BBO Discussion Forums: How sharp is your axe? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How sharp is your axe?

Poll: How sharp is your axe? (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call?

1. P (23 votes [57.50%])

Percentage of vote: 57.50%

2. X (17 votes [42.50%])

Percentage of vote: 42.50%

3. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-June-23, 07:23

Partner made a 2 level overcall. If it's not safe to double with this you are playing a style of leading with your chin.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#22 User is offline   RD350LC 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-June-23, 08:14

View Postrmnka447, on 2017-June-22, 11:05, said:

Pass.

LHO has shown a pretty distributional hand. It could be 6-4 but more likely at least 5-5. RHO has shown a preference for and failed to raise last time. Your also sitting in front of the bidder. 3 doubled making is converting a part score swing at worst to a game swing -- the kiss of death at IMPs.

So this is a hand where it's more prudent to just pass and take a positive if it results. In a part score hand, any positive is par. Which would you rather do in the post mortem - explain +50 vs. +100 or explain -110 vs. -470?

At matchpoints, I would likely hit it, but not at IMPs. I agree completely with these comments-as indicated, south is a good player. You may have 5 trumps, but only 1 trump trick, and your trumps are upstream of south.
I would pass at IMPS.

#23 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-June-23, 15:06

Lots to comment on here:

1. At IMPs I certainly agree with East's final pass. It's not worth risking minus 470. If you were making 2D, you'll likely go plus 50 or 100, and if you weren't making 2D, then any plus your way is good. At MPs, I think I'd X; the gains should outweigh the losses.

2. I'm not a fan of West's 2D overcall on such a lousy suit. I don't much care for 1NT or pass, either. Not sure what the best choice is. Any thoughts, anyone?

3. If West is going to overcall on hands like that, then I suppose pass is quite reasonable with East's hand. But if West has a "normal" good 2D overcall, then East takes a big risk of missing game by passing. After all, West could have Kx KJx AQJTxx xx, and game is apt to be pretty easy.

4. I really don't care for South's 3C bid. That's just asking for it. You said South was a good player; if so, he made a very uncharacteristic bid here.

Cheers,
mike

#24 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2017-June-23, 18:57

PASS.I shall not take any risk at IMP scoring.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users