise four-card suits up the line (Baron style). Other continuations after 1NT, 2, 2 show a five-card heart suit and correspond to the equivalent bid after a Jacoby transfer. Breaking the transfer is possible (but can't be on a minimum hand).

Playing this style, you go through Stayman to show five hearts/four spades: 1NT, 2; 2, 3 shows invitational strength and 1NT, 2; 2, 3 is game forcing.

I used to play this years ago and quite liked it. I haven't played it for years.

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2017-July-21, 05:20

We used to play 4 card inv+ transfers in both majors in conjunction with a wide range notrump, it works fine.

We actually used to play 6 steps for responses, 3 ranges without 4, 3 ranges with (6 point range on the 1N).

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-July-21, 06:27

View PostTramticket, on 2017-July-21, 05:15, said:

You can play that 1NT, 2; 2, 2 is a balanced game (or slam) invite. Opener bids 2NT with a minimum, otherwise four-card suits up the line (Baron style). Other continuations after 1NT, 2, 2 show a five-card heart suit and correspond to the equivalent bid after a Jacoby transfer. Breaking the transfer is possible (but can't be on a minimum hand).

Playing this style, you go through Stayman to show five hearts/four spades: 1NT, 2; 2, 3 shows invitational strength and 1NT, 2; 2, 3 is game forcing.

I used to play this years ago and quite liked it. I haven't played it for years.

That's really interesting. You get to invite without revealing much about opener's hand.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-21, 07:23

I play this with my most regular partner. Transfer breaks are limited to 2S (min with 4 hearts) or 2NT (max with 4 hearts) and 3D is a re-transfer.

We play 1NT-2D-3D as game-forcing extended Stayman & 1NT-2D-3M as invitational 5-4s.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#9 User is offline   dokoko 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bidding System Design
    Walking my dogs
    2 player Hanabi

Posted 2017-July-21, 09:55

This method was popular for a while in the 80's (called Marx-Sharples-Transfer), when ppl wanted to play transfers for the minors (a new gadget at that time) without using Stayman with no major. Many claimed technical merit but rather hoped to impress/confuse weaker players.

#10 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2017-July-22, 05:42

You can do a little more than that if you want to, as in inquiry's 1NT system.
(-: Zel :-)

#11 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-22, 06:55

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-July-22, 05:42, said:

You can do a little more than that if you want to, as in inquiry's 1NT system.

Yes I just read Glen's structure ( http://www.bridgematters.com/onent.htm ), which Inquiry's seems to be based upon. He came up with the same idea as me several years ago, figures! :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users