• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TP and HCP What is TP?

#1 User is offline   janeball 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-June-26, 09:45

National Online Tournament FAQ paragraph 7
I asked what was TP and the response I got from the help desk was 'HCP plus 3 for a void, 2 for a singleton and 1 for a doubleton' Isn't this what Goren taught? I have problems with it because modern beginner teaching does traditional HCP plus one point for every card more than 4 in a suit. This to me is much more sensible. What use is a void in your partner's suit? The help desk also said HCP was the traditional 4,3,2,1 with nothing about that extra point for every card over four.

Are we really using Goren? That might explain some of my bidding problems. There were a couple of times last night where the robot having passed before decided to bid the opponents suit at the three level thereby guaranteeing I went down.

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-June-26, 10:22

My link

HCP vs Total Points

Gib uses both old fashioned HCP (A=4, K=3, Q=2, J=1)) and “Total points” (HCP+3 for void, 2 for singleton, 1 for doubleton, but short suits containing an honor are reduced by 1 point). It will usually force to game if it thinks it has 25 Total Points between the two hands.

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-June-26, 14:05

GIB will sometimes take short suit points on a total misfit hand, and seemingly double or triple their value so the GIB description of a bid has no resemblance to the actual hand. This seems to be random so everybody is at the same disadvantage.

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-June-27, 07:43

View Postjohnu, on 2017-June-26, 14:05, said:

GIB will sometimes take short suit points on a total misfit hand, and seemingly double or triple their value so the GIB description of a bid has no resemblance to the actual hand. This seems to be random so everybody is at the same disadvantage.

Unfortunately, GIB doesn't know that it shouldn't count shortness in suits partner has bid.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users