BBO Discussion Forums: Daylong Tournament, not all play the same boards? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Daylong Tournament, not all play the same boards?

#1 User is offline   billyjef 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:solitude, bridge, philosophy, evolution, game theory, science, neuroscience, psychology, atheism, mindfulness and the distraction of TV

Posted 2017-June-27, 04:34

I was just reviewing some hands from a recent daylong I played in and realized while comparing hands that all the players don't always play the same hands? For my own curiosity, how do the boards get generated and what are the parameters? Thanks.
Jef Pratt
Surrendering to existential truth is the beginning of enlightenment.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-June-27, 07:39

View Postbillyjef, on 2017-June-27, 04:34, said:

I was just reviewing some hands from a recent daylong I played in and realized while comparing hands that all the players don't always play the same hands? For my own curiosity, how do the boards get generated and what are the parameters? Thanks.

There are multiple deals for each board (20 in the advanced daylongs, 80 in the free ones), and you get the deal from a random set for each board. This is an anti-cheating measure: telling your friend the hands you played won't help him much, since he'll play different boards. Your score is based on comparing with just the people who played the same deal.

#3 User is offline   hmw 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-June-28, 06:56

View Postbarmar, on 2017-June-27, 07:39, said:

There are multiple deals for each board (20 in the advanced daylongs, 80 in the free ones), and you get the deal from a random set for each board. This is an anti-cheating measure: telling your friend the hands you played won't help him much, since he'll play different boards. Your score is based on comparing with just the people who played the same deal.

I always wondered about the final total scores and the results that are shown for each board, which I thought appeared to be some sort of subset, but I couldn't ever work how it was selected. I once worked out that the winner's total score could not have been achieved playing the boards that were shown, the winning total being much greater than the sum of the top scores on each of the boards.
After reading your answer about the 20 different sets of boards, I still don't understand what the results shown are based upon. Can you explain that?

#4 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-June-28, 11:50

View Posthmw, on 2017-June-28, 06:56, said:

I always wondered about the final total scores and the results that are shown for each board, which I thought appeared to be some sort of subset, but I couldn't ever work how it was selected. I once worked out that the winner's total score could not have been achieved playing the boards that were shown, the winning total being much greater than the sum of the top scores on each of the boards.
After reading your answer about the 20 different sets of boards, I still don't understand what the results shown are based upon. Can you explain that?

For matchpoint tourneys, each board's score is their matchpoint percentage among all the people playing the same deal, and their total is the average of the 8 boards.

For IMP tourneys, each board's score is the average cross-IMPs among the people playing the same deal, and their total is the sum of all 8 boards.

#5 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-28, 16:14

View Postbarmar, on 2017-June-27, 07:39, said:

...20 in the advanced daylongs, 80 in the free ones...

I think there are 100 in the free ones?
Or has this been changed?

#6 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-June-29, 14:31

The deal pool number has changed, and I regard this as something that will respond to player turnout.

Right now for free it is

Mon-Wed : 80 per board
Thurs-Fri: 40 per board
Sat-Sun: 20 per board

I believe for pay ones it is 20 per board right now.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#7 User is offline   billyjef 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:solitude, bridge, philosophy, evolution, game theory, science, neuroscience, psychology, atheism, mindfulness and the distraction of TV

Posted 2017-June-29, 16:17

View Postbillyjef, on 2017-June-27, 04:34, said:

What will it be for the Online ACBL NABC?

Jef Pratt
Surrendering to existential truth is the beginning of enlightenment.

#8 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-June-29, 19:14

View Postbillyjef, on 2017-June-29, 16:17, said:

What will it be for the Online ACBL NABC?

If you mean deal pool, it's going to be a large number, large enough to make it extremely difficult to cheat by sharing info. Don't know how many yet till we have a sense of what numbers we'll get, and I doubt we'll share the info even when we know. Security first. :D
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-June-29, 19:38

View PostRain, on 2017-June-29, 19:14, said:

If you mean deal pool, it's going to be a large number, large enough to make it extremely difficult to cheat by sharing info. Don't know how many yet till we have a sense of what numbers we'll get, and I doubt we'll share the info even when we know. Security first. :D

And it's going to use a more elaborate system for assigning deals to players. You won't play the same deals as anyone you've partnered with in a BBO or f2f tournament in the past few years, or anyone with a similar IP.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users