Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reputation Questions

#1 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-June-18, 20:53

1. I find that it's easy to brush against the plus sign on a tablet and give someone positive reputation unintentionally. Is there a way to teke it back in those cases?

2. I've had 986 posts and have a +189 reputation but I am not allowed to give a negative reputation. What does it take to do that? And isn't almost everybody going to have a great reputation when almost nobody can click on the minus?

Now, normally, I would not give a negative reputation. However, I ran across a situation where I would consider doing it if I could. I suspect a user to be trolling, and when I mentioned that, another user suggested that this was his impression from another thread also. However, if he is in fact trolling, he's going to do it to several people in different threads that are unlikely to talk to each other. If he had some negative reputation, others would be aware that he might be trolling. (Of course, I would never give negative reputation for simply disagreeing with me; if people did that, I'd be -1000 or so from the water cooler! :D )

Also, I would be really hesitant to give someone negative reputation if I couldn't take it back if the person later proves to not have any bad intentions. Plus, I feel like a -1 rep is only a minor "accusation" whereas reporting the person (however one does that) would be a major accusation.

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2017-June-18, 23:31

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2017-June-18, 20:53, said:

1. I find that it's easy to brush against the plus sign on a tablet and give someone positive reputation unintentionally. Is there a way to teke it back in those cases?

2. I've had 986 posts and have a +189 reputation but I am not allowed to give a negative reputation. What does it take to do that? And isn't almost everybody going to have a great reputation when almost nobody can click on the minus?

Now, normally, I would not give a negative reputation. However, I ran across a situation where I would consider doing it if I could. I suspect a user to be trolling, and when I mentioned that, another user suggested that this was his impression from another thread also. However, if he is in fact trolling, he's going to do it to several people in different threads that are unlikely to talk to each other. If he had some negative reputation, others would be aware that he might be trolling. (Of course, I would never give negative reputation for simply disagreeing with me; if people did that, I'd be -1000 or so from the water cooler! :D )

Also, I would be really hesitant to give someone negative reputation if I couldn't take it back if the person later proves to not have any bad intentions. Plus, I feel like a -1 rep is only a minor "accusation" whereas reporting the person (however one does that) would be a major accusation.

Many years ago, the negative button was turned off. There were multiple reasons for this, and there was a discussion if the plus button should be turned off as well... As a long time valuable BBO forum member, you really deserve much more than 189.... :rolleyes:
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-June-19, 08:44

View Postinquiry, on 2017-June-18, 23:31, said:

As a long time valuable BBO forum member, you really deserve much more than 189.... :rolleyes:

She's been here less than a year. I guess it seems longer because she's had so many good posts during that time.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users