BBO Discussion Forums: BBO tournament substitutions - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO tournament substitutions Can we make it better?

#1 User is offline   trumpfirst 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-July-20, 09:40

I frequently sign up as a substitute for all tournaments. A recurring problem is the notice I receive when a position becomes available. The notice does advise which tournament, and available details of who my partner will be. However, the substitution alert does not state which Board the tournament is currently on, or how many total there are in the tournament. Two problems arise: First, often a substitute is sought for the last Board, which is a very meaningless exercise; or Secondly, the substitution is sought for the first board in a 12 or more Board tournament and I don't have the time to commit to such. I think the computer could easily add the information necessary to advise one being invited to join of the true status and allow an informed decision to be made. Thoughts?

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-July-20, 09:52

I've moved this thread to Suggestions for the Software. Please use General Bridge Discussion for posts about bridge, not BBO.

#3 User is offline   trumpfirst 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-July-25, 10:36

It has now reached all time worst....I just accepted a sub request,only to join the table on the last board AFTER a claim had been accepted....this is just pitiful that the people who write the software and run this site are so callous

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-July-25, 13:02

View Posttrumpfirst, on 2017-July-25, 10:36, said:

It has now reached all time worst....I just accepted a sub request,only to join the table on the last board AFTER a claim had been accepted....this is just pitiful that the people who write the software and run this site are so callous

The invitation to substitute is issued by a human, not by the software. Tournament hosts are normally taught that before issuing an invitation to sub someone they should go to the table and see whether the missing player is dummy, whether the table is waiting between rounds and other common sense scenarios where you can wait before subbing or simply not sub at all because it's not necessary. While the software could protect against some of these cases it's not that much of a problem in practice.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users