BBO Discussion Forums: Advanced Robots - Gib tricks 1 signals - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Advanced Robots - Gib tricks 1 signals

#1 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-July-17, 13:27

I don't use the advanced robots very often and I have to say it's defense is much better than the basic bots.
On this hand the robot didn't make the best play at trick 2 because of Gib's methods.
Click for hand
Gib found a lead K that can beat 3N. A small would have worked out better but because of the opening lead book Gib bases it's leads on; K from KQTxx makes sense as a safer lead than 4th best.

West played the 7 count then east switch to Q and contract makes. A small continuation beats 3N.

Now count signals rarely help the defense. An exception is with a doubleton which allows a ruff. No ruffs in NT. So unless count tells the defense they have enough cards to control the suit there is no help.

Much more sensible is attitude signals. Playing standard attitude 8 will give a clear signal to continue. Playing upside down 7 may not be readable. But in any case there is some chance the defense will make the right play at trick 2. With count signals there is almost no chance.

Again I don't know how difficult it would be to change the signal's of Gib's programming. Gib's programming for defense I believe is more difficult to change than most programs.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-17, 17:29

If the 7 was low from 3, then West had A87 or J87 and a low continuation is right.

If the 7 was high showing even count, West should have A7xx or J7xx. I would play 8 from 87xx to show count.

7 could be high from doubleton but that gives declarer 5 diamonds and then you aren't going to set up diamonds.

I've decided that GIB usually gives count when following suit, but I haven't made any final conclusions about what it plays after honor leads.

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-July-17, 17:50

interesting maybe Gib read as doubleton I hadn't considered that.
I did say 7 hard to read if using udca, so maybe same problem.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users