Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Slam - Best line of play?

#1 User is offline   Dinarius 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-June-19, 13:19

This hand arose today in the European Open.

In this case it was in a match between France Open Senior and Vinci.

Both reached 6

The first time it was played, the French declarer played A(playing for the drop) and the stripped the hand of and

He then threw in East, who was forced to play a or yield a ruff and discard. When the K was wrong, he was minus one.

The Italian declarer took the successful trump finesse and then almost made a mess of the hand. (worth replaying). All he had to do (after stripping / was run the Q. West must then give him a free finesse in or a ruff/discard.)

The commentators expressed dismay at the way the French declarer played the hand. They praised the Italian for his line (and criticized him for almost making a mess of it then.)

What I'd like to know is this......

Was the French declarer correct in combining chances by cashing A first and then playing for the 50% (I think) chance of the K being right, rather than the straight 50% finesse?

Or was the Italian correct (as the commentators seemed to think) in finessing in trumps?

Did the French declarer, in fact, give himself and tiny extra percentage?

It was board 14 this morning.

Thanks.

D.

#2 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2017-June-19, 14:22

View PostDinarius, on 2017-June-19, 13:19, said:

Both reached 6

The first time it was played, the French declarer played A(playing for the drop) and the stripped the hand of and

He then threw in East, who was forced to play a or yield a ruff and discard. When the K was wrong, he was minus one.

Not sure what the French declarer was trying to achieve here, because getting a ruff and sluff wouldn't help one bit.

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-June-19, 14:37

This hand arose today in the European Open.In this case it was in a match between France Open Senior and Vinci. Both reached 6 The first time it was played, the French declarer played A(playing for the drop) and the stripped the hand of and He then threw in East, who was forced to play a or yield a ruff and discard. When the K was wrong, he was minus one.The Italian declarer took the successful trump finesse and then almost made a mess of the hand. (worth replaying). All he had to do (after stripping / was run the Q. West must then give him a free finesse in or a ruff/discard.)The commentators expressed dismay at the way the French declarer played the hand. They praised the Italian for his line (and criticized him for almost making a mess of it then.)What I'd like to know is this...... Was the French declarer correct in combining chances by cashing A first and then playing for the 50% (I think) chance of the K being right, rather than the straight 50% finesse? Or was the Italian correct (as the commentators seemed to think) in finessing in trumps? Did the French declarer, in fact, give himself and tiny extra percentage? It was board 14 this morning.
I didn't watch the match but, IMO, the Italian declarer's line is better. (In the French declarer's line, if RHO had held Kx(x), then he could give declarer a ruff/discard to defeat the contract).

#4 User is offline   Dinarius 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-June-19, 15:24

View Postnullve, on 2017-June-19, 14:22, said:

Not sure what the French declarer was trying to achieve here, because getting a ruff and sluff wouldn't help one bit.

Yes, of course, you're right.

Even if the player with ♣️K also has the ❤️K - which he must have for the French line to have any chance, he can lead away from it coz North's third ❤️ means there's no ruff and discard, or at least it still leaves him with a losing ❤️

But, while the Italian started correctly, his finish was almost as bad. Encouraging for mere mortals like me. 😊

D.

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-19, 19:23

This hand arose today in the European Open.

In this case it was in a match between France Open Senior and Vinci.

Both reached 6

The Italian declarer took the successful trump finesse and then almost made a mess of the hand. (worth replaying). All he had to do (after stripping / was run the Q. West must then give him a free finesse in or a ruff/discard.)

The commentators expressed dismay at the way the French declarer played the hand. They praised the Italian for his line (and criticized him for almost making a mess of it then.)

What I'd like to know is this......

Was the French declarer correct in combining chances by cashing A first and then playing for the 50% (I think) chance of the K being right, rather than the straight 50% finesse?

Or was the Italian correct (as the commentators seemed to think) in finessing in trumps?

Did the French declarer, in fact, give himself and tiny extra percentage?

It was board 14 this morning.

Thanks.

D.

I was commentator and if you check the BBO records I wrote in my comment (as a reply to Ritong (Henri Schweitzer) that French player's line would not work if defenders decided to play ruff'n sluff, unless J dropped. At one table declarer received a lead and won with T. I think that was Mr. Vinci declaring. In that case the French player line could make sense but not without the lead.

But note that 1 overcall played a big role in the line of French player. If you convince yourself that the K is off-side, then I have sympathy to his line. Most West players did not overcall or they just overcalled 2.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-19, 19:32

View PostDinarius, on 2017-June-19, 15:24, said:

Even if the player with ♣️K also has the ❤️K - which he must have for the French line to have any chance, he can lead away from it coz North's third ❤️ means there's no ruff and discard, or at least it still leaves him with a losing ❤️

But, while the Italian started correctly, his finish was almost as bad. Encouraging for mere mortals like me. 😊

D.

As we said already ruff'n sluff ruins the endplay but if it did not, then the player with K (WEST) playing under his J would also solve the problem, so he does not need to hold K in order the endplay to work. That does not work, however, when E has the K.

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users