• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-July-17, 14:01

GIB partner opened 1NT and I had

A2
KQJ10654
J
A93

If I use Gerber and then bid 6 after a 1 or 2 ace response, will GIB always pass or could GIB bid 6NT?

#2 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-July-17, 14:20

Not knowing the answer myself I had a look at GIB's convention card, and maybe the easier route is using a Texas transfer of 4 followed by RKCB on this hand. But whether GIB will allow you to play in 6....mmmm....

#3 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-17, 15:37

View PostThe_Badger, on 2017-July-17, 14:20, said:

Not knowing the answer myself I had a look at GIB's convention card, and maybe the easier route is using a Texas transfer of 4 followed by RKCB on this hand. But whether GIB will allow you to play in 6....mmmm....

I didn't want to risk GIB deciding to bid 6NT so I went the Texas transfer route and went down playing from the GIB side when 6 was cold from my side. Turns out 6NT is also cold from the GIB side, so using Gerber and making slam would have given me enough matchpoints to finish 3rd and win $40 in the latest NABC practice tournament instead of finishing 1 spot out of the money.

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-July-17, 17:55

I really hate Gerber! I don't think it is fair showing an example where Gerber is better lol.
If you had finished 3rd then Leo who finished 10th would have been pushed out. This does not bode well for mere mortals chances
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#5 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-18, 11:49

GIB will always pass. Although, if it was a matchpoint game, you should consider bidding 6NT yourself on this particular hand.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#6 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-18, 18:43

View Postjdonn, on 2017-July-18, 11:49, said:

GIB will always pass. Although, if it was a matchpoint game, you should consider bidding 6NT yourself on this particular hand.

Thanks for the information.

With a 2 ace response, I probably would have bid 6NT but I didn't have to think about that because the response to RKC showed an ace was missing. Missing an ace, 6NT isn't nearly as good a contract as 6 so I decided to take an average plus (LOL) on the board.

#7 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-July-19, 11:59

View Postjohnu, on 2017-July-18, 18:43, said:

Thanks for the information.

With a 2 ace response, I probably would have bid 6NT but I didn't have to think about that because the response to RKC showed an ace was missing. Missing an ace, 6NT isn't nearly as good a contract as 6 so I decided to take an average plus (LOL) on the board.

According to Kit Woolsey's Matchpoints book off an Ace you consider bidding 6N as there might be 12 tricks in either contract. With all aces consider bidding 6M as the major suit could have better play for 7.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#8 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-19, 14:51

View Poststeve2005, on 2017-July-19, 11:59, said:

According to Kit Woolsey's Matchpoints book off an Ace you consider bidding 6N as there might be 12 tricks in either contract. With all aces consider bidding 6M as the major suit could have better play for 7.

Double dummy simulations show 6 makes in the mid 90% range, 6NT in the high 60% range with the given hand and knowing that partner has exactly a balanced 15 HCP. It's hard to figure the chance of a successful lead.

With all 5 keycards, the chances for 13 tricks in NT is not that much worse than 13 tricks in hearts for this hand.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users