• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Turbo - Odd or Even which is better

#21 User is offline   hamish32 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-August-11, 21:08

View Postdokoko, on 2017-July-30, 08:39, said:

If opener has a very strong hand, what does responder do with one KC (in trumps) and no outside control? Play other methods I guess.

your general methods have to be good enough that partner can tell that you had 1 because of the earlier actions. When responder has shown a very weak hand 4NT is 0 and 5T is 1. So long as responder has forced the slam exploration with a very strong hand he should be looking at the rest and so knows the answer.

#22 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-August-28, 13:57

View Postkeylime, on 2017-August-06, 19:26, said:

Turbo doesn't come up that much for Larry and I, but when it happens...4NT is even keycards, 4X is odd, and 5NT promises the queen with even keycards. Normally.

My partner and I have been playing 4NT Turbo for 2 years, happily and without real problems. We recently decided to add 5NT as a denial of the queen, it hasn't happened often yet. Irrespective of whether it denies or affirms the queen (it seemed to us to make more sense as a denial, in particular when trumps are clubs) I am curious to know why you insist it also promises even keycards. If you have an odd number of keycards and already communicated this to partner, he will still be interested in the queen if he lacks it. If partner already told you the parity of his keycards then you already can guess the total and if you deny the queen he will make appropriate inferences. Maybe you are referring to the situation when 4NT was not available as Turbo? In that case we play 5NT as Turbo, with no implications about queen.

#23 User is offline   dokoko 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-September-05, 12:20

seems I didnt describe our method well - at least no other poster understood it.

For example with diamonds agreed:
- cuebids below 4 (if available) show a control in the bid suit, saying nothing about KC
- 4 is waiting
- 4 (the Turbo bid [Kickback]) shows an even number of KC, saying nothing about specific controls
- 4/5 shows a control in the bid suit with an odd number of KC
- 4NT shows a heart control (the Kickback suit) with an odd number of KC

An alternative would be 4 showing an odd number of KC; cuebids bypassing 4 would then show an even number of KC.

My question was just whether there are good reasons to prefer one version to the other.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users