Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Desktop Software?

#1 User is offline   Thrake 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-June-25, 06:29

I played Bridge years ago and now, my father is playing it.
He said, that he has some problems by playing bridge online and that he got a virus because of your software
That's the reason, why I am back now to check, what's happened.

I am wondering, why there is no Bridge software available and that the downloaded version isn't working anymore. Now, I see, that you have replaced your software with a flash software.

Adobe Flash? Are you serious? Do you know, that Flash is the most unsecure software for doing anything? It's dying slowly and will be replaced with other technologies like HTML5. Can anybody please tell me, why do you replaced your software with an virus getting flash version?
Now, my father got a virus because of your software on Windows 10. And it's not a small virus, which is doing nothing. He has a blackmail ransomware, which blocks his computer with a big BKA warning.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-June-25, 16:35

The Flash version has been our preferred version for many years. We announced about six months ago that we were phasing out the download version.

We're working on an HTML5 replacement, but can't provide a timetable when it will be ready to replace the Flash version.

if your father is having trouble getting the Flash version to work, he should send mail to support@bridgebase.com explaining the problem. If going back to the download version is the only solution, they can enable it for his account.

There's no virus in our software. It's possible that one of the advertisers was somehow passing along a virus. But if it infected his computer, it probably means his anti-virus software is not up-to-date. Make sure his AV is working correctly.

#3 User is offline   Thrake 

• Pip

Posted 2017-June-26, 11:43

View Postbarmar, on 2017-June-25, 16:35, said:

The Flash version has been our preferred version for many years. We announced about six months ago that we were phasing out the download version.

But you know, that Flash shall be NEVER ever a "preferred version" because of security? There are a lot of news about Flash. You shouldn't ignore it-

We're working on an HTML5 replacement, but can't provide a timetable when it will be ready to replace the Flash version.

That's a good news. The bad news is, that it has a "when it's done" release date.

if your father is having trouble getting the Flash version to work, he should send mail to support@bridgebase.com explaining the problem. If going back to the download version is the only solution, they can enable it for his account.

Can you please tell me, how I can enable an account for the download version?
Why are you not enable both version, the desktop and the (unsecure) flash version? Then, everyone can choose, what he's prefering and choose his favorite.
My father can't speak English. So, a mail is not a good solution for him.

There's no virus in our software. It's possible that one of the advertisers was somehow passing along a virus. But if it infected his computer, it probably means his anti-virus software is not up-to-date. Make sure his AV is working correctly.

Make sure, that your program is not providing any virus (or your ads). Sorry, but if your game is spreading out a virus then there is a serious problem and you shall solve it.

#4 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-June-27, 08:04

View PostThrake, on 2017-June-26, 11:43, said:

But you know, that Flash shall be NEVER ever a "preferred version" because of security? There are a lot of news about Flash. You shouldn't ignore it-

The choice was between Java and Flash. I'm sure you'll agree that the choice we made was correct, Java's security reputation has been much worse than Flash's. I'm not aware of any currently known security problems in Flash -- Adobe updates it every week or two to fix security problems as soon as they learn of them.

Can you please tell me, how I can enable an account for the download version?

I told you, send mail to support@bridgebase.com, they will do it if there's a reasonable explanation of why he can't use the Flash version.

Why are you not enable both version, the desktop and the (unsecure) flash version? Then, everyone can choose, what he's prefering and choose his favorite.

Because we're trying to get rid of the download version. We used to allow both, we stopped in January. We posted an announcement in the application and here several months before we did it.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-June-27, 08:05

View PostThrake, on 2017-June-26, 11:43, said:

Make sure, that your program is not providing any virus (or your ads). Sorry, but if your game is spreading out a virus then there is a serious problem and you shall solve it.

We haven't received any other complaints that our game is spreading a virus.

#6 User is offline   Thrake 

• Pip

Posted 2017-June-27, 13:39

View Postbarmar, on 2017-June-27, 08:04, said:

The choice was between Java and Flash. I'm sure you'll agree that the choice we made was correct, Java's security reputation has been much worse than Flash's. I'm not aware of any currently known security problems in Flash -- Adobe updates it every week or two to fix security problems as soon as they learn of them.

Why only Java or Flash? What about C#? C++ (with Qt to be os independent)? Why not somnething else? Or why a replacement?
I liked the old version and it was a good software. The flash version is a liitle bit confused. Some parts are written in German and other parts are in English for example.

I told you, send mail to support@bridgebase.com, they will do it if there's a reasonable explanation of why he can't use the Flash version.

Ok, thank you for that!

Because we're trying to get rid of the download version. We used to allow both, we stopped in January. We posted an announcement in the application and here several months before we did it.

Same question above: Why do want to get rid of it? Was it really so bad?

#7 User is offline   Ovis 

• PipPip

Posted 2017-June-28, 02:20

View PostThrake, on 2017-June-27, 13:39, said:

Why only Java or Flash? What about C#? C++ (with Qt to be os independent)? Why not somnething else? Or why a replacement?
I liked the old version and it was a good software. The flash version is a liitle bit confused. Some parts are written in German and other parts are in English for example.

Ok, thank you for that!

Same question above: Why do want to get rid of it? Was it really so bad?

Hi

A few answers to questions here (wrote this before in the forums):

BBO admins chose FLASH because now they can get rich by opening part of the display to Google and other revolving advertising robots. As these usually track you deep into the bowels, playing becomes unstable as soon as you filter this tracking. If you don't try to be precaucious you get malware in your systam. That's how it is.

Besides they took a long time telling uncautious players they had no choice than to switch to a browser version. I quote this as not being honest. The Windows version with downloaded software had it's limitation but was doing fine.

Sadly we have to get by with that flash dangerous crap. The aggressive advertising kicks you out all the time and there is no browser that really copes with that interruptions.

Hope HTML5 will help some and that atitudes of admins is more considerate in the future.

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-June-28, 12:31

View PostThrake, on 2017-June-27, 13:39, said:

The old version only runs on Windows. BBO needed a replacement that would run in browsers on any computer. At the time, Flash and Java were the only reasonable choices.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users