• You cannot reply to this topic

Bidding Competition!

#61 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-July-17, 01:42

View Postwank, on 2017-July-16, 22:07, said:

Btw wrt 3H being pre-emptive by 'expert consensus', I think that's an American thing. In my area it's invitational, stronger then 2 and with a 5th card which 2 might not have (2 being 8-11 with 4 or a bit less with 5 which I gather from a previous discussion you hate). I know that's the case for fluffy too, because it's come up before. When 3rd hand has passed I don't see the need for a pre-empt personally.

No it's not American thing. Most Americans I know are stranger to it. They play like you the other style 3 showing 5+ and invitational while 2 can be made by 4 cards. In fact they usually play 2 showing exactly 4 and 3 showing 5, that is what I hate.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#62 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-17, 02:44

I actually checked with David Gold and you maybe right, Alex. He said "it is common among top experts in America but not reached England yet, not many players plays it weak 6 cards in England" The reason I wrote "it's not American thing" is because I know many top players from Europe who plays it as I said but that may be due to playing almost all nationals here. I don't know....
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#63 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-17, 02:51

View PostPhantomSac, on 2017-July-14, 14:57, said:

Hand 4, are the people who are not bidding 6S trying to get to 7, or trying to get to hearts, or trying to stop in 5 (?).

Yes, the main aim is to investigate grand - I figured that was clear from me by my writing that the FP route might result in a 6 call the following round. Out of interest, how do you personally bid your FNJ hand type on this kind of auction? 5 followed by 6 seems like the most natural but a FP followed by bidding hearts seems to me an elegant solution for an otherwise under-utilised auction.

View Postgnasher, on 2017-July-16, 00:39, said:

On 2, I think double certainly should be for takeout. I don't think I've ever had a penalty double in this auction, from either side - this is one auction where they always have a solid overcall.

On #2 I think the double should be competitive rather than strictly takeout or penalty, in effect DSIP.

View PostMrAce, on 2017-July-17, 01:42, said:

In fact they usually play 2 showing exactly 4 and 3 showing 5, that is what I hate.

That does indeed seem like a poor method but I would assume it is only played at club level and not by experts. On the other hand, it seems like a reasonable debate as to whether a double jump is better used as to play opposite 19-21 balanced (your suggested Qxxxxx and out) or GF opposite that hand (adding an extra king somewhere, for example).
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users