• You cannot reply to this topic

2/1 bidding spades over hearts

#1 User is offline   zg1984 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-June-26, 09:28

If I am using 2/1 and my partner opens 1H and I hold:

What is my bid?
My guess would be 1NT, followed by Spades on my second bid.

Alternatively, what is my response to 1H if I have:

Glenn

This post has been edited by barmar: 2017-June-27, 07:14
Reason for edit: Convert to hand diagrams

#2 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-June-26, 09:49

They both look like 1S bids to me, although 4S would be ok with the first and 2S followed by 4S with the second (unless you play weak jump shifts, which seems to be the current popular approach).

Neither is a 1NT bid, unless you have a specific agreement with partner on this. With some players if you respond 1NT to an opening 1H and then bid 2S it would be taken as a showing both minors, as it couldn't possibly be natural given that you have denied a spade suit with your 1NT response.

#3 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-June-26, 10:01

You have two four card majors (both spades) and I would show one of them :D

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-June-26, 10:17

Where did you get 1N as the obvious bid?
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#5 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-26, 10:18

2/1 doesn't apply to spades. The normal thing is to bid spades, always 1, then make a forcing bid of some sort over a non-forcing reply. Rebidding spades below game may be passed, so if you want to be in game you have to either rebid game, or bid a new - possibly invented - minor if you need to hear more from partner. And you hope that is not five of the minor.

#6 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-June-26, 11:32

Typically, it's OK to assume partner has at least a stiff in your suit when trying to evaluate a distributional hand. With either of these hands, you want to play in for sure opposite a stiff.

For the first hand, it depends on your agreements about the potential meaning of what 4 would mean. If partner would take that as natural, then that would be a possibility. Otherwise, start with 1 . If partner makes a minimum rebid, then rebid 4 next. If partner shows extras, slam may be a possibility with this 8 card suit.

It should be 1 to be sure for the second hand. Then you should follow with a forcing rebid, followed by at least to 4 on the 2nd rebid. Slam may be a possibility even opposite a minimum 1 opener with this hand.

#7 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-26, 14:20

How would you respond playing standard American, acol, or whatever your preferred system is?

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-26, 17:45

I would bid 1 with the first one playing any system. On the second I would bid a strong jump shift in spades if available; for me that would be 2NT and that is what I would bid.

1NT is not in the ballpark, or even in the universe.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-June-27, 07:21

Bidding 1NT generally denies a spade suit of 4 or more cards. In fact, if the auction goes 1-1NT-2minor-2, this is usually played as a convention called "Impossible Spade", showing a good raise for opener's minor (around 11 points and 5+ cards in the suit).

#10 User is offline   zg1984 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-June-27, 15:38

Thanks for all the answers. It seems that, just because I am playing 2/1, does not mean all bids between us must start out that way.

#11 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-June-28, 09:27

View Postzg1984, on 2017-June-27, 15:38, said:

Thanks for all the answers. It seems that, just because I am playing 2/1, does not mean all bids between us must start out that way.

Yes, that seems to be a common misunderstand of newcomers to the system -- they think that if they have a game forcing hand they must start with a 2/1 bid, and if they bid 1/1 they're denying that strength. But it's the other way around: you need a stronger hand to bid 2/1, but 1-level suit bids are mostly unchanged from Standard American. 1NT is the catch-all bid you use when you can't make some other bid, either because you're not strong enough for a game force, or because you don't have a biddable suit on the 1 level.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users