BBO Discussion Forums: How sharp is your axe? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How sharp is your axe?

Poll: How sharp is your axe? (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call?

1. P (23 votes [57.50%])

Percentage of vote: 57.50%

2. X (17 votes [42.50%])

Percentage of vote: 42.50%

3. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-June-22, 03:26

IMPs, neither side vul. Opps are playing 4cM weak NT. South is a good player, North less so. Your call?

ahydra

#2 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-June-22, 04:52

North had the opportunity of giving preference to 3 and didn't, and really do you want to turn a part score into game by doubling at IMPs? It could be going down 2 or 3, but I suspect it is only going down at 1 at the most, and there's a fair chance you might be endplayed too.

By doubling you could also put pressure on partner to remove to 3 (although he should trust you), and anyway, that 2 overcall could be lead-directing as opposed to anything substantial.

So, even with 3 potential tricks in your hand, I'm inclined to pass - call me cowardly if you want. The last thing you want (I am assuming this is IMPs teams) is a borderline decision being converted into a big swing.

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-22, 05:33

At IMPS you were about to play 2 and either gain +110 or +130 or -50 or -100. So you do not have any serious score to protect. Why did South not balance with DBL? He either has a massive 2 suiter or he is short in spades. Something like the hand I constructed below in which everyone has their bids.....There are also other ways of losing the board, you said N is not a good player so perhaps he/she made a mistake by passing 3 and/or opener made a mistake by bidding this way with 6-7 and only 4. I would just leave them alone at imps.

EDIT: If there is anyone who thinks W should not pass our DBL, then I can change our hand to a real double hand with more serious clubs values and less spade values, which may be a serious concern for W to figure where to park all these spade and heart losers, when his pd had an easy +300 or +500 with his double.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2017-June-22, 08:05

MrAce, on 2017-June-22, 05:33, said:

At IMPS you were about to play 2 and either gain +110 or +130 or -50 or -100. So you do not have any serious score to protect. Why did South not balance with DBL? He either has a massive 2 suiter or he is short in spades. Something like the hand I constructed below in which everyone has their bids.....There are also other ways of losing the board, you said N is not a good player so perhaps he/she made a mistake by passing 3 and/or opener made a mistake by bidding this way with 6-7 and only 4. I would just leave them alone at imps.

EDIT: If there is anyone who thinks W should not pass our DBL, then I can change our hand to a real double hand with more serious clubs values and less spade values, which may be a serious concern for W to figure where to park all these spade and heart losers, when his pd had an easy +300 or +500 with his double.

So you've constructed a hand where partner has no defense, we aren't cashing a spade trick and we still might beat this?

By the way, "protecting a score" doesn't apply to IMPs.

I would make a penalty double. They have probably stepped into a misfit since responder did not take preference to 3H.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2017-June-22, 09:18

MrAce, on 2017-June-22, 05:33, said:

Well if E overcalled 2 with a hand that is a 3 overcall, he really ought to remove your X, he should have a better hand than this opposite a passed partner in my book.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-June-22, 10:14

Cyberyeti, on 2017-June-22, 09:18, said:

Well if E overcalled 2 with a hand that is a 3 overcall, he really ought to remove your X, he should have a better hand than this opposite a passed partner in my book.

No, 3 means you have 7 of them. You can bid 3 with that hand but don't give me the BS as if it is textbook 3 for everyone. Your diamonds are good for preempt but you are too strong for preempt, no need to mention you have too many defensive potential.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-June-22, 10:49

Phil, on 2017-June-22, 08:05, said:

So you've constructed a hand where partner has no defense, we aren't cashing a spade trick and we still might beat this?

No you can not beat it but you want a spade cashing hand?
OK.

Or you may actually beat it depending on the lead such as (and good luck with finding the spade lead)

By the way, "protecting a score" doesn't apply to IMPs.

That is your opinion of course but I disagree.

I would make a penalty double. They have probably stepped into a misfit since responder did not take preference to 3H.

That is one way to interpret it. Or they found a legit fit in their 2nd suit. I would not argue with my pd had he doubled and they made it. But I would not double.

#8 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-June-22, 11:05

Pass.

LHO has shown a pretty distributional hand. It could be 6-4 but more likely at least 5-5. RHO has shown a preference for and failed to raise last time. Your also sitting in front of the bidder. 3 doubled making is converting a part score swing at worst to a game swing -- the kiss of death at IMPs.

So this is a hand where it's more prudent to just pass and take a positive if it results. In a part score hand, any positive is par. Which would you rather do in the post mortem - explain +50 vs. +100 or explain -110 vs. -470?

#9 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-22, 12:19

x marks the spot. Once upon a time a hand comes up where declarer makes 3cx but for the overwhelming majority of the time we are collecting a bonus and only the size of the bonus is up for grabs. There is a strong case to be made that our first pass gave south the impression N might have power they could not show over 2d. S was just unlucky we had pretty much all the power plus 5 clubs. Our 3 1/2 defensive tricks opposite a 2 lvl overcall could easily yield a huge gain.

#10 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2017-June-22, 12:41

MrAce, on 2017-June-22, 10:14, said:

No, 3 means you have 7 of them. You can bid 3 with that hand but don't give me the BS as if it is textbook 3 for everyone. Your diamonds are good for preempt but you are too strong for preempt, no need to mention you have too many defensive potential.

A wjo opposite a passed partner is wide ranging and shows 6 for most people I know, I would want what most people consider a sound opening hand to (non jump) overcall at the 2 level, so a little better than this. You don't actually have that much defensive potential, the diamond suit is likely waste paper in defence.

#11 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2017-June-22, 21:05

MrAce, on 2017-June-22, 10:49, said:

<carefully concocted outlier hands>

In a parallel universe, my RHO had a trap pass of partner's overcall with 5=1=5=2 and LHO liked his 2=5=1=5. This time, partner actually had some defense which is not completely unexpected for a two level overcall and we carted them out for 800.

Of course this is a best case scenario but I expect 300 or 500 a lot of the time, 100 some of the time and a rare -470.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-June-22, 21:19

Phil, on 2017-June-22, 21:05, said:

In a parallel universe, my RHO had a trap pass of partner's overcall with 5=1=5=2 and LHO liked his 2=5=1=5. This time, partner actually had some defense which is not completely unexpected for a two level overcall and we carted them out for 800.

Of course this is a best case scenario but I expect 300 or 500 a lot of the time, 100 some of the time and a rare -470.

I see it slightly different. Rare -470 and +500. More often +100 or +300. So you and George(Gszes) may be right on DBL being the winner in the long run and passing being pessimist, I admit.

#13 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-22, 21:51

Hmm, having read all that the reaction to my 2D bid and South's 3C should be interesting! <grabs popcorn>

Partner passed it out, I led the 3 and we collected 250.

I thought partner should X on the grounds that they've clearly got themselves too high, and if North doesn't have hearts, I must do, so there's no issue with them running to 3H. But he expected South to have something a bit better than this, which is fair enough.

ahydra

#14 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-22, 23:13

If the opponents bid like that, it shouldn't matter what you do on this board, as long as you get to play several more boards against them.

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-June-23, 01:16

I need new reading glasses I guess, because I thought you wrote

ahydra, on 2017-June-22, 03:26, said:

South is a good player,......

Posted Image

#16 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2017-June-23, 01:44

MrAce, on 2017-June-23, 01:16, said:

I need new reading glasses I guess, because I thought you wrote

Posted Image

Your yellow smiley face seems somehow appropriate, as if he really is a good player, he clearly dropped a lot of acid before making this bid

#17 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-June-23, 03:08

Cyberyeti, on 2017-June-23, 01:44, said:

Your yellow smiley face seems somehow appropriate, as if he really is a good player, he clearly dropped a lot of acid before making this bid

Posted Image

#18 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-June-23, 04:21

Wow, that is a terrible 3 bid on a tepid 13 count. :o

If any call is made over 2 , it probably should be DBL. But North with no values and only defense against should probably pass as 2 x is not game. It looks like that would result in making 3 for a +280.

If 2 x comes back to East, I think East sits for it as any noise may make things worse.

The 2 bid looks right.

After 3 , I wouldn't double either with the West hand. Make the hand something like KQxx Kxx AQxxx x, then maybe DBL is right because you'd be OK if partner pulls to . Only holding KJx makes a DBL a bit more problematic.

In any case, +250 should get you a nice part score swing. :D

#19 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-June-23, 05:11

rmnka447, on 2017-June-23, 04:21, said:

The 2 bid looks right.

I know i am minority but I'd rather overcall 1 NT with W hand.

#20 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-June-23, 05:34

Kaitlyn S, on 2017-June-22, 23:13, said:

If the opponents bid like that, it shouldn't matter what you do on this board, as long as you get to play several more boards against them.

Deleted. I missed that South had 2 doubletons.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users